Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 25-08-2021, 05:22 PM   #11
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvonne G View Post
Oh lordy, lordy. . . will it never end, Gordon? Have you been Covid tested?
Or it could just be old age Yvonne:0)
Gordon has had so much wrong with him, he might not recognise old age:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2021, 06:25 PM   #12
Gordon
Adult

I think you could be right sandy or even just a combination of all.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2021, 11:20 AM   #13
emma_mcraf
Adult

The summer has just gone. Been busy, broke my foot , celebrated our silver wedding anniversary, days spent looking after the menagerie and so on. Nothing exciting to report really - just laundry, hoovering, dusting, cleaning, gardening, cooking, baking, teaching.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2021, 03:38 PM   #14
Gordon
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma_mcraf View Post
The summer has just gone. Been busy, broke my foot , celebrated our silver wedding anniversary, days spent looking after the menagerie and so on. Nothing exciting to report really - just laundry, hoovering, dusting, cleaning, gardening, cooking, baking, teaching.
Go on make the story really exciting on how you managed to break your foot.
Old 26-08-2021, 06:15 PM   #15
emma_mcraf
Adult

Well, I got out of bed, stood up and fell straight down as my foot was numb (neuropathy). I was half asleep so tried to stand up again and went crashing back down a second time. Third time I managed to stay up.
Foot was hurting from then but I thought it was a knock/soft tissue injury and I'd bruise, so continued on with my morning.
It started swelling and swelled some more and then really hurting. I've got a good pain threshold but I had my foot up at one point and was looking at it and thinking it looked very odd and then when I tried to weight bear, it really wasn't that easy anymore, so I talked to Dr Google who told me to go to my nearest urgent care asap.
That's it! I stood up, I fell over nothing and broke my foot!

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine

Old 26-08-2021, 08:15 PM   #16
Gordon
Adult

Quote:
Well, I got out of bed, stood up and fell straight down as my foot was numb (neuropathy). I was half asleep so tried to stand up again and went crashing back down a second time. Third time I managed to stay up.
Foot was hurting from then but I thought it was a knock/soft tissue injury and I'd bruise, so continued on with my morning.
It started swelling and swelled some more and then really hurting. I've got a good pain threshold but I had my foot up at one point and was looking at it and thinking it looked very odd and then when I tried to weight bear, it really wasn't that easy anymore, so I talked to Dr Google who told me to go to my nearest urgent care asap.
That's it! I stood up, I fell over nothing and broke my foot!
That's not very exciting I thought you might of come up with some sort of tortoise related injury.
Old 26-08-2021, 08:39 PM   #17
emma_mcraf
Adult

Lottie our rescue pug is always under my feet and the amount of times I joke she’s going to kill me…literally all the kids asked straightaway if I’d tripped over her!! Nope, can’t blame it on anything. I got up and fell down. Boring as can be.
Had to get hubby home from work as I couldn’t have driven myself to hospital plus needed someone to be with my son who has autism and the dogs. ��

Had it examined. Told it was most likely a break but the X-ray machine was being serviced and a part had been ordered so could I please come back in the morning. What were the chances?!
Phoned the nearest main hospital and they had a 3 hour wait for triage plus two major crashes on the motorway, so we decided against that, went home, I elevated, ate ice cream and watched as the bruising started.
So next morning had to go through the same palaver but was there nice and early and seen quickly.
I had a subtle fracture of the cortex of the 5th metatarsal and a second possible fracture of the tarsals (bit further back near the cuboid bone) as there was an overlap which can be indicative of a break. They said the consultant would check the x-rays and I’d be contacted should he/she feel I needed further treatment - cast, boot, etc - but it’s simply rest, elevation, painkillers (and ice if I need it for 20 mins at a time) for as long as needed. The nurse kept exclaiming at the amount of swelling. I told her she should have seen it yesterday ������
I was lucky not to need a boot because there was no displacement and this bone can usually heal itself well with the care recommendations. It’s about 6 weeks recovery but symptoms can still be present up until 3-6 months and even after that there might be pain or swelling if I walk on uneven ground or am stood for a long period of time. So I did as I was told and I was able to walk comfortably enough on it at around 6-8 weeks.
It was great watching the bruising expand, change colour and so on. I was lucky as hubby was on annual leave the following week so he painted the hall, I sat with my foot elevated and watched Netflix and it was nice to have a week off standing to cook and do the dishes.

Old 27-08-2021, 08:55 AM   #18
Gordon
Adult

Quote:
Lottie our rescue pug is always under my feet and the amount of times I joke she’s going to kill me…literally all the kids asked straightaway if I’d tripped over her!! Nope, can’t blame it on anything. I got up and fell down. Boring as can be.
Had to get hubby home from work as I couldn’t have driven myself to hospital plus needed someone to be with my son who has autism and the dogs. ��

Had it examined. Told it was most likely a break but the X-ray machine was being serviced and a part had been ordered so could I please come back in the morning. What were the chances?!
Phoned the nearest main hospital and they had a 3 hour wait for triage plus two major crashes on the motorway, so we decided against that, went home, I elevated, ate ice cream and watched as the bruising started.
So next morning had to go through the same palaver but was there nice and early and seen quickly.
I had a subtle fracture of the cortex of the 5th metatarsal and a second possible fracture of the tarsals (bit further back near the cuboid bone) as there was an overlap which can be indicative of a break. They said the consultant would check the x-rays and I’d be contacted should he/she feel I needed further treatment - cast, boot, etc - but it’s simply rest, elevation, painkillers (and ice if I need it for 20 mins at a time) for as long as needed. The nurse kept exclaiming at the amount of swelling. I told her she should have seen it yesterday ������
I was lucky not to need a boot because there was no displacement and this bone can usually heal itself well with the care recommendations. It’s about 6 weeks recovery but symptoms can still be present up until 3-6 months and even after that there might be pain or swelling if I walk on uneven ground or am stood for a long period of time. So I did as I was told and I was able to walk comfortably enough on it at around 6-8 weeks.
It was great watching the bruising expand, change colour and so on. I was lucky as hubby was on annual leave the following week so he painted the hall, I sat with my foot elevated and watched Netflix and it was nice to have a week off standing to cook and do the dishes.
All sounds very exciting but the thing that I'm concerned about is how the heck did they manage with out the cook and bottle washer.
Old 27-08-2021, 07:36 PM   #19
emma_mcraf
Adult

Makes them realise how much I do!!
It was easy meals from the freezer and spag bol and a curry, all of which hubby cooked up.
Half the time it’s just him, me and the youngest as the other two are off with their other halves and the eldest moved out years ago.
Youngest has his first Covid vaccine tomorrow as he’s classed as clinically vulnerable, so that’s good news. Nice to have the whole household vaccinated before winter though hubby’s is probably wearing off now as ge had his first in January.

Old 06-09-2021, 11:41 AM   #20
CherryBrandy
Adult

morning all !!! Emma & Yvonne its just like a netflix movie ! and then you win millions of pounds and build a tortoise village, save turtles and tortoises...I wait with anticipation. I broke my foot getting it trapped in the duvet - what is it with aquarians!? none weight bearing plaster cast (they shouldn't have cause like yours it then swelled up ! and an air boot for 12 weeks. Hope alan and Gordon and you feeling bit better. its been dire weather here and thinking of packing the torts off and then bingo its 100 degrees. hope everyone is ok and have a nice week , ill try send some pickys soon..