Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 13-08-2009, 08:31 PM   #1
Hazel
Juvenile

Default A bit concerned

I'm a bit concerned about my 2 year old Horsfield, Dandelion. I just don't think she's thriving. There's nothing massively obvious- her eyes are clear, no signs of a respiratory infection, poo normal, the occasional creamy urate.
She is barely eating at the moment, unlike Baxter who will eat quite a lot. She is a lot more inactive than him.
I have them outside but she just wants to go into the hut and dig down. I know it's not that hot at the moment, I've been bringing her in after work for a warm up which seems to get her eating a bit. Not a lot though, and I have to coax her sometimes by putting her nearer the food etc.
She is not putting on much weight, she stayed about the same this month. She is older than Baxter but he has outgrown her.

Last year she had worms and also a gut infection and was treated for both. The worms went and she really picked up after the antibiotics. The fact she didn't eat for a long time meant she ended up with a calcium deficiency which was sorted out with liquid calcium given orally every day. She had a blood test at this time which also told us that her liver and kidneys were fine, so nothing underlying there.

I'm not sure if I'm just being paranoid, maybe she's just naturally not as active or greedy as Baxter. Maybe I should have her screened for worms again.

Any thoughts?
Old 13-08-2009, 08:36 PM   #2
Helen M
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Helen M
Thumbs up

I'd have her checked for worms again. Our adult horsfield Martha has been a little under the weather too. The vet checked her over, x rays and scans. He didn't find a problem, he just gave her two stomach tube feedings and since then she has picked up somewhat and gaining the weight she lost.
Helen xx
Helen M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2009, 08:38 PM   #3
Kirkie
Adult

Just a thought Hazel but is it possible Baxter might be the problem? Sounds like dandelion might be shying away, possibly from Baxter?
Kirkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2009, 08:43 PM   #4
Hazel
Juvenile

They've never had problems together really, I'm thinking Baxter is a girl actually as things are so harmonious! I left Baxter out tonight and brought Dandy in and she's behaving the same. But who knows what goes on when my back is turned eh? Maybe I'll leave her indoors on her own for a couple of days and see if the warmth and solitude make a difference!

I'll also drop off a sample tomorrow, thanks Helen. I think it's worth checking, definitely.
Old 13-08-2009, 09:51 PM   #5
Star
Sub Adult

Hi Hazel,
I think you should go with your intuition and have her checked out, just to put your mind at ease. Its a horrible feeling when your not sure if they are under the weather.

Good luck and I hope she picks up soon
0.5.0. Playful T.H.H / T.H.B
11 Tropical Fish
1 Bearded Lizard
Lots of Aspirin
Before enlightenment - chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment - chop wood, carry water. ~Zen Buddhist Proverb
Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2009, 08:34 PM   #6
Hazel
Juvenile

Haven't been on here in ages...broadband availability has been sporadic at best...hopefully will be fixed soon...anyway...

Thought I'd post an update on this simply because I am AMAZED at the transformation! Since this post, Dandelion has gradually morphed into the greediest tort alive! She is just as greedy as Baxter and eating just as much as him now, and is so, so much more active
She is putting on weight steadily and I'm hoping this will continue!

I think she is more sensitive to her surroundings than Baxter. We had recently moved, so I re-did their indoor enclosures a bit differently and they had totally new outdoor ones built. Baxter isn't fazed by anything, but I think it upset Dandelion a bit.
Old 15-09-2009, 08:46 PM   #7
Star
Sub Adult

Glad to hear that everything's settled Thank you for the update
0.5.0. Playful T.H.H / T.H.B
11 Tropical Fish
1 Bearded Lizard
Lots of Aspirin
Before enlightenment - chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment - chop wood, carry water. ~Zen Buddhist Proverb
Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2009, 08:51 PM   #8
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

That's brill news, Hazel It just shows how differentt they all are
Old 17-09-2009, 11:49 PM   #9
Lolly8
Adult

Great news!