Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 02-11-2007, 07:02 PM   #51
piglet
Adult

Elizabeth my own adult reds also prefer the cooler area of there enclosure when retired for the evening as said the temps can be as low as 68 for at least 7 hours throughout the night, they generally move towards the lights early morning and bask again possibly a learnt behaviour to thermoregulate them selves .

I too used repticol once but ahve better results I think with nutrabol each to there own as lomg as the correct vit/mins are administered daily
D

17 years old 25 years ago
piglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 07:13 PM   #52
pawsplus
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by piglet
Elizabeth my own adult reds also prefer the cooler area of there enclosure when retired for the evening as said the temps can be as low as 68 for at least 7 hours throughout the night, they generally move towards the lights early morning and bask again possibly a learnt behaviour to thermoregulate them selves .
Well, part of the discussion here is that most of Beasley's table is in the lower 60s (62-64F or so), not 68F. And then there is the one warmer area (which she ignores) which is more like 74F at night. I really haven't worried about nighttime temps since she was a juvenile (and she's done great), and honestly have always thought it was important for the temps to drop. As I said before, I know keepers in FL who don't bring their adult RFs in unless it's below 50F and they have many adults they've had for 10-20 years!
pawsplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 03:47 PM   #53
pawsplus
Hatched

UPDATED PIX w/ plantings!

And a movie of the Beasmeister exploring:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hf4dKepBd0g

The grassy stuff is lemon grass.

Still working on temps, etc. New fixture for UVB compact fluor. on its way but I've decided to keep the black night light and use a ceramic heater like this, rather than one intended for reptiles (this isn't the exact one I got, but it's similar):

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...ductId=1275033

I'm rigging it to hang from the window frame at a slight angle down into the pen. B/c it has a blower, it will disseminate the heat better than a reptile heater, I think. My plan is to put it and the UVB light on timers so they are on about 5 hours a day during the part of the day that in nature would be warmest (10-3 or so).
Old 05-11-2007, 04:25 PM   #54
Toni115
Adult

love the video Elizabeth
Old 05-11-2007, 06:13 PM   #55
linda
Adult

elizabeth your table is excellent
linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 06:23 PM   #56
pawsplus
Hatched

I'm just happy that Beas seems to think it's excellent! She was MUCH more active this past weekend, and I also realized that I usually see her (during the week) just a.m. and p.m. when she is less likely to BE active. I went out of my way to check on her many times during the day Sat. and Sun. and she was quite active from about 9 a.m. until 2 or so. So I think that w/ just a little more temp tweaking we'll have it right.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:25 AM   #57
tort71
Egg

Table is looking really good. I like the lemon grass .

I'd suggest against the ceramic fan because it would cost a fortune to operate something of that wattage but that's just me. If you do go ahead with it make sure the heat isn't directly blowing on your tortoise. It'll cause eye irritations and can dehydrate. Kind of like taking a hair drier and blowing it in your face.

If you are still open for heating suggestions I recommend and use Pro Products Radiant Heat Panels:
http://www.pro-products.com/proheat.html

I'll admit they are kind of expensive ($160 for the one I got), but nothing comes close to this product and the great thing is its efficient and uses only 135W. Not only that but the guy who runs it (Bob) has great customer service and a great reputation. It's the only thing I've used that supplies radiant heat from above like the sun and supplies it evenly.

Ceramic heat emitters are second best and most likely 2 T-Rex Heat-Safe emitters could heat your table top effectively and efficiently.

Either way you are on the right track. Good work.
tort71 is offline   Reply With Quote