Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 31-03-2023, 10:31 PM   #1
emma_mcraf
Adult

Default Construction Site Dust

There’s a construction site fairly close by and it is noticeable how much dust is settling on the cars and the windowsills.
I know dust can contain silica and therefore irritate allergies and the respiratory system, so as we prepare to head towards better weather, I’m not sure what to think about the torties being outside.
What are your opinions? Do you think it a risk to have them outside when clearly there’s a lot of construction dust in the air?
I’d appreciate anyone’s thoughts.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 05:59 AM   #2
burnt toast
Adult

I think (hope I didn't imagine this! Lol) that Yvonne had a road constructed very close to her home. I wonder if she could advise Emma?

How long is it likely to take till completion?
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 09:09 AM   #3
emma_mcraf
Adult

Thanks Lynn, maybe Yvonne will pop on and say how much dust she had to deal with.

This is a new housing development and the work is due to go on for years as they’re building a new school, roads and all the properties.
I guess it depends on the direction of the wind a lot of the time but there’s definitely a risk involved each time I Google it. I’m so hoping that there won’t be a heatwave this year as keeping windows shut is advised for anyone with allergies and as I have budgies as well as torts, I’m thinking of their little respiratory systems as well as my own allergies.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine

Old 02-04-2023, 04:08 PM   #4
Yvonne G
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt toast View Post
I think (hope I didn't imagine this! Lol) that Yvonne had a road constructed very close to her home. I wonder if she could advise Emma?

How long is it likely to take till completion?
My construction is not building houses, etc. but rather street improvements. So the dust accumulation here on my property is just dirt, floating dust and dirt from the street. It's been going on for over a year, and is still going on, and none of the critters has suffered any ill effects.
Old 02-04-2023, 06:20 PM   #5
emma_mcraf
Adult

Thanks Yvonne.
Hmmm, I guess no one has experience of this, but out of interest, would you feel comfortable having your torts out knowing there is silica dust in the air? Obviously it can’t be seen until it settles, and I want the torts out as normal, but I’d feel so bad if any of them got a respiratory infection. Going to have to think on this one.

Can anyone remind me the name of the fabric that lets in UV please? Not sure if that would help to filter the air somewhat. Thanks.

Old 03-04-2023, 08:59 AM   #6
ClareandCo
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma_mcraf View Post
Thanks Yvonne.
Hmmm, I guess no one has experience of this, but out of interest, would you feel comfortable having your torts out knowing there is silica dust in the air? Obviously it can’t be seen until it settles, and I want the torts out as normal, but I’d feel so bad if any of them got a respiratory infection. Going to have to think on this one.

Can anyone remind me the name of the fabric that lets in UV please? Not sure if that would help to filter the air somewhat. Thanks.
Is it Lumisol you are thinking of?
ClareandCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 05:32 PM   #7
emma_mcraf
Adult

Thanks Clare.

The problem is it’ll just make their outside enclosures too hot so I can’t fully use it. I’m literally trying to think of anything I can use to try and prevent silica dust and just construction dirt dust in general going in their enclosures. I’ve thought of the light weedproof fabric you can get but it’s too opaque and I think I’m going to have to either try and see and hope none of the torts show signs of respiratory problems or else have to keep them in. ☹️
If we have any kind of heatwave and everything gets even drier and more dustier, it’d just be worse as then you can see the dust in the air.
I don’t want to overthink it but I also know I’d blame myself terribly should anything happen.
I really want to have them outside for the summer but is it a risk worth taking? Hmmm…

Old 02-03-2024, 12:11 PM   #8
CherryBrandy
Adult

afternoon Emma - gosh nearly a year since the post...how did it all go ? how are you doing ? another spring yaaah ! weeds up and lawn soaking so all in areas away from their pens which means double the set ups ! hope all ok
Old 06-03-2024, 01:19 PM   #9
emma_mcraf
Adult

All good here thanks. Doesn't the time fly?! Currently awaiting surgery...18cm long squatter needs to be evicted!
Other than that, all has been fine and not as much construction dust as I thought last summer so hopefully the same will apply this summer too.