Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 18-01-2024, 09:43 PM   #1
Kirkie
Adult

Default Grow tent housing

Im experimenting again.

Ive brought myself an indoor grow tent to house some young hermanns tortoises I’m overwintering.

They’re thick canvas tents on a frame, with a silver interior to reflect light and retain some heat. To be honest, their main use seems to be growing cannabis.

I brought a 150x75x75 cm one for £50. It has metal beams at the top to hang growlights, I’ve got an arcadia 80watt mvb and some cheap LED daylights in there. It seems to retain heat ok, it was warmer in there than my living room yesterday, nearly got in it myself. It has multiple vents so you can vent heat and humidity if you want. The reflective interior material means its very bright in there.

If it works out, I might get a really big one, 5x2 metres and use it to convert my garage to a walk in reptile room.

If you google grow tent for reptiles, theres lots of youtube videos of them being used for large monitor lizards. Also this facebook group has pictures with the general gist.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/611005919288553/

Early days yet, I’m at home all day these days so will be around if it catches on fire. The heat lamps aimed at some slabs I put in so shouldn't be a problem.

Might work for overwintering Med species where its hard to keep the temps up on a table, would also work for humid loving tropical species if you close the vents I think.

Last edited by Kirkie; 18-01-2024 at 09:45 PM.
Kirkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2024, 09:59 PM   #2
Kirkie
Adult

Should have said, the one I’ve got can be used vertically or horizontally. So its 150 long by 75 wide and 75 high the way I have it set up. 75x75x150 high would be better for geckos!
Kirkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 01:05 PM   #3
CherryBrandy
Adult

these look good - how did they go? I must admit I think some of mine would scratch through unless really tough, hope all well Kirkie,