Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Breeding and Incubation

Old 12-01-2013, 12:49 PM   #1
Herpard
Adult

Default Selling Hatchlings

Hi all,

i would like to hatch again in the future but that also means i will need to sell any future babies.

How do you ensure the hatchlings will be going to a good home? do you do house visits? and how did you cope when you sold your firrst baby, i would be a wreck lol
Herpard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 07:21 PM   #2
Easter Bunny
Adult

I will be selling some of my babies..but I will only sell to experienced keepers or people I know and only advertise on here. I won't advertise on preloved or gumtree

Also I will say to the buyers, if they ever want to sell the tortoise on in the future, I will buy it back.. and I will only sell to people who keep them in tables.

So I might be having to keep them all, lol
Old 13-01-2013, 05:23 AM   #3
mildredsmam
Hatched

i think this is one of these times you have to use your head not your heart or you would never let any of them go to new homes.
i ask questions like do they already keep torts and how do they keep them etc, if there new to keeping torts then as long as they are willing to learn then thats fine.
you could always ask to see pictures of their setup, and offer advice.
i always offer to take back any of my mine if the new owners circumstances change
mildredsmam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2013, 10:22 AM   #4
Herpard
Adult

thank you.

If it was up to me i would keep them all lol.
Old 13-01-2013, 02:40 PM   #5
wigwamman
Juvenile

i have recently sold my very first hatchlings from 2012 season,and must admit it was a very mixed bag of emotions,i will try to explain.
1 advertising hatchlings for sale on the run up to xmas seemed to be a waste of time,very little interest but plenty buffoons.
2 transaction specific a10s so they need to be sold before reaching 60mm,so you need to sell in a limited time frame otherwise you have lost the £25 charged by defra,at 60mm you then need to micro chip each tortoise £20-£25 and have the relevant a10s (specimen specific)£25 per batch.
it is possible to wait until june for the special offers on chipping (£15 ish),this will mean you are trying to sell last years babies while this years are emerging,where do you keep them all?
3 you need to feel ok about prospective buyers but where to draw the line is not always clear,advice is given freely but they may not act on it,its not possible to visit every buyers home.
4 is it worth the headache ?
5 YES!!
wigwamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 03:48 AM   #6
mildredsmam
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herpard View Post
thank you.

If it was up to me i would keep them all lol.
im the same lol
mildredsmam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 07:43 AM   #7
Pussygalore
Adult

I always used to email anyone who enquired a care sheet, written by myself which I thought covered most things, if after reading this they were still interested then they'd usually come to me. I know many don't like that idea but I liked to show them a set up and meet them and go over anything else they wished to know. Many never got back to me after the caresheet so I suppose they had second thoughts which perhaps sorted the good from the bad, those that were sold seem to have gone to nice homes and many do get back to me even after a couple of years. I still have the caresheet if anyone wants a read to get ideas or use it, just pm me, sending it saved a long phone call and it went to everyone who phoned or emailed.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 08:45 AM   #8
Herpard
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pussygalore View Post
I always used to email anyone who enquired a care sheet, written by myself which I thought covered most things, if after reading this they were still interested then they'd usually come to me. I know many don't like that idea but I liked to show them a set up and meet them and go over anything else they wished to know. Many never got back to me after the caresheet so I suppose they had second thoughts which perhaps sorted the good from the bad, those that were sold seem to have gone to nice homes and many do get back to me even after a couple of years. I still have the caresheet if anyone wants a read to get ideas or use it, just pm me, sending it saved a long phone call and it went to everyone who phoned or emailed.
Thanks about to send you a pm
Old 21-01-2013, 09:15 PM   #9
chris7star
Egg

im one of those that advertise on pre loved purely because i dont have many post on here or other forums, what i will say is the amount of time wasters i have is unreal, i try to price my redfoots fairly and always ask questions on there setups and if they know the requirements of redfoots, surprisingly all i have sold have been to older people who seem to be genuine, selling is always a sore subject, i kept my first 15 hatchlings for nearly a yr then decided it was time so sell as had too many, i never sell any tort less than 3 months old so i can monitor there health, always offer backup advice if needed and care sheets
chris7star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 07:43 AM   #10
Pussygalore
Adult

I don't consider anyone who asks a 'time waster' however by sending them a good caresheet before going any further it gives them the chance to see what is involved. Many people would like a tort but because of the lack of good information available don't understand what they need, that's not their fault, if a good caresheet tells them as much as possible it might help stop another tort ending up in the wrong sort of home. If your so called 'time wasters' didn't come to you then they'd just be another person who buys from a shop and ends up with the wrong equipement or an animal that doesn't get cared for properly, so don't discourage the 'time wasters' we all have to start somewhere. When I sold my hatchlings I probably had as many ask who changed their minds after finding out what's involved as those who actually brought, is that a bad or good thing? good I beleive.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote