Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Caresheets/Links/Books

Old 12-06-2015, 09:23 PM   #21
pagan queen
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryn View Post
No its the direct heat on top of them and dehydration effect, they went into it further than that but basically basking lamps concentrate all the heat on top of the carapace where as in natural sunlight they heat up more evenly and deeply in the core.

Thats why Ive always preferred the small warming coldframe areas I have in the garden, they come and go in them things and get toasty warm more evenly the downside being that they got no UV but now changing the poly carb top for this clear lumisol they get the best of both worlds. I did mention on the TT a while ago about using small warming area coldframes in direct sun with the back up of a tube heater on a thermostat not be a better way to warm them up than basking lamps. I still think this is the way to go.
See this is where the controversy in the way I keep torts cames in. I have mine in the evil vivarium's, and I don't use UV lights. I supplement through the winter and don't hibernate. They have an outdoor enclosure that they spend the day in during summer. I have very good growth on them both and have never had any problems with any kind of ill health, RNS etc. They are Iberas BTW. I use a basking light and a heat emitter on a stat during the winter.
0.1.0 Hahns Macaw
0.1.0 Pearly Conure
0.2.0 Guinea Pigs
0.2.0 Chickens
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
7.4.0 Budgies
1.1.0 Cockatiels
1.3 Kids
1 Husband
pagan queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 10:18 PM   #22
vikki
Hatched

Do you mind me asking how old your tortoises are? I am a newbie and have read all the info etc but it is always good to get different ideas and perspectives and find out how different methods work - I am a great believer that if it works for you and your tortoises are healthy and happy then that is what matters
vikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 10:56 PM   #23
pagan queen
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikki View Post
Do you mind me asking how old your tortoises are? I am a newbie and have read all the info etc but it is always good to get different ideas and perspectives and find out how different methods work - I am a great believer that if it works for you and your tortoises are healthy and happy then that is what matters
I'm not sure how old Herbie is as he was quite big when we got him we think he may be about 14/15. Cameo is 4 now. I'll post some pictures of them in the picture section.

0.1.0 Hahns Macaw
0.1.0 Pearly Conure
0.2.0 Guinea Pigs
0.2.0 Chickens
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
7.4.0 Budgies
1.1.0 Cockatiels
1.3 Kids
1 Husband
pagan queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 11:02 PM   #24
vikki
Hatched

I also have a Herbie!! Look forward to seeing the pictures I was going to post some of Daisy as well as she is very big for her age and a bit pyramided so looking for advice.
vikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2015, 02:48 PM   #25
Daryn
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagan queen View Post
See this is where the controversy in the way I keep torts cames in. I have mine in the evil vivarium's, and I don't use UV lights. I supplement through the winter and don't hibernate. They have an outdoor enclosure that they spend the day in during summer. I have very good growth on them both and have never had any problems with any kind of ill health, RNS etc. They are Iberas BTW. I use a basking light and a heat emitter on a stat during the winter.
Im not talking to you ever again

I say if it works it works you are only trying to look after them in the best way you know how as we all are, no one can accuse you of neglect thats for sure as Im sure they get the utmost care and love from you and they have had no health problems so your doing something right thats for sure

Im certainly not going to criticise the way you look after them, infact Im intrigued as it goes against what lots of other keepers say is the correct way.

My travel site and forum www.majorcaforum.com
Daryn is offline   Reply With Quote