Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 20-03-2020, 12:33 PM   #1
mattjstar1
Hatchling

Default Humid Hides

Hi guy's

I have 3 baby spur thighed ibera tortoises about 5 months old now I've seen many breeders and owners offering a humid hide as they say it can help with shell growth, just wondering your opinion on this could it cause any respiratory problems ? matt j
mattjstar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2020, 02:13 PM   #2
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjstar1 View Post
Hi guy's

I have 3 baby spur thighed ibera tortoises about 5 months old now I've seen many breeders and owners offering a humid hide as they say it can help with shell growth, just wondering your opinion on this could it cause any respiratory problems ? matt j
Well I have kept ibera for over 34yrs, and bred them. I never provided a humid hide in this time. I did always have a wide container of water in their enclosure, which might have helped. And housing well away for the heat source. To begin with I had a few hatchlings with slight over growth, but with more experience and time I ended up have hatchlings with shells smooth as a babies bottom.
Getting diet and husbandry correct together is the way. Over feeding always tends to be the main reason for pyramiding. But not the only one:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2020, 01:57 PM   #3
burnt toast
Adult

Mat I offfer a more natural version of one:
An exo terra reptile cave (quite enclosed, resin)
Place in warm end, near lamp (not directly under)
Over deeper substrate (I like a mixture of top soil & coir)
Keep this area more humid. The lamp warms, the humid substrate & the cave traps it, therefore creating a "humid hide".

My hatchlings emerge with dew on their shells, which stay lovely and smooth & no, none have developed any respiratory problems.

(i also water my natural and fake plants which trap humidity the same way... If only the neighbours saw, me!! )
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2020, 09:39 AM   #4
CherryBrandy
Adult

Matt J Star ! how are you ! hows Wales? Yes I do provide a humid area - over turned coconut shell of little cardboard house and just spray inside. seems to have worked out ok for them all. Don't need to spend lots at all. Spurs are probably ok but Horsfield are a little bit of a nightmare when it comes to anything like that - they will eat it or bust it and of course they prefer drier climes - though I do spray them ! CB