Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 06-05-2009, 02:13 AM   #1
Steev1989
Egg

Default Water From Leopards Nose

Hi i purchased a Leopard Tortoise from a pet store a few days ago and recently noticed that every once in a while (usually after soaking him but sometimes later) he will like push water out his nose and sometimes looks bubbley. I have read that this can either be RNS or just that it is too humid. I keep his tank dry so I dont think it is that. But it doesnt seem much like a runny nose. Again he usually does this after a soaking but sometimes he will do it sometime later. Any help is appreciated. Thank you
Steev1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 06:22 PM   #2
terrypin
Adult

hi if you suspect he has a runny nose then perhaps it would be safer to consult a vet before it develops into a more serious problem.can i ask what conditions he is kept under like temperature and humidity.does he appear active when outdoors and does he graze.sorry its difficult to think of any questions without going over the top.what size is he, length and weight .i keep leopards myself and they can be a little sensitive to conditions particularly while still young/small.
terry
Old 07-05-2009, 07:11 AM   #3
Steev1989
Egg

ya i want to the only problem is im broke at the moment so i cant take him to a vet yet . during the day the tank i keep him in in the basking area is about 90-100 usually. In cool area its usually around 80. hmidity stays about 40%. hes only about a year old so not very big i dont know his exact weight , from head to tail he is about 3- 3 1/2 inches. he has taken a couple bites at our grass but not much he ate some cucumber today (finally he wasnt eating until today) he doesnt seem to eat in his tank though im thinking it might be cuz he doesnt like the tank its only 10 gal unfortunatly but i will be buying a 40 gal (specific for lizards/torts/ etc its wide instead of tall) so hopefully he will be happier with that. I have heard they can be sensitive. He also seems to have a small eye infection but i bought eye drops for him yesterday and began giving them to him so hopefully it helps. He had some pyramiding when i bought him which is partially why i chose him i was hoping i could help reverse it and give him a better diet n such. Thank you very much for answering me
Steev
Old 07-05-2009, 12:24 PM   #4
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

I would be inclined to take him back to the shop and demand they pay for any treatment required
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 05:29 PM   #5
Steev1989
Egg

Ya I should but i dont know if there is much they will do its a locally owened business. And it will unfortunately have to wait till my day off since the store is closed by the time i am off.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:08 PM   #6
Steev1989
Egg

Talking

Just an update on my leopard. He is moving around alot now and his eyes are opening easier. He has also started eating and seems to be enjoying himself . I also have not seen any more water or bubbles come from him so that is great! He seems to enjoy cucumber alot haha, im trying to get him to eat the pellets the store gave me that you dampen then mash up and its supposed have the grasses and stuff that they need, but he doesnt seem to want it i have tried mixing in lettuce cucumber and some cactus leaf for him to eat it but he barely touches it . Any suggestions? Oh, i do add the powder vitamens to his food but he doesnt like it much.
Thank you everyone
Old 09-05-2009, 08:52 AM   #7
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

They can takes weeks to settle in properly and eat normally. Give the vitamins in small amounts so it doesn't notice it
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 12:49 PM   #8
Lou
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to Lou

i would get him to the vets when you have some money sorted out. I know its not ideal to have to do that when you've only just got him, but if he does have an underlying problem, then that would be the best thing to get it checked.

I have no experience with leo's personally, but other people I do know with them keep theirs in a table? terry can possibly advise you more on this though x

best of luck with him xx

Horsfield: 1.0.2 Walter / Izzy / Tilly
Redfoot : 1.3.0 Ruby / Scarlet / Merlot / Ginger
Goldfish : 0:0:1 Splodge
Bearded Dragon : 0:1:0 Zuki
Springer Spaniel : 1:0:0 Bailey
Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 03:27 PM   #9
Helen M
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Helen M

Could i possibly suggest you look into building him a tortoise table instead of buying a bigger tank? Tanks aren't good for tortoises and it would be far cheaper to make him a tortoise table. It should also give him a lot more ventilation and reduce the chances of him developing another respiratory problem (once this one has been sorted out). There's loads of pics of peoples setups on the housing section. You could even grow him some grass in trays to encourage him to graze?
Helen xx
Helen M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 04:24 PM   #10
Steev1989
Egg

Ok thank you for the advice I will look into it and see what i can do in my small room to make him a table . And i plan to take him to the vet when i get paid, one of the only reptile vets around is in the town over but its only a 30 min drive from my house. Thank you all for the advice