Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 13-05-2012, 09:23 AM   #1
MeImNot
Incubating

Question A month after an RI reinfection

Hello Guys,

This is my first post in yr forum so thanks in advance for hearing me out I've got a 20 month old hermanni, i got her when she was 6 months old. Last January she got a severe RI, vet gave me Baytril baths for 3 weeks (every other day) but on the second week gave me doxycycline as well to add to her food daily also for 3 weeks. This went very well and on the second week of doxy, her RI symptoms had stopped...I was all happy until a month later symptoms started again Vet again started me on doxy and we did a culture that resulted in a staphylococcus infection which is sensitive to doxy..so we were good. Around the 3rd week on doxy the symptoms started to subside and after 4 weeks symptoms had stopped.

Now a month has passed from the last time i stopped her antibiotics...and I'm getting paranoid that it will happen again, she has no symptoms but in the morning when she wakes up I can sometimes hear like a very faint gurgling noise (its not exactly gurgling, but similiar)...so my question, is it normal that when breathing they sometimes make a faint noise?

Sorry for the long post but I wanted to be as thorough as possible
MeImNot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2012, 03:19 PM   #2
kkenny
Sub Adult

Hi, well all I can say is that I have Hermann THB x3 and they do not make any noise when breathing and smelling.

Glad you have joined us, I am sure someone more experienced will know if it is normal.

Spartacus, THB, March 2013
Henry, THB, July 2008
kkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2012, 05:00 PM   #3
Easter Bunny
Adult

All I can say is none of my 6 tortoises make noises when they breath.

Like Karin said someone with experience will be along soon to advise you xx
Old 13-05-2012, 05:27 PM   #4
MeImNot
Incubating

I may have forgot to mention the most important thing...I hear this noise when i pick up the tortoise and listen carefully.
Old 14-05-2012, 12:22 AM   #5
RedfootBryan
Egg

I have a redfoot tortoise who breathes loudly. I was worried at first, but it seems fine and no change in behaviour. Just saying...
RedfootBryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2012, 02:17 PM   #6
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

Mine don't really make any noise whilst breathing, it may be an idea to keep your tort warm day and night for a while to be on the safe side. When mine have had RNS I've always kept the temps up at night for a good few weeks after the anitbiotic course has finished ( I think in one case even longer - a month or more)

Keep your eyes peeled for any changes in her behaviour or any discharge, and try to keep stress/ changes to a minimum
Old 14-05-2012, 08:26 PM   #7
MeImNot
Incubating

She's being kept warm all day, its 35C in basking spot going down to around 23C, at night its around 23C as well.

My eyes have almost dropped from trying to see any changes I really dont want her to get sick again.

Also I've bought a nebulizer just in case (after reading a sticky in this forum) but I dont it's a good idea using it without seeing any actual symptoms.
Old 15-05-2012, 08:34 PM   #8
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

Well fingers crossed she is going to be fine, but as you probably know RNS can re-occur, so try not to stress ( that won't help you ) just try to be aware. You know the drill now so if it does come back you'll know what to do
Old 15-05-2012, 08:54 PM   #9
jo__
Incubating

I hope your little tort stays healthy

How fast does RI or RNS develop in torts and what are the first symptoms? I ask this as my female has been making noise while breathing lately (a bit like she is out of breath). It's not really loud but on the other hand I have not noticed her making this noise before. She does not have a runny nose and her eyes are nice and clear. I am a bit of a paranoid torty mummy sometimes so do not want to overreact!!

She is also living with a male (they are both 7) so I have been keeping a close eye on her to make sure she is not getting too harassed.

Worth a trip to the vets or just continue to keep a close eye on her?

Thanks,
Jo
jo__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2012, 05:04 PM   #10
MeImNot
Incubating

Thanks Bindi...thats exactly what i have in mind, keep stress levels (mine too) to a minimum

Jo, I hope that yours is all fine too. From my experience, the worse factor in RI is stress levels, so if you think that the male is harassing her, I would remove him (not her), at least until ur sure that she's fine.

The symptoms mine had were a distinct clicking noise while breathing, some breathing from the mouth, retracting her head for no apparent reason as if she was afraid of something (seeing her do this is bad, especially after doing it 6 times in a row), she only had a running noise first thing in the morning tho.

How long have you been noticing the noisy breathing?

Tags
doxycycline, respiratory infection