Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 20-10-2020, 07:41 PM   #1
TortoiseBea
Hatched

Send a message via Yahoo to TortoiseBea
Default Worn down patch on plastron - pics included

Hopefully the pictures work as I haven't posted in awhile.

Anyhow, my tortoise is 12 years old, lives outside in the summer, inside in a 4ft x 4ft tortoise table over the winter. Have had him since he was less than a year old. Had no issues thus far health wise.

I noticed this week on his plastron that its worn away on a tiny patch on both sides - was initially quite alarmed as it's translucent you can see what look like tiny blood vessels. Then I realised the fact it is symmetrical points to it being an abrasive injury rather than shell rot or the like. I then realised it fits with the shape of a rock he's been mounting recently.
You can see in the pics that on both sides of the plastron a very small patch has sort of worn away is the best way I can think it looks like. As I said, I think this correlates to the fact he's been mounting a rock in his enclosure for the last year or so, and the back and forth motion has probably caused this over time. I have now removed said rock, didn't realise it was causing harm. This is the only thing I can think that would cause this, being symmetrical and all.

So my questions are, does this theory seem reasonable? Is wearing away of plastron on rocks a thing?

Then secondly, aside from removing the rock so no further damage is caused, can I do anything about this? How will it heal?

Appreciate any thoughts on this.

Thanks!

https://imgur.com/a/G2fV98a
TortoiseBea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2020, 09:36 PM   #2
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by TortoiseBea View Post
Hopefully the pictures work as I haven't posted in awhile.

Anyhow, my tortoise is 12 years old, lives outside in the summer, inside in a 4ft x 4ft tortoise table over the winter. Have had him since he was less than a year old. Had no issues thus far health wise.

I noticed this week on his plastron that its worn away on a tiny patch on both sides - was initially quite alarmed as it's translucent you can see what look like tiny blood vessels. Then I realised the fact it is symmetrical points to it being an abrasive injury rather than shell rot or the like. I then realised it fits with the shape of a rock he's been mounting recently.
You can see in the pics that on both sides of the plastron a very small patch has sort of worn away is the best way I can think it looks like. As I said, I think this correlates to the fact he's been mounting a rock in his enclosure for the last year or so, and the back and forth motion has probably caused this over time. I have now removed said rock, didn't realise it was causing harm. This is the only thing I can think that would cause this, being symmetrical and all.

So my questions are, does this theory seem reasonable? Is wearing away of plastron on rocks a thing?

Then secondly, aside from removing the rock so no further damage is caused, can I do anything about this? How will it heal?

Appreciate any thoughts on this.

Thanks!

https://imgur.com/a/G2fV98a
Looks like you are correct he has been rubbing hard (:0) ) You need just to bathe the area in something like diluted triagene, betadine or F10. This is just to stop any bacteria setting in. And remove any rocks he can mount. :0)
The dilute should look like weak tea:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2020, 09:59 AM   #3
Gordon
Adult

As sandy says but give him a soft toy to play with or he might get stressed out which sounds odd but I have heard of a similar thing with a male and he stopped eating and really sulked.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2020, 11:11 AM   #4
TortoiseBea
Hatched

Send a message via Yahoo to TortoiseBea

Thanks both! He was always sexed as a female when he was younger it was only recently I clocked he was a male. I will get some F10 or similar and look into a safe rock alternative!
TortoiseBea is offline   Reply With Quote