Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Turtles and Terrapins > Aquatic, Semi-Aquatic, and Terrestrial Turtles

Old 21-06-2018, 12:39 AM   #1
Turvy Turtle
Egg

Smile Aquarium advice for False Map turtle please😀

Hi, I hope it's ok to ask about aquariums here, but I had some great advice about 4 years ago when my turtle had a shell problem so thought I'd try here first.

My turtle's tank has sprung a leak and although someone has suggested I could reseal it, I'm using this as an excuse to get something a tiny bit better. We haven't had the money before and don't have enough now to get something amazing, but even a bit bigger is better, so I've been on fb all day looking for something. I've found 2 that are within my price range and near enough to collect, but they are quite different sizes and I really don't know which would be best for Turvy. Some sites online say the amount of floor space is most important and others say height or overall volume, so I'm flummoxed and have been dithering all day while our current tank is steadily leaking away.....🙄.

His current tank is 100cm long X 40cm high X 40cm wide (160 litres), with an above tank basking area. Tank N° 1 is 120cm long X 45cm high X 40cm wide (216 litres), and tank N° 2 is 98cm long X 63cm high X 46cm wide (284 litres). My first instinct was to go with overall volume, as tank N° 2 is considerably bigger, but now I'm wondering if a lot of this is going to be unused space. Tank N° 1 has the most floor space. Ideally I'd like one that is longer, higher and wider but haven't managed to find that at a price that I can afford. If anyone has any advice on which would be better, I'd be very grateful as at this rate my current tank will be empty before I manage to make a decision!🤔😔

Many thanks,
Tammy
Turvy Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2018, 07:54 AM   #2
ClareandCo
Sub Adult

What sort of price had you in mind that you are prepared to pay?
ClareandCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2018, 01:33 PM   #3
Turvy Turtle
Egg

Hi, we can only afford £100-£120 unfortunately😕. I have 2 other people that I've messaged last night asking for the dimensions on tanks they have for sale, so maybe have a couple of other choices. At the moment I'm leaning toward the tank with overall higher volume as a quick Google search suggests that as False maps are excellent swimmers, the deeper the water the better. Also, ive been watching Turvy today and he definitively seems to spend a lot if time swimming up and down rather than across the length if the tank.
Old 21-06-2018, 06:32 PM   #4
CherryBrandy
Adult

how sweet ! All I can say is my fish loves swimming deeply rather than along so therefore I don't know, haven't got a clue, but I loved reading your post. Turvy is very lucky and feel free to post a photo of him, we don't get that many images of shelled water warriors on here, CB
Old 21-06-2018, 08:57 PM   #5
Turvy Turtle
Egg

Thank you! Here is a pic of Turvy, obviously waiting to be fed....😊.

Old 21-06-2018, 10:02 PM   #6
emma_mcraf
Adult

What a great photo.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2018, 11:13 PM   #7
Turvy Turtle
Egg

Thank you😀
Old 21-06-2018, 11:28 PM   #8
Jan W
Sub Adult

Lovely photo - great shot.