Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 02-01-2016, 12:25 AM   #1
Esio Trot
Egg

Default Holiday in UK

I hope to go on holiday within the uk ( ie not go abroad ) and would like to take my Testeo gracea with me. He/she is only a baby (1 yr). What accomodation do people suggest I should house him in when I get to my rented home ? I dont want to take him in a huge cage as I wont have room. I have heard of tortoise holiday boxes that fold up as a carrier too.......please help I cant find anything suitable to buy.....Do you know of something ?
Esio Trot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 04:59 PM   #2
CherryBrandy
Adult

I suppose you may find a cardboard box adequate size and with the right heat and UV requirements would be ok, as tortoise is likely v small though I would balance that with the disruption to his environment. ie travel without heat etc, he stops eating with stress. I think a smaller guinea pig cage could be ok from ebay or similar as more hygienic and lighter, firmer etc. Have a nice time ! and welcome to the site !
Old 02-01-2016, 05:08 PM   #3
Esio Trot
Egg

Thank you for your advice. He is such a happy littleTortoise I never thoughts of stress ! Thank you for bringing this to my attention I will seriously consider not taking him BUT have to weigh up possibly letting someone else have him for a week who may not be as caring as me.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:13 PM   #4
vikki
Hatched

I had to take my two on holiday with me and I used a 3 foot inflatable swimming pool. The tortoises are young so not overly strong claws and I bought the type where 3 seperate rings inflate to make the height therefore giving I bit of back up in case they did puncture the bottom one, I also took 2 pools just in case and as I got them cheap £1.50 each at end of season it was o.k. You will need to remember a heat lamp and substrate (I would recommend a coir brick as takes very little space) Mine travelled in a smallish carry case with some soil. I personally didn't have a problem at all - they settled well and ate like little piggies throughout (consider where you may get normal diet/alternative) but I know some tortoises could be upset by the change so perhaps think carefully before deciding to take them - I wasn't intending taking mine but got let down at the last minute by the person (my lovely sister!!!) who was going to look after them. Also bear in mind the accommodation you are going to and if they may have a problem with you taking them.
vikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 10:20 AM   #5
Esio Trot
Egg

Oh wow vikki that is another good idea. Thank you. Much easier to pack the car too. Arnold ionly eats twice a week at the moment , although fresh food is ALWAYS offered. I will see what his routine delelops into.He is only one and I think he would stay asleep if I didnt wake him up !
Old 03-01-2016, 03:21 PM   #6
Esio Trot
Egg

Thank you for your advice Vikki. What a good idea.
Old 03-01-2016, 06:27 PM   #7
CherryBrandy
Adult

good thinking vikki, I forgot you did that - terrific idea and would also work temporary at home emergency I guess. CB

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikki View Post
I had to take my two on holiday with me and I used a 3 foot inflatable swimming pool. The tortoises are young so not overly strong claws and I bought the type where 3 seperate rings inflate to make the height therefore giving I bit of back up in case they did puncture the bottom one, I also took 2 pools just in case and as I got them cheap £1.50 each at end of season it was o.k. You will need to remember a heat lamp and substrate (I would recommend a coir brick as takes very little space) Mine travelled in a smallish carry case with some soil. I personally didn't have a problem at all - they settled well and ate like little piggies throughout (consider where you may get normal diet/alternative) but I know some tortoises could be upset by the change so perhaps think carefully before deciding to take them - I wasn't intending taking mine but got let down at the last minute by the person (my lovely sister!!!) who was going to look after them. Also bear in mind the accommodation you are going to and if they may have a problem with you taking them.
Old 18-01-2016, 08:03 PM   #8
vikki
Hatched

Here is a picture of my temporary holiday accommodation - as i said not ideal but worked well in the circumstances

Old 18-01-2016, 08:33 PM   #9
Splinter
Egg

You could use an "under the bed" lidded box, would double up as something you could use for packing too.
Splinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 08:57 PM   #10
vikki
Hatched

That would generally work and be a great idea but as the car was already full with 2 people, 2 cocker spaniels, a lovebird in quite large cage and 2 tortoises in travel box it left very little room and all packing had to either be squashed behind the seats or go in the top box which due its shape would have been difficult to fit in decent sized solid box!!!

Tags
box, carrier, holiday, summer, travel