Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 25-08-2011, 10:32 AM   #11
Watermelon
Adult

Im guessing the reason my post was deleted was to eliminate any possible competition.........
Watermelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 12:26 PM   #12
ScotiaTheOne
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by onarock View Post
I feed until my tortoises quit eating. Keep offering food until you get a feel for how much he/she is eating. For hatchlings I feed cactus, Mazuri and weeds mainly and grass is always available along with hibiscus flowers and leaves. It will take a few feedings but you will figure it out.
Thanks for the helpful reply, I'll try that
ScotiaTheOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 05:30 PM   #13
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotiaTheOne View Post
Hey guys

In anticipation of getting my first tort (yay) on saturday, I was wondering how much I should feed him/her each day.

I think I know what to feed it, but dunno how much. I've heard 'enough to cover the shell' - could someone please upload a photo for me next time they feed their tort to show the food on their shell?

Is probably a silly question, but his amount could mean a couple of things and I'd just rather be safe than sorry.

Cheers!
I would agree about getting the feel of feeding, or knowing amount's to offer. New tortoises can take a while to settle in to a complete routine, waking, warming and eating, so untill this is sorted a guide of feeding as much as can cover a shell, a little more can be added later during the day if appetite is there.
Old 25-08-2011, 09:00 PM   #14
littlestar
Hatched

"enough to cover there shell" well theres a thing in some tort keepers "opinions" too much food can be a caurse of pyramiding. if there just small/young torts put food in and see how they get on you will get the hang of it.

i occasionally use the opuntia powder (from shelled warriors)a small amount sprinkled on about once a month but only till my plants are big enough to feed pads too the torts.
littlestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 09:27 PM   #15
filardimarg2
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to filardimarg2

When i first got my first tortoise last January, i was told only to feed as much as would cover her shell, yes for the reason of too much food can cause pyramiding.

Marg.
filardimarg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2011, 09:19 AM   #16
kkenny
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watermelon View Post
I give more than just to cover the shell. My two hermanns are about a year old. Typically in a day I'll give them 2 big leaves such as dandelion, one or 2 flowers and some smaller leaves like plantain or pansy.
Yes me too, that sound a perfect amount varied each day.

Spartacus, THB, March 2013
Henry, THB, July 2008
kkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2011, 02:12 PM   #17
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

Nothing set in stone that intake of food can cause pyramiding, some lean toward's lack of humidity as a cause as well.
Old 26-08-2011, 04:38 PM   #18
Watermelon
Adult

Ive taken snaps of before and after phoebe and daisy's meal, will put them on later, but they will give you a rough idea maybe. If i ever gave p + d food just to cover their shell they wouldnt be happy! I always chuck loads in, they just eat till they're full. Somedays they eat lots somedays they dont. Today they ate rather a lot! Daisy is 27g and should be 33g and phoebe is 33g and should be 39g according to the comparison graph thing. So its not like theyre over eating and obese either! Sorry forgot what the measuring theory is called! Whoopsie.
Old 26-08-2011, 07:47 PM   #19
littlestar
Hatched

all torts are different dont go off what "Comparision graphs" say their all individuals
littlestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2011, 08:59 PM   #20
Watermelon
Adult

This is just as they started eating.

This is what was left.... (plants in same order)