Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > Introduce Yourself

Old 10-10-2016, 10:52 PM   #11
terrypin
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozric Jonathan View Post
Hi Terry. Of course I know you from elsewhere! Welcome back to sw. I agree that tortoise forums in general are not as busy as they once were. Including this one. But there is enough interest to keep us ticking along until the next bit of excitement.

Of Moderators we have little need but Alan is there if we need him!
Hello I still have the forum and like this one things are quiet. Dawn has left and I am a bit lost without her. Although Sandy is still there supporting us and giving out great advice based on years of tortoise keeping. Personally I like the moderators around sometimes things can get nasty and this wont happen on TI that was one of the reasons for starting it. I am here really because I stopped reading every post on mine just letting the mods get on with it. I feel I negelcted TI and need to get back to basics sharing my experiences and perhaps helping new keepers. I hope TI will get busy again but until people realise facebook groups are just glorified chat roooms it may be a while before we are busy again.
Old 11-10-2016, 10:06 AM   #12
Gordon
Adult

Been meaning to say hello but just flat out working and sorting out tortoises that seem to think it's fine to start laying at 8.30pm.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 10:33 AM   #13
terrypin
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Been meaning to say hello but just flat out working and sorting out tortoises that seem to think it's fine to start laying at 8.30pm.
Hello Gordon late in the year to be laying or do you keep tropicals
Old 11-10-2016, 12:18 PM   #14
Gordon
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrypin View Post
Hello Gordon late in the year to be laying or do you keep tropicals
Nope it was a hercovennsis I also had a horsfield lay the day before and a thb lay a few days before that outside it's been a very odd season for me they all seem to be late I am going to be unindated with babies over the winter.
I do however have a few breeds that don't hibernate just so as I have an excuse to stay out in the tortoise room.
Old 11-10-2016, 01:09 PM   #15
terrypin
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Nope it was a hercovennsis I also had a horsfield lay the day before and a thb lay a few days before that outside it's been a very odd season for me they all seem to be late I am going to be unindated with babies over the winter.
I do however have a few breeds that don't hibernate just so as I have an excuse to stay out in the tortoise room.
I rarely see any eggs after late July that is with my meds THB TGG. I am in Jersey C.I. it was roasting some days even as late as September.
Old 11-10-2016, 01:13 PM   #16
Gordon
Adult

Quote:
I rarely see any eggs after late July that is with my meds THB TGG. I am in Jersey C.I. it was roasting some days even as late as September.
Mine are normally the same but for some reason this year they all seem to think I need to be looking after 60 odd babies all winter and that's without my egyptians who will be laying soon
Old 12-10-2016, 11:57 PM   #17
Anita Sayles
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to Anita Sayles

Quote:
I hope TI will get busy again but until people realise facebook groups are just glorified chat roooms it may be a while before we are busy again.
Hi. TBH I haven't posted in forums for ages, I'm sorry that includes your forum Terry. Posts on forums have declined sadly. I also keep fish and was a moderator on a fish forum for many years, sadly that forum closed down. I think since Facebook etc the whole forum community spirit has suffered. I know on the fish forum at the end no one seemed particularly interested in joining in, they just asked their question, got their answer and never posted again. Big shame really but I think things will turn around...
Old 13-10-2016, 12:34 AM   #18
terrypin
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita Sayles View Post
Hi. TBH I haven't posted in forums for ages, I'm sorry that includes your forum Terry. Posts on forums have declined sadly. I also keep fish and was a moderator on a fish forum for many years, sadly that forum closed down. I think since Facebook etc the whole forum community spirit has suffered. I know on the fish forum at the end no one seemed particularly interested in joining in, they just asked their question, got their answer and never posted again. Big shame really but I think things will turn around...
I must confess I had neglected TI for the last couple of years and left it pretty much to Dawn and my moderators to keep things running. I had some work issues and needed to concentrate on that and the tortoises. Happily everything is sorted and now I find for her own personal reasons Dawn has left and two of my moderators lost heart and left the forum.I am lucky in that Sandy is still there supporting me as my original moderator so any questions can be answered by myself or Sandy who has nearly 35 years experience keeping tortoises. What we dont have is a lively personality like both Dawn and Tiggy were. I am spending more time working on the forum and all the seperate websites containing my caresheets and hatchling diet. What I dont have is anyone to talk to on the forum. This is why I need to come here or I will lose interest in the tortoise world onine and go dig my allotment instead.

As you must remember we have seperate sections for other pets and even for wildlife so please if you have any pictures of your lovely fish I have a real soft spot for Discus

Last edited by terrypin; 13-10-2016 at 12:39 AM.
terrypin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2016, 12:41 AM   #19
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

I think forum decline is widespread and permanent. Unless this format somehow reinvents itself it's going to dwindle to nought.
If we could understand better why people prefer other formats maybe we could prevent this one going the same way as Anita's fish forum.

I don't know the answer but I can have a stab at the question. What is it about facebook groups that most people prefer? If we had the answer to that maybe we could change this format to satisfy most people without losing the qualities that we all value.
Old 17-10-2016, 09:55 AM   #20
burnt toast
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozric Jonathan View Post
I think forum decline is widespread and permanent. Unless this format somehow reinvents itself it's going to dwindle to nought.
If we could understand better why people prefer other formats maybe we could prevent this one going the same way as Anita's fish forum.

I don't know the answer but I can have a stab at the question. What is it about facebook groups that most people prefer? If we had the answer to that maybe we could change this format to satisfy most people without losing the qualities that we all value.
The ease of posting photos maybe?
Because its mobile phone friendly?
Because its self generating? It sends notifications, prompting a response?
& people get into the habit of checking/ or rather cant miss, when they look at their phone for maybe another reason theres the facebook notification?
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote