Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 19-01-2019, 01:00 AM   #141
emma_mcraf
Adult

Really hope the sickness holds off. Dealing with pain is so much easier when you don’t feel sick!
Good news the infection has finally been conquered! Rest up and take it easy. x

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 08:29 PM   #142
Suze65
Adult

How are you feeling Gordon, hopefully not too awful.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2019, 03:38 PM   #143
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Im not sure if I can say anything as I'm in shock as to how awful his life was. What he saw and had to do just to stay alive.

A must read.
I read it last week. It was so well-written by the author and she clearly portrayed him accurately and got to know him very well whilst he told her his story.
I see she is going to write about one of the other people in the book, Cilke, who also had to do and say things to stay alive in there.

I think what struck me was that many who were forced to do things for the SS - and lets face it, they had no choice - were later charged with being conspirators and sent to prison after the war.
I found it to be a book about endurance and focused on that element rather than the horrors of what the tattooist (Lale) had to do and what he witnessed. I found him to be a man of incredible strength mentally and he did whatever he could for others in there, not just for staying alive himself. He was a resourceful man and he deserved to survive to tell his story, which gives another perspective of the Holocaust from a primary source and in his case, someone who could have been shunned by society for what he did - as the title of the book tells us.

Anyway, how are you getting on Gordon? Hope you’ve been able to continue keeping the nausea at bay.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine

Old 27-01-2019, 07:34 PM   #144
Gordon
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma_mcraf View Post
I read it last week. It was so well-written by the author and she clearly portrayed him accurately and got to know him very well whilst he told her his story.
I see she is going to write about one of the other people in the book, Cilke, who also had to do and say things to stay alive in there.

I think what struck me was that many who were forced to do things for the SS - and lets face it, they had no choice - were later charged with being conspirators and sent to prison after the war.
I found it to be a book about endurance and focused on that element rather than the horrors of what the tattooist (Lale) had to do and what he witnessed. I found him to be a man of incredible strength mentally and he did whatever he could for others in there, not just for staying alive himself. He was a resourceful man and he deserved to survive to tell his story, which gives another perspective of the Holocaust from a primary source and in his case, someone who could have been shunned by society for what he did - as the title of the book tells us.

Anyway, how are you getting on Gordon? Hope you’ve been able to continue keeping the nausea at bay.
I don't read many books but that one will stay in my mind forever.

I'm doing OK Emma
I have seen the surgeon and he examined me and looked at the scan and just said yep needs to come out.
He has refured me to John Radcliffe hospital in Oxford to be seen ASAP so fingers crossed.
On the bright side the non hibernating torts are getting more atention than normal.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2019, 07:52 PM   #145
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
I don't read many books but that one will stay in my mind forever.

I'm doing OK Emma
I have seen the surgeon and he examined me and looked at the scan and just said yep needs to come out.
He has refured me to John Radcliffe hospital in Oxford to be seen ASAP so fingers crossed.
On the bright side the non hibernating torts are getting more atention than normal.
It's definitely a book where I won't forget the events or the people. I read a lot and I have favourite authors with characters, some fictional, some not, who I remember; I have many books I've read where I could tell you the storyline loosely but not the names of the main characters; but the story of Lale, Gita and those they had bonds with in the camp will definitely remain with me. I agree it is a story never to be forgotten.

I'm glad things are moving along, though it's still such a wait for you since before Christmas!
I've heard good things about John Radcliffe so if you have your surgery there I think you'll be in the best of hands. Roll on getting it over and done with and recuperating at home.
Bet the torts are loving the attention and I know you'll be loving spending more time with them.

Old 31-01-2019, 07:24 PM   #146
CherryBrandy
Adult

hope all ok. Did you read ' selling my gallbladder on ebay'? think its self help book.

I'm reading abiriiliant book all about the army in India but a mystery murder. Best thing I saw on TV over xmas but taped was Agatha Christie, Silent witness has nothing on her CB
Old 01-02-2019, 09:47 AM   #147
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBrandy View Post
hope all ok. Did you read ' selling my gallbladder on ebay'? think its self help book.

I'm reading abiriiliant book all about the army in India but a mystery murder. Best thing I saw on TV over xmas but taped was Agatha Christie, Silent witness has nothing on her CB
You know, I bet there’s someone who would buy it on eBay! Might be onto a little earner there, Gordon!

Old 01-02-2019, 10:30 AM   #148
Gordon
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma_mcraf View Post
You know, I bet there’s someone who would buy it on eBay! Might be onto a little earner there, Gordon!
There you go every gallbladder has a silver lining
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 10:33 AM   #149
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
There you go every gallbladder has a silver lining

Old 09-02-2019, 05:55 PM   #150
Suze65
Adult

Oh I haven’t been on here for a while, I’ve been completely absorbed by ancestry. Thingy. Tracing lots of family trees. I might be related to to Robert Peel, but that needs to be confirmed with actual paper work , ie birth certs etc. Glad to hear your getting there Gordon . Hope they whip it out soon.

It won’t be long now until it’s that time of year again when all the torts get up for another summer

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote