Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 08-02-2012, 12:41 PM   #11
Cav3
Incubating

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClareandCo View Post
Following on from one or our local group meetings, where it was discussed in great length it was recommended that you do not even have different species co-habitating, so as for attempting to breed them it is a definite no.

Why would you want a "mixed breed" for want of a better word?
I quite agree, IMO all species should be kept separately.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:00 PM   #12
EJ
Adult

It's ironic how I'm consistantly accused of turning a simple question into a debate. This post kind of demonstrates who actually initiates the debate.

The OP was not asking if the mixing of species was right or wrong. I'm sure there are people who believe the mixing of species is wrong but that has nothing to do with the question.

If this person or any person wants to mix species in their collection it is their business and nobody esles. As far as the intent of this post... I don't think it matters if anyone thinks the mixing of species is wrong.

I've said this time and again... a species is a human concept that has no distinct definition.
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 01:08 PM   #13
ClareandCo
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ View Post
It's ironic how I'm consistantly accused of turning a simple question into a debate. This post kind of demonstrates who actually initiates the debate.

The OP was not asking if the mixing of species was right or wrong. I'm sure there are people who believe the mixing of species is wrong but that has nothing to do with the question.

If this person or any person wants to mix species in their collection it is their business and nobody esles. As far as the intent of this post... I don't think it matters if anyone thinks the mixing of species is wrong.

I've said this time and again... a species is a human concept that has no distinct definition.
I haven't accused anyone of turning a simple question into a debate.

I merely answered by giving my thoughts backed up by what had been discussed at our local tortoise meeting. I could have given more info about the discussion, but didn't.

By doing this, I thought it would show that I wasn't just picking a random response out of mid air!
ClareandCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 01:19 PM   #14
EJ
Adult

I went through the post and I can't seem to find where I stated it was you who accused me...

It was kind of a random response because it had nothing to do with the OPs question.

If you'd like to debate the topic of mixing species... you know I'm game but there is a special section for such 'discussions'... Evolving Husbandry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClareandCo View Post
I haven't accused anyone of turning a simple question into a debate.

I merely answered by giving my thoughts backed up by what had been discussed at our local tortoise meeting. I could have given more info about the discussion, but didn't.

By doing this, I thought it would show that I wasn't just picking a random response out of mid air!
and
Old 08-02-2012, 03:41 PM   #15
Xero
Hatchling

Send a message via MSN to Xero

Or,, you could just call it a Sperm

Peaches > Turbo > Speedy > Dexcie

1.2.0 T.h.Horsfieldii..R.I.P Speedy :(
Xero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:31 PM   #16
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

How would you prevent torts mixing in the wild?

It was on the news recently that one type of shark bred with another type. think it was a shark anyway, I would have a search for it
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:34 PM   #17
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

here ya go..

Scientists said on Tuesday that they had discovered the world's first hybrid sharks in Australian waters, a potential sign the predators were adapting to cope with climate change.

The mating of the local Australian black-tip shark with its global counterpart, the common black-tip, was an unprecedented discovery with implications for the entire shark world, said lead researcher Jess Morgan.

"It's very surprising because no one's ever seen shark hybrids before, this is not a common occurrence by any stretch of the imagination," Morgan, from the University of Queensland, told AFP.

"This is evolution in action."
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:45 PM   #18
burger
Egg

I couldn't agree more EJ !
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ View Post

radiated 0.0.3
burger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:00 PM   #19
EJ
Adult

That's really interesting. You have to wonder how any similar creature in the sea does not cross breed.

I live in an area where 3 subspecies of Ratsnake cross breed... The Grey Ratsnake x Black Ratsnake x Yellow Ratsnake.

I know it's not a tortoise but it is a reptile. Also... many aquatic turtle subspecies crossbreed where the ranges overlap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caledonia View Post
here ya go..

Scientists said on Tuesday that they had discovered the world's first hybrid sharks in Australian waters, a potential sign the predators were adapting to cope with climate change.

The mating of the local Australian black-tip shark with its global counterpart, the common black-tip, was an unprecedented discovery with implications for the entire shark world, said lead researcher Jess Morgan.

"It's very surprising because no one's ever seen shark hybrids before, this is not a common occurrence by any stretch of the imagination," Morgan, from the University of Queensland, told AFP.

"This is evolution in action."
and
Old 08-02-2012, 10:51 PM   #20
ibizathetort
Adult

If the animals suggested did breed successfully, wouldn't that be a big indicator of how they can co-habit

I've seen lots of keepers successfully house different species together but they are too afraid to make it known
Hatchling Horsfield - Bora
Hatchling Horsfield - Bossa
Hatchling Horsfield - Jet

ibizathetort is offline   Reply With Quote