Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 14-05-2013, 01:57 PM   #1
Mighty_Quinn
Hatchling

Default Raised Outside enclosure

Has anyone made an outdoor enclosure thats raised off the ground a foot or so? Im considering making one for quinn as the garden is on a bit of a slope and my section is at the bottom. Im thinking for drainage purposes i would be better having it raised off the ground and drainage holes drilled in the bottom, this would be covered with some very fine netting and then filled with loads of soil and other stuff etc.......anyone pictures of designs theyve done like this? im hoping for about 5ft * 3ft
Old 14-05-2013, 04:27 PM   #2
kazzabb
Hatched

Hi, you could consider having a French drain. I think it's where you dig a trench around the outside of the enclosure on the uphill side, at the bottom of the trench put a perforated pipe which leads to wherever you want it to (downhill of course; into the drains or soak-away) then fill it with gravel. So in theory the water doesn't get to your enclosure, it runs into your French drain and is taken away. Something like that anyway.
I'm looking for a new enclosure frame, and have seen these people Aviaries 4 u who will make whatever size you want, just waiting for an estimate - it would be painted dark green and would have corrugated transparent sheets on the top and three sides, and a 25cm high wooden bit around the bottom so they can't see out. I've spent 5 weekends trying to rebuild mine and now I'm knackered and it's starting to lean, so will bite the bullet and get a proper one at the end of the summer.
Karen
http://bigspace.celerity.co.uk/aviar...cken_run_7.jpg