Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Turtles and Terrapins > TESCO SELLING TURTLES IN CHINA

Old 29-09-2008, 08:31 PM   #11
Geomyda
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geomyda View Post
Will have an update early next week!!
For those who have yet to sign the petition on the "Care for the Wild" web site, I urge you to give it consideration.
I had hoped to have a positive announcement on this subject this week, however, a meeting arranged by "the large retail Supermarket" was cancelled at the last minute.
This was despite the fact that we had Eminent Herpetologists from Europe attending,and had also arranged recent meetings with an Eminent Chinese Herpetologist.
This subject remains a live issue which really does warrant public support.
Whilst it may have been a forum topic of the past, it really should remain an issue of current debate. The scientific community is galvanising it's views, and with perhaps less emotion, there is a chance that it can achieve results.
Please keep it in mind!
Geomyda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 09:20 AM   #12
Geomyda
Adult

Quote:
Will have an update early next week!!
For those who have yet to sign the petition on the "Care for the Wild" web site, I urge you to give it consideration.
Our meeting was cancelled by the Supermarket last month. At the last moment! This was embarrasing as one of the European experts, who was due to attend the meeting, was actually in the air on his way to the UK!!
However, after much angst, they have granted us an audience on the 6th November, lets hope that this is not changed?
Please give thought to this issue once again, and wish all those involved in the "Care for the Wild" campaign good luck.
The paper presented to the Supermarket group, is very detailed, and carries the weight of a huge number of the Worlds leading authorities in Turtle Biology. Their conclusion on this trade is damning and unanimous. It's continuation is a short road to extinction for a group of animals that have graced this planet for more than 200 million years.
Old 03-11-2008, 05:06 PM   #13
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

Will you be at his meeting Paul?
Old 03-11-2008, 10:02 PM   #14
Kirkie
Adult

All power to you and Care for the Wild Geo. This can't be allowed to disappear off the rader. If you haven't signed the petition people get cracking!
Kirkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 10:34 PM   #15
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

Makes me wonder if the meeting was rescheduled to be on the same week as the American elections so that any news about it would be buried, or am I being stupid?
Old 03-11-2008, 11:02 PM   #16
Kirkie
Adult

Who knows pretty low on their adgenda by the looks of it. If it was something fluffy being sold alive there'd be an outrage.
Kirkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 11:24 PM   #17
Geomyda
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi View Post
Makes me wonder if the meeting was rescheduled to be on the same week as the American elections so that any news about it would be buried, or am I being stupid?
They did first suggest the 5th November, and asked if we were bringing Guido Fawkes.- Only joking!
The reason they gave for cancelling the last meeting is that their scientific advisor had missed the deadline for providing their evidence. However, with the melamine problem kicking off in Chinese dairy products, I wonder if other commodity issues were distracting them?
Old 29-12-2009, 08:16 PM   #18
Geomyda
Adult

Whilst a year later, to keep you posted, we have had a further couple of meetings and though not resolved, the matter is still very much an open debate. At the last meeting in early December 09, it seems that a further initiative is underway, and what is encouraging is the fact the China its self is currently enacting animal welfare legislation, and have got the RSPCA to input on what should be covered. A new negotiator at Care for the Wild, has been recruited and he has formally spent a good deal of Time in Hong Kong, and mainland China. Hopefully, the Turtle is being recognised in this legislation, and Tesco it appears are listening!
Old 30-12-2009, 09:05 AM   #19
justmeandmytortoise
Adult

Quote:
Whilst a year later, to keep you posted, we have had a further couple of meetings and though not resolved, the matter is still very much an open debate. At the last meeting in early December 09, it seems that a further initiative is underway, and what is encouraging is the fact the China its self is currently enacting animal welfare legislation, and have got the RSPCA to input on what should be covered. A new negotiator at Care for the Wild, has been recruited and he has formally spent a good deal of Time in Hong Kong, and mainland China. Hopefully, the Turtle is being recognised in this legislation, and Tesco it appears are listening!
Do you have any slides/pictures to put together a short presentation on this at one of our meetings? A very important subject and I am sure there are many who have not heard of 'Care For The Wild' and their work, and would welcome your presentation.
Old 31-12-2009, 10:10 AM   #20
Geomyda
Adult

Wendy,
I do have papers and some slides, and will be happy to give a presentation at some stage. That said, my diary is pretty full in the coming months with other commitments, so maybe later in the year? -- At this time, I hope further developments will also be apparent.