Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 15-05-2011, 12:47 PM   #1
danboy
Egg

Default strange herm

ive not been on here for years due to live keeping me very busy...

well i have 2 torts one marg and the strange herm both 6 years old..

the marg norm goes down for winter about nov and i dont see it till march time.

but the herm goes down nov time and only stays tucked up for a few weeks,,this year he was walking round the garden in the snow(nutter),,,,

i went on me hols for 2 weeks(came back 3 weeks ago) and my aunt poped in every day to see to them,,,so i gets back and the herm was nowhere to be found my aunt didnt ring as she didnt want to spoil my hols..

so 5 weeks missing and lots of hours trying to work out how it got out..

then i find a fresh bit of soil under my grape vine i have a dig around and there it is about a foot under ground (phew).so i gets him out and put it back in hes house to warm up,,goes back out next morning and yep its back down there..

so do i just leave it till its ready to come back out or wot.

thanx danny
danboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2011, 04:22 PM   #2
Neddy
Sub Adult

Blimey Danny whats he like!! I really don't know what to say but thought I would bump your post

I keep a leo so not the foggiest when it comes to hibernation
Neddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2011, 04:46 PM   #3
janeL
Sub Adult

I would check his weight. I had one that did the digging down thing all the time, She wasn't eating and her muscles started to waste, It wnet on for a couple of seasons so I didn't hibernate her. i took to the vet the first season, she had bloods and poo samples all clear. I could just about get her to eat if I got her up and put her under a lamp inside and warmed her up. She had to be in a box so that she couldn't leave the lamp, then she would eat a little bit, but as soon as she had the opportnity she would dig back down.

Eventually her weight got low enough for the vet to diagnose anorexia. She was fitted with a tube and I tube fed her back up to weight. Whilst I was tube feeding her she started to take and interest in life again and even food. That was about two years ago and she is as right as rain now eith the same behaviour as the other Hermanns and the same zest for life before it all happened.
I have no idea to this day what triggered this or why she came good with tube feeding but it worked! She is now a normal weight for her size and she trundles around like a good n!!!

Hermanns THB 2:3:0
Algerian TGG 1.2.3
Ibera TGI 0.1.0[/CENTER]
janeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2011, 12:46 PM   #4
danboy
Egg

got it on the scales today,,,,320g and 12cm in length,,,,,think ill make a table up and bring it if for a while...see how it goes.

danny
danboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2011, 08:41 PM   #5
janeL
Sub Adult

Yeah, I would watch him carefully, he is a little under weight according to the Jackson ratio. Has he lost weight do you think?
I reckon if I had brought mine in sooner and heated and fed on a daily basis, I perhaps could have bought her up without needing the feeding tube, but she had gone too far. I found warming her and then giving her a warm bath (don't let it go cold) helped to persuade her to eat.
Please keep us updated I hate it when I don't know what happens to these little ones. I guess even more so with this one as it sounds so similar to the problem I had. I still don't know why she did it either.

Hermanns THB 2:3:0
Algerian TGG 1.2.3
Ibera TGI 0.1.0[/CENTER]
janeL is offline   Reply With Quote