Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 04-06-2009, 04:19 PM   #1
Steev1989
Egg

Default Flipped Over

Hi lately my Leopard Tort has got into the habit of flipping himself over somehow and he cant seem to flip himself back over. I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions or tips on how to help? Since i work most of the day I dont want want him to get cooked under his heat lamp or anything. Thats where he tends to flip over by
Old 04-06-2009, 04:34 PM   #2
terrypin
Adult

i turn the heat lamps off on my hatchlings table when im not home .my juveniles and adults are outdoors all day regardless.
terry
Old 04-06-2009, 06:48 PM   #3
Steev1989
Egg

I would keep mine outside but as of late it has been too cool to leave him out. :/
Old 04-06-2009, 07:19 PM   #4
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

You need some stones lying around so that he can get a hold of one to get himself up. I actually have to have a ring of stones right round the enclosure, a tort's width away from the side and spaced out just enough to get through between them but able to reach if necessary. Cobble type stones slightly smaller than a tennis ball I use.

One of mine doesn't need them but the other one does because it is always on it's hind legs trying to reach for the sky and falls backwards regularly
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 08:12 PM   #5
Evie
Sub Adult

My biggest female has been known to flip my male over a few times - luckily I have either been here or not to far behind them - he has never been able to right himself - I dont know whether that is just Leopards as I have known other species that can.
Evie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 08:13 PM   #6
Steev1989
Egg

I have stones set up in his table but i guess he manages to roll away too far from them and since he is a leopard his shell is tall so i dont think he can reach many of the stones i have in there anyway :/. Should i try just more stones? I dont want to put to much in and make him flip over even more
Old 04-06-2009, 08:16 PM   #7
Steev1989
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evie View Post
My biggest female has been known to flip my male over a few times - luckily I have either been here or not to far behind them - he has never been able to right himself - I dont know whether that is just Leopards as I have known other species that can.
Ya mine can never right himself either and unfortunately i work during the day and i cant check on him :/ im thinking about setting up a webcam like i had seen somewhere in one of the threads here that way i could watch him at work haha. Then if he did flip over i could try to call someone to flip him
Old 04-06-2009, 08:41 PM   #8
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

My stones are all a tort's shell width away from the walls as that's where it happens
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 09:13 PM   #9
Steev1989
Egg

Ok i will see about putting some more stones around that he could hopefully right himself on.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:01 PM   #10
Evie
Sub Adult

Web cam seems like a good idea - or is there anyone that can just pop in a couple of times a day just to check. I have never known any of mine flip over of their own accord - only with help from Honey - I leave them very rarely but when I do I have to keep her seperate from the others just in case.

It is a worry - I really freaked out the first time I looked out in the garden and Evie was on his back - I was on nights but had decided to sleep on the sette during the day - just to keep an ear out - luckily I did !!!
Evie is offline   Reply With Quote