Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 24-02-2014, 10:56 PM   #1
Cali
Egg

Default Advice on outdoor housing

I am looking for some advice regarding housing couple of tortoises. My grandma recently passed away leaving two tortoises that have lived in her walled garden all year round for around 50 years. I believe they are two different species but am not sure which. I was a little hesitant to take them on as I wasn't sure I could provide the best housing for them but no other family member is keen to take them and I would be sorry to see them go to a sanctuary or something if it could be avoided. I have a large walk in chicken run which is about 12 x 18 ft which they could live in (with the chickens) but I am worried that there is no vegetation in it, the substrate is bark chip and they could get bullied by the chickens. Do you think this would be appropriate or could you suggest a better option? I would love to have them loose in the garden but I don't think the hedge and fence would be escape proof. We sadly don't have a large amount of money to spend on creating the perfect enclosure but obviously want them to be as healthy and happy as possible.
Cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2014, 11:10 PM   #2
Cali
Egg

In fact the more research I do, the more convinced I am that the chicken run is a bad idea. It has mesh walls and gets little sun. It is also occasionally visited by rats which can't be good news for tortoises.

What about an outdoor run, would that be ok for them all the time? They normally bury themselves in the winter which would be hard in the run so I assume I would need to put them in the shed or something?
Old 24-02-2014, 11:12 PM   #3
becciwales
Adult

Hi, welcome to Shelled Warriors, you've come to the right place for advice.

I'm not sure about the torts living with chickens, I don't know enough about that, but I'd think it probably isn't ideal. The bark isn't the right substrate for tortoise though. Could you make them an outdoor enclosure using some decking or something, I know wilkinsons sell raised flower beds at a reasonable price, they were down to £15 a few weeks back.
Possibly something like this only a bit higher sided and a bit bigger if they are big torts:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosmere-N426...vegetable+beds

Do you know what to feed them?
Have they been used to having any heating outdoors at all or a green house or cold frame to stay in?
I only have very small torts so they haven't been outside yet. I'm sure someone with more knowledge will be along to help you soon.

1:2:0 Testudo Hermanni Boettgeri -
Darwin, Galileo, and Einstein.

Archimedes (THB) RIP June, 2018
becciwales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 07:21 AM   #4
Suze65
Adult

Agree with Becci, I really wouldn't house them with the chickens, it may well stress them and it wouldn't be hygenic . As Becci has said, you can make reasonably cheap pens out of decking, screwd together at the corners, and straight onto top soil, which you can plant up with woody shrubs like lavender, rosemary, and weeds etc. have a look on the out door housing section, there's lots of photos of people's enclosures with lots of ideas. Well done for taking them on.
We would love to see pics of them, and we might be able to identify them for you.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 07:24 AM   #5
Suze65
Adult

Tortoises need to be out side in natural sunlight as much as possible, you need to provide a cold frame or greenhouse or shed for bad weather, and some where for them to hibernate. For information on diet and supplements have a look here, http://m.thetortoisetable.org.uk/m/tortoise_home_1.asp.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 07:40 AM   #6
Cali
Egg

Thank you for all the advice! I have come to the same conclusion about the chicken run. I think I could make them their own run. They've had free range of my grandmas garden but no access to heat or cold frame and as I say they've lived like this happily for decades. I understand that if I was taking on baby tortoises I would need to provide all this stuff but do they really need it now? I will make sure they have some sort of shelter.

I don't think grandma really fed them, just let them eat what they fancied from the garden, except for grandchildren and great grandchildren bringing extra dandelion flowers and bits of fruit to treat them!

Also, what about winter? Do I just pop them in a box in the shed and how do I know when they're ready?
Old 25-02-2014, 07:46 AM   #7
Pussygalore
Adult

are they still hibernating? old torts don't like changes so any need to be done gradually, their old garden must have had all they needed so putting them into a 'run' will mean you will have to provide what they would be missing. As has been said this would mean some sort of housing instead of the bushes/shelter that they could naturally find, if they are still dug down then I'd leave them there as long as possible unless they have to be moved straight away, simply finding them could be hard. If they do have to be moved and would normally be hibernating for another month or more then they may need to come into the house in a table with heat and light untill the weather gets good enough to put them outside again. I don't know if you could dig them up, move them, and expect them to dig down again, for a start they'd be to sleepy to do so and as its still not warm enough for them to be active I think they could die. If they can stay where they are buried then that would be the best bet and wait untill they emerge they should be fine but it could be a few weeks yet untill you see them.. One more thing if you have a rough patch of garden, not just lawn then make your run there and simply add plants etc if needed, old established weeds and soil is far better drained etc than a newly dug area and I'll take a guess and say thats what they are used to unless your relative used to dig their garden.

Last edited by Pussygalore; 25-02-2014 at 07:49 AM.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 08:05 AM   #8
Cali
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pussygalore View Post
are they still hibernating? old torts don't like changes so any need to be done gradually, their old garden must have had all they needed so putting them into a 'run' will mean you will have to provide what they would be missing. As has been said this would mean some sort of housing instead of the bushes/shelter that they could naturally find, if they are still dug down then I'd leave them there as long as possible unless they have to be moved straight away, simply finding them could be hard. If they do have to be moved and would normally be hibernating for another month or more then they may need to come into the house in a table with heat and light untill the weather gets good enough to put them outside again. I don't know if you could dig them up, move them, and expect them to dig down again, for a start they'd be to sleepy to do so and as its still not warm enough for them to be active I think they could die. If they can stay where they are buried then that would be the best bet and wait untill they emerge they should be fine but it could be a few weeks yet untill you see them.. One more thing if you have a rough patch of garden, not just lawn then make your run there and simply add plants etc if needed, old established weeds and soil is far better drained etc than a newly dug area and I'll take a guess and say thats what they are used to unless your relative used to dig their garden.

Thank you, that's really helpful, and thank you to everyone else that has replied. They are still hibernating and can probably stay where they are until they wake up as long as the house isn't sold, but since there isn't even any interest in in yet I think they'll be ok. I have lots of 'rough' patches in the garden as we keep some of it as a nature garden. I hadn't thought about putting the run down there before but there is no reason why I couldn't and there are lots of wild plants and flowers. They mostly stayed on the lawn at grandmas garden, but it was a large gorgeous walled garden on several levels and they also went in the flowerbeds and around and about, even up the stairs.

I do know that the small one (male?) was sometimes aggressive to the larger (female?) one, and would bang against her shell and even broke it once. Grandma would try and keep them separate when he did this by putting them in different bits of the garden. Would it be best to have two runs and keep them separate, or would they be happier together?

I was looking at this run:
http://www.thetortoiseshop.com/torto...rtoise-run-5ft
Would it be ok? One of them is quite big. I could maybe build something larger if its too small but I like the idea of buying a premade one which is less likely to fall apart! It has some shelter built in.
Old 25-02-2014, 11:24 AM   #9
emma_mcraf
Adult

I definitely wouldn't house them with the chickens. Hens are so inquisitive and like to peck. My torts are kept completely separate from my chooks.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 02:00 PM   #10
burnt toast
Adult

Hi Calli well done for keeping these old torts. I would love to see pictures. Are they awake from hibernation now? I would look for a sunny area in you garden and section it off using either log roll or decking bolted togegher. I wouldnt worry immediately about extra expense of housing, if you choose somewhere that has a few shrubs or you could provide a rabbit hutch you could get cheaply 2nd hand? This would do for the time being especially if they havent been used to much. On cold days,nights though hitting 10degrees or less you would have to bring them indoors and provide a heat lamp to warm them up. Do youhave a shed? Or greenhouse?
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote