Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 23-02-2017, 11:58 PM   #1
TJC
Egg

Default URGENT Hibernation advice

Hello,

I have two Hermans tortoises. I have hibernated them 3-4 times in a fridge. However today we had a powercut lasting several hours. The temperature in the fridge has been upto 9.9 degrees C according to my thermometer. I have just checked the tortoises, we have now had power for about 6 hours. On eappears to still be in hibernation, however the other one has moved since I last checked. It also appeared to be opening one eye when I moved the box under the light to see better.

I'm not sure if it is waking up or just moving because of the light. I know you shouldn't attempt to rehibernate them if they wake up. They are both still in the fridge. I think I Should take out the one I that might have woken?

Thanks,
Tim
TJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 09:10 PM   #2
Jan W
Sub Adult

Hello Tim I don't keep Hermans but as your post takes a day to appear I have responded to make sure it stays on todays threads as one of the experts can answer.

With mine I always get up if they wake. Last year they woke up below 10 degrees and that was a surprise. It was as if they knew it was time to wake up.

Welcome to the forum.
Old 24-02-2017, 10:01 PM   #3
RacingSnake
Hatchling

Send a message via MSN to RacingSnake

Tim, see the very next thread down (mine) that I posted a couple of days ago.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=74374
Essentially, one of mine woke up (opened eyes), so I got them both up just to be safe.
    {_}-{_}                    {_}-{_}
RacingSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 11:23 PM   #4
TJC
Egg

I'm not sure that he actually woke up. I think I may have just been paranoid. It was just one eye half opening when I moved the box under the light to see better. I did some research and apparently they can open eyes while being checked. He had crawled up to the top of the box but he was near the top anyway. It's not like he was wide awake, walking around.

I checked them both earlier and they both seem to be as they were before the power cut. The one who I thought might have woken has dug back down, head in she'll and eyes closed. They have just over a week left of hibernation to go.

Hopefully I've done the right thing. I check them everyday so if anything changes I should notice pretty quickly. Temperatures are about 4.5-6.5 degrees.
Old 24-02-2017, 11:46 PM   #5
tortydat
Sub Adult

If in doubt always get them up.
tortydat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 11:16 AM   #6
CherryBrandy
Adult

rule of thumb is they know spring is coming - like when a bulb shoots up ...it just knows.

Three things would make me say - wake up but you can do this slowly over next few days at ambient room temperature or under cover outside.

1) eye is open. He is awake ! 2) crawled to top - he is active be it slow 3) if temps hit 9 - 12 degrees in a row 3 days running then usually a tortoise will wake - fridge is artificial and at this time of year there will be changes happening in the tortoise regardless (if hibernated for a while..)

You can't change nature. Don't panic though as it will take a few days for them to rally and acclimatise. If you leave them in there they may become anxious, worse post anorexic. CB
Old 25-02-2017, 02:09 PM   #7
Suze65
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBrandy View Post
rule of thumb is they know spring is coming - like when a bulb shoots up ...it just knows.

Three things would make me say - wake up but you can do this slowly over next few days at ambient room temperature or under cover outside.

1) eye is open. He is awake ! 2) crawled to top - he is active be it slow 3) if temps hit 9 - 12 degrees in a row 3 days running then usually a tortoise will wake - fridge is artificial and at this time of year there will be changes happening in the tortoise regardless (if hibernated for a while..)

You can't change nature. Don't panic though as it will take a few days for them to rally and acclimatise. If you leave them in there they may become anxious, worse post anorexic. CB
Good advice here

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 08:16 PM   #8
TJC
Egg

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Turned out I calculated the hibernation period wrong and they only had a few days left. When I realised this I decided to take them out anyway, and then i could also stop worrying!

They woke up fine and after a bath and heat, they were back to normal.

Tim
Old 03-03-2017, 09:22 PM   #9
Jan W
Sub Adult

That's good to hear. Thanks for update.