Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 16-05-2018, 07:50 PM   #1
msjaffacake
Egg

Default Acquiring a new tortoise

Hi I'm acquiring a tortoise from my neighbour she's had for 15 years. The tortoise is 50. She lets the tortoise roam in her conservatory in cold/bad weather and in the garden when it's nice. She's retired so she's always in. I work full time so I'm wondering where can I put her in the day? She said she'd like her to carry on living like she does. I asked her if I can leave her in the garden when I'm out but said noo. Someone else I spoke to who has a smaller, younger tortoise says his is in his garden all the time unless it's really cold. So what do I do? I'd like her to be able to roam in the garden but are there any predators I should be aware of? Cats/seagulls? My conservatory will be way too hot to leave her. When it gets cold she can go in the conservatory. I don't want to "downsize" her roaming area too much when I'm at work. Any advice please would really help. Thanks very much
msjaffacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2018, 07:36 PM   #2
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Hi there and welcome to the forum. Do you know what species the tortoise is?

Some birds can be a threat but some keepers say not to a larger tortoise. Magpies will come right down and are very cheeky and they are a threat to my tortoises. What birds do you get in the actual garden as opposed to the area?

Tortoises need help to do well in the UK. Even if it was safe from predators, a garden without a greenhouse or coldframe or shed with heating is not suitable in the long term.

So I suggest you need a coldframe / greenhouse with a basking lamp as a bare minimum. But let's see what others say.
Old 18-05-2018, 07:59 PM   #3
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by msjaffacake View Post
Hi I'm acquiring a tortoise from my neighbour she's had for 15 years. The tortoise is 50. She lets the tortoise roam in her conservatory in cold/bad weather and in the garden when it's nice. She's retired so she's always in. I work full time so I'm wondering where can I put her in the day? She said she'd like her to carry on living like she does. I asked her if I can leave her in the garden when I'm out but said noo. Someone else I spoke to who has a smaller, younger tortoise says his is in his garden all the time unless it's really cold. So what do I do? I'd like her to be able to roam in the garden but are there any predators I should be aware of? Cats/seagulls? My conservatory will be way too hot to leave her. When it gets cold she can go in the conservatory. I don't want to "downsize" her roaming area too much when I'm at work. Any advice please would really help. Thanks very much
As Jonathan has said provided the tortoise has some sort of housing to go into when its colder, they do fine. Mine have either a coldframe or GH to go into. These provide some heat even when unheated. As long as there is not a threat of frost and the garden is tortoise proof ( they can climb corners, and open fences. And can get through the smallest of gaps) then they do brilliantly. I have had my tortoises over 36yrs and are outside 24/7 with housing from May until late Autumn.
Cats are not a problem for tortoises, and magpies rarely go into my garden. And they rarely try to get to large tortoises.
Poisonous plants could be a problem though. Such as Poppies, anything from a bulb, Fox gloves to name a few:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2018, 11:31 PM   #4
msjaffacake
Egg

Hi thankyou for your replies. We mainly get pigeons, starlings and a few seagulls. Not seen any magpies. The lady whose giving me the tortoise has a glass box type thing for indoors and a similar one made of wood I think that's always in the garden. Tomorrow I'm going to build a ground level enclosure with gravel, soil, rocks etc to go in during the day with chicken wire over the top. Providing water and shaded hides. I suppose I'll need to post in the food thread about the best things to feed her as I don't have bushes in the garden. Veg that we eat?
Old 19-05-2018, 08:39 PM   #5
CherryBrandy
Adult

don't be too afraid to do as nature intended. tortoises should not be kept in a conservatory they need natural UV and outdoors where the keeper can so if this is your choice then tortoise will be fine in a bit of rain and all weathers - that's what they do and survived 200 million years doing it way before conservatories - however for a nice life a warm dry house and cloche or areas of interest and out the hot sun will suit fine - she will be ok - some people don't like to think they are outdoors in the open and wilds but its normal and is healthy , CB
Old 19-05-2018, 10:42 PM   #6
msjaffacake
Egg

Thankyou. I was making an outdoor enclosure for her today. It's mainly gravel with some grass/weeds. I've got a large plant pot on its side with compost in so she hide or bury. A wooden curved bridge that she can go under and there's some herbs. She probably won't eat those but it's given a bit more greenery! Will have a water dish too. Is she safe to be out there when I'm at work? Would I need to put chicken wire over the top?
Old 25-05-2018, 09:04 PM   #7
CherryBrandy
Adult

I think the area may not lend itself to chicken wire - maybe some birdy scarers. rule of thumb for a 9inch tortoise shouldn't be kept in less than 9ft x 9ft area. Sounds lovely for her and much better than indoors. Try and get some weeds growing too, collect some dandelion clocks or just before they clocked and dig them in , CB