Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 12-10-2007, 08:14 AM   #1
ME SHELL
Adult

Send a message via AIM to ME SHELL
Default Shell care

Hi I'm quite new here, after all the bad advice I was given to take care of my tort, I was wondering, are you supposed to rub olive oil in their shell after a bath? It was on the care sheets I was given with my tort and I have been doing this since I had him. His shell is gorgeous however, but I don't know if I'm doing wrong. I know in the wild he wouldn't be able too, but his shell is in immaculate condition. I'll send pics on the weekend of Torty I have to get batteries for my camera.
ME SHELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 09:32 AM   #2
sarah
Administrator
Adult

Hiya no your tortoises shell is living tissue and nothing must be put on it except water. If you put oil on and put him under an heat lamp or outside in the sun he will burn.

STRUGGLING TO FIND WEEDS? LOOK AT OUR DRIED WEEDS 'READY TO FEED'

Home of 'Grow Your Own Food' Bearded Dragon, Tortoise, Rabbit, Hamster seed mixes from 89p FREE POST
Livefood, Thermostats, Housing, Heating, Mercury Vapour bulbs, UVB etc etc CHEAP PRICES
TORTOISES ARE MY PASSION
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 10:23 AM   #3
Pussygalore
Adult

plus I also thought that the shell was absorbent at least to a certain extent it has heat exchangers so I would imagine anything that we put on them gets into the body eventually even in small quantities, I don't know whether they produce their own oil or not but mine with exception of Tootsie who had something put on her before I got her have lovely colours and shiny shells, hers unfortunatley has had somekind of substance put on her which has built up over the years and is now impossible to get off.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 11:45 AM   #4
Tamie Milne
Hatched

As has been said you ought not to have put anything on your tortoise's shell, apart from water.

I have had a number of tortoises here that have had oil caked into their shells over many years, one of the tortoises was nearly black - gently scrubbing with fairy washing up liquid removed the build up revealing the most beautiful colouration. Someone that has taken on a tortoise for me found that she had had vaseline put on her shell for many years - again fairy has successfully removed this.

I really would suggest you try and remove any of the olive oil with fairy over the next few days.

HTH

Tamie
Old 12-10-2007, 11:59 AM   #5
Pussygalore
Adult

thanks for that tip I didn't know I could use washing up liquid some of tootsies whatever came off when we first got her with the water but she's left with a dark residue which water just won't shift are you sure the soap won't hurt her? the stuff reminds me of hoof oil I'm sure its not but you never know anyway I'll try your advice it looks horrible and I think they are beautifull without any help.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:17 PM   #6
Tamie Milne
Hatched

Give it a try, I can assure you this works and as long as it is rinsed thoroughly wont do any harm. I recently rehomed a red earred slider that was caked in grot from a contaminated stream - double checked with Andy H and good old fairy worked with the slider as well. It may take a good few scrubs but eventually the fairy breaks down the build up. I wish I had taken a before and after shot of Tahlia to show the difference in her without the build up of oil.

Let me know how you get on, promise it wont hurt as long as you keep it from her eyes!

Tamie
Old 12-10-2007, 12:47 PM   #7
EJ
Adult

Default Shells

The tortoise shell is composed of Keratin on top which is non living and non porous material. This is the same material your fingernails are made of. Under the keratin is a fiberous layer which holds the keratin to the bony shell. The fiberous layer does contain blood vessles. The bony shell under the keratin is alive.

The only portion of the outer shell that migh be considered alive is the growth margins where the individual scutes connect.

While I don't put anything on tortoises shell and I don't recommend it, it does no harm to the tortoise. In fact some keepers are considering placing something such as a moisturizer on the shell with the thought that it is the dryness at the growth margins of the scutes that might be a cause for pyramiding.

I'd like to see photos of the shell if you get a chance.
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 01:14 PM   #8
Pussygalore
Adult

Here we go again
Old 12-10-2007, 01:16 PM   #9
piglet
Adult

Its strongly advised not to oil the carapace as it causes drying out of the Keratin layer,
Tortoises that have been oiled will bask in full sunshine as the oil evaporates it drys out the Keratin making it brittle and flaky, the Keratin is important to protect the underlying living material ,
I have seen tortoises that have been over oiled and lost most of the Keratin layer leaving them at more risk to shell injury and infection.
I strongly advise against it, but as a general pet keeper my advise may not be crucial
D
piglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 01:27 PM   #10
piglet
Adult

Two tortoises showing affects of excessive oiling
Male whitei his carapace is dry and has no luster there is evidence of flaking appearing now that oiling is not part of his husbandry, the oil kept it moist as it was done regularly with vegetable oil.

Male Tgg with seriously bad keratin damage , this tortoise was regularly oiled with baby oil , all his Keratin layer is missing exposing underlying bone material that is burnt black with again access use of oils and allowed to bask in full sunshine

piglet is offline   Reply With Quote