Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Caresheets/Links/Books

Old 19-01-2011, 11:14 AM   #11
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

Hey, we can compare notes Burno lol

Kirkie recommended it so to me ages and ages ago so I have high expectations
Old 19-01-2011, 11:37 AM   #12
burnt toast
Adult

Yes Ive been wanting it for a while. I have the Chelonian library Hermans book, thats good too. I had some money at xmas & thought oh why not but by time I got round to ordering it a megaray had blown & im £90 down on vets bills - ongoing oh well!
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2011, 11:53 AM   #13
burnt toast
Adult

It would be interesting to know if there are any books specifically on Marginated's. I have quite a few books now & they get the odd mention but not a lot of info - maybe time for a new post.
Old 22-01-2011, 02:36 PM   #14
Coolsox
Hatched

My copy of this book arrived today and I have not been able to put it down.

The book is very well organised, easy to read and understand and the pictures, they will just blow you away. My outdoor tortoise enclosure is getting a serious makeover in spring!

So far i've only read the Hbernation chapter in full and it's very interesting to know what the tortoises body is doing this time. I've actually decided to wake my tortoises up today based on information i've gained from the book (my temps have been quite mild).

Only thing I don't like about the book is that it contains a few too many graphic photos of dead tortoises. I'm not usually squeamish but the photo of the roadkill tort really made me feel sad. Otherwise this book is a fantastic read and is worth it's weight in gold for any serious Hermanns keeper.

Proud owner of 3 Hermanns, Kaia, Naja & Dax
Coolsox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2011, 06:32 PM   #15
burnt toast
Adult

OOh Bindi mine has arrived, sitting on the mat when I got home, along with the avon book - cant wait, shame ive got to cook the T lol!!
Old 24-01-2011, 07:19 PM   #16
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

I'm jealous, I ordered mine form Amazon USA so I've got to wait ages boo!

I was too tight to pay for a quicker delivery so should get mine roundabout Christmas time
Old 24-01-2011, 08:33 PM   #17
Geomyda
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolsox View Post
My copy of this book arrived today and I have not been able to put it down.

The book is very well organised, easy to read and understand and the pictures, they will just blow you away. My outdoor tortoise enclosure is getting a serious makeover in spring!

So far i've only read the Hbernation chapter in full and it's very interesting to know what the tortoises body is doing this time. I've actually decided to wake my tortoises up today based on information i've gained from the book (my temps have been quite mild).

Only thing I don't like about the book is that it contains a few too many graphic photos of dead tortoises. I'm not usually squeamish but the photo of the roadkill tort really made me feel sad. Otherwise this book is a fantastic read and is worth it's weight in gold for any serious Hermanns keeper.
Certainly agree! This book along with Holger Vetter's book Hermann's Tortoise should be on the bookshelf of every Tortoise keeper currently working with these species.
Geomyda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 10:23 AM   #18
burnt toast
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi View Post
I'm jealous, I ordered mine form Amazon USA so I've got to wait ages boo!

I was too tight to pay for a quicker delivery so should get mine roundabout Christmas time
Dont despair Bindi I did exactly the same, Amazon USA, cheapest postage & was quoted delivery by 23rd Feb but it arrived yesterday, (think I ordered it on the 10th) so fingers crossed yours will be there soon too.
Old 25-01-2011, 11:09 AM   #19
pixie-egg
Sub Adult

I'm sooo getting this book too. I have an ibera so thinking the same lines as Bindi. I have Ed's book but it's time to expand my tort library. Shame there is no kindle version of it x
Old 25-01-2011, 12:10 PM   #20
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burno View Post
Dont despair Bindi I did exactly the same, Amazon USA, cheapest postage & was quoted delivery by 23rd Feb but it arrived yesterday, (think I ordered it on the 10th) so fingers crossed yours will be there soon too.

Wow, that's encouraging then..never ordered from Amazon USA before

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixie-egg View Post
I'm sooo getting this book too. I have an ibera so thinking the same lines as Bindi. I have Ed's book but it's time to expand my tort library. Shame there is no kindle version of it x
I really really can't wait to get it, I've been meaning to get it for over a year, just finally got around to it