Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 21-02-2017, 08:25 PM   #1
RacingSnake
Hatchling

Send a message via MSN to RacingSnake
Question Premature wake up

Hi Guys,
Long time no post (sorry!!!)
Got a bit of a worry on my hands... I've been hibernating our pair (fridge method) since Christmas eve....
Plan was to get them out wk3 of March, as such their house is not yet set up and ready for them.

I've just come home from work tonight, did my daily temperature check and found it at 15 degrees.... my wife unplugged the fridge this morning to use the plug socket

I've switched it back on, but one of my pair is awake and looking around....
will they go back down when the temps drop? or do I need to do a rapid preparation of their house and get them up? - not ideal timing in the day either!! I'd have preferred to do a morning wake up.

What do we think? Any advice much appreciated!!
    {_}-{_}                    {_}-{_}
RacingSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 09:01 PM   #2
CherryBrandy
Adult

Hello ! views may differ, and sometimes early on I let them go back to sleep but once awake at this time of year you will need to get them up. you can not reverse that chemical reaction in their bodies and if she did fall asleep again its already triggered if she is awake. Sorry ! probably not ideal. I may be cursed for saying this but a nice cardboard box and a towel on the floor in a small room in the house may suffice for a bit and if you can hang a heat emitter from a secure position to get ambient temp up then that's good. I have one in a microwaveable rice box who can come and go in the spare room at the moment as she has just had a bath and too cold to put back out in the conservatory, good luck , keep us posted, lovely to hear your news ! CB
Old 21-02-2017, 09:48 PM   #3
Jan W
Sub Adult

I would get them up this late. CBs idea for a temporary homes sounds a practical approach.

Removing the plug reminded me of a true story in a hospital abroad where the cleaner kept removing the patients ventilator plug so that she could vacuum!
Old 21-02-2017, 09:57 PM   #4
RacingSnake
Hatchling

Thanks guys, I'm inclined to agree.
I've spent the last hour and a half trying to set up temporary accommodation, and ordering a stack of stuff on amazon prime to get the main house up and running... (for Thursday I think will be the earliest).

I even said to myself this year that I'd get the house 'ready' as soon as I put them in hibernation so I don't do a last minute rush that didn't work out so well! lol

Will keep you posted, and I'll make an effort to post more... it's been over a year since my last post!!
Old 21-02-2017, 10:04 PM   #5
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Long time no see Racing Snake!

A shock to see your name - but in a good way.

I agree that your torts are now up and expecting them to go back down might be inviting a problem. Release of glycogen etc has now happened. I'm sure they'll be OK with some make shift arrangement until the white van man calls!
Old 21-02-2017, 10:18 PM   #6
emma_mcraf
Adult

Good to see you back posting.
Good luck with getting their accommodation all sorted this week. Best laid plans and all that....

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2017, 04:47 PM   #7
Suze65
Adult

Hello and what a nice surprise to see you back on here. I agree with the others, I would get them up now, a simple enclosure will do until you can get everything ready, keeping them warm is the most important thing.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2017, 08:29 PM   #8
CherryBrandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan W View Post
I would get them up this late. CBs idea for a temporary homes sounds a practical approach.

Removing the plug reminded me of a true story in a hospital abroad where the cleaner kept removing the patients ventilator plug so that she could vacuum!
Ha ! or my mum who went to turn the fan off and turned off the freezer by mistake until the next day when she realised the fan was still going with a puddle nearby from the freezer. Or when she switched the oven on and left some tea towels in there that caught fire instead of turning the phone on which she mistakenly had turned off thinking it was the microwave she was turning off ....or the time she put the plate of sausages to cook in the oven instead of the microwave and then took it out with bare hands as she thought it was in the microwave dropped it on the floor and now has a plate size scorch mark - which we drink to every Christmas...or the time...

ok good to hear torts will be up ! CB
Old 23-02-2017, 03:56 PM   #9
RacingSnake
Hatchling

Hi all, good to see some familiar faces still around

Took a 'work from home' day today, the amazon-man turned up, and a quick trip to the pet-store for some new light bulbs etc, and we're all up and running.
Will get out in an hour or so to get some weeds, in the mean time they've got some nasty looking pellets that we've never had before because it's all the store had

They're both still really sluggish, hopefully they'll warm up and get going shortly

Old 23-02-2017, 05:34 PM   #10
CherryBrandy
Adult

wow that's your temporary set up !!? how fantastic - puts my microwavable rice box with dispensable t towel to shame !! Love the picky CB