Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 14-10-2007, 08:34 PM   #1
Julia
Egg

Default buying a tortoise abroad

Hi,
I was wondering if I can buy a tortoise from a breeder abroad (thinking of someone in Germany), with papers etc.. Would I be allowed to bring it in just through customs, or would it have to go into quarantaine, in which case I would not want to do this anyway. Does anyone have experience with this ?
Thanks
Julia
Julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2007, 08:43 PM   #2
Tamie Milne
Hatched

Why buy an import when there are breeders in the UK ?

Tamie
Old 14-10-2007, 08:52 PM   #3
helen1
Sub Adult

i am not sure how, but I was contacted by somone from an Embassy earlier this year to foster their two youngsters who had been abroad with them on two moves but if the next move panned out as expected couldnt take them... i will check out my emails and see where and what the requirements were and get back to you if I still have it.

Is the person abroad a personal friend? Just being nosy! I had a friend abroad who bred torts and I was tempted as I had seen how lovely they were, but being lazy at the time didnt take it further.
Old 14-10-2007, 08:55 PM   #4
wildlifewarrior
Banned
Adult

Send a message via MSN to wildlifewarrior

personally if the tortoise can be brought in the uk then do't get it from another country, even if it is cheap as it is going through unneed stress. Also it is also important to highlight that you should only buy CB animals where ever u get them from.

From the last look at it Herptiles are the only type of animals that don't need to be quarantained, although you do need to inform customs on what your bringing into the country and a few documents are needed and the correct pakcaging. I know poeple that but lizards,snakes and such from shows in america and Hamm in germany, but germally the reason most go to these shows are becuase they can get alot of different animals and breeds and a extememly cheap price, most of these animals are for sale in the U.K. anyway so it is better to do this.

am sure more people wud know about this on here that have a higher amount of knowledge on the tortousise front than me but i don't see the point in bringing one tort back, when you have have the breeders over here.
wildlifewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2007, 09:41 PM   #5
Julia
Egg

I was just wondering about this, as I will be going on a holiday to Germany and found a breeder living near where I will be going. Just thought in case I get tempted...
Julia
Julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2007, 11:24 PM   #6
phoenix23db
Hatched

Send a message via MSN to phoenix23db

i think you would have problems with customs but to be safe you could always ask DEFRA for a better idea on it.
0.2.0 Leopard's
phoenix23db is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2007, 08:31 AM   #7
nina
Adult

I think DEFRA has really strict rules about this, so you should contact them first (but as everyone has said there are lovely tortoises available from breeders in the UK, so why subject a tortoise to the stress of long distance travel).
Old 15-10-2007, 09:57 AM   #8
Templer-nt
Egg

I feel if the Tort is in good health and captive breed and can be transported with no stress to its self, then go ahead, There are very good breeders in the uk and will give you all the advice you could need by they normaly only sell young torts (hatchlinggs) as I have been looking for an adult or sub hermanni for a year now and no one has any avalible so in my case i would gat one from abroard if there is no other option in the uk but you must cantact defra first.. just my opinion....
Old 15-10-2007, 04:08 PM   #9
EJ
Adult

Does anyone else see a problem with the 'us and them' mentality of some people???????

So now... unless it is bred in the UK it is an import??????

I would wonder about the advice given from people with such a limited train of thought.

Needless to say, I don't think there is any problem with purchasing CB animals and bringing them into the UK. The problem is IDing them as CB. I believe that photo ID is not being accepted as proof and this is or was the main method of ID in Germany up until recently.
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2007, 04:14 PM   #10
Tamie Milne
Hatched

[quote="EJ"So now... unless it is bred in the UK it is an import????? [/quote]

Well of course it is, simple as really! If something/anything comes into the UK from another country it is IMPORTED and therefore an import. Hardly rocket science.

Tamie