Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 08-04-2013, 11:04 PM   #21
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

I'm happy to be trash. The hatred for Thatcher in the west of Scotland has to be felt to be believed. We're having a drink and shouting at the telly. Sorry. I'm trash and I'm not ashamed.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:52 AM   #22
Merlin M
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozric Jonathan View Post
I'm happy to be trash. The hatred for Thatcher in the west of Scotland has to be felt to be believed. We're having a drink and shouting at the telly. Sorry. I'm trash and I'm not ashamed.
it is things like that that make me ashamed to be from the west coast sometimes!

What she did she did 30 years ago her death does not change that nor will it have any affect on politics, she died not as a desisive primeminister but as a mother and grandmother and revaling in her death is so disrespectful to them!

She wasn't a saint she wasn't the devil she was just a person!
Merlin M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:56 AM   #23
suttysue
Sub Adult

No matter which fence you sit on politicaly you have to admit that she was a strong Priminister, she put this country of ours first and worked extremely hard to put the GREAT back in Britain.
Sometimes she was misguided in her approach and in with some of her policies, she had to be strong with the likes of Arthur Scargill to deal with. She was instomental in aiding the 'cold war' to come to an end & therebye securing world peace. She deserved & gained huge respect form the super powers of her day. No small feat, by securing such respect she regained the countries respect within world politics.
It sickened me to see people dancing in the streets and dancing on the newpapers that are declaring Maggie is dead. Bet most of them are to young to know or remember her.
What a woman!!! wife & mother
RIP Maggie.
suttysue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:22 AM   #24
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Thatcher did a lot for the rich, there is no doubt about that. She had a huge loathing for the organised working class and used the police as a political weapon in a way that even Blair would never have done.

Even if I was a Tory I would hate Thatcher because she and Riffkind completely destroyed the Tories in Scotland as a party and they will never be elected to anything here ever again. No small feat.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:38 AM   #25
alley cat
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by suttysue View Post
It sickened me to see people dancing in the streets and dancing on the newpapers that are declaring Maggie is dead. Bet most of them are to young to know or remember her.
Sheep follow sheep!
alley cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:42 PM   #26
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Whether she deserves respect or not is a matter of opinion but she will never be forgiven for 'testing' the poll tax on Scotland, that was only one of her many mistakes but ultimately it was the best mistake she ever made.

She divided the UK and at the same time destroyed any chance the Conservatives had of ever being a force in Scotland and that's why we are where we are now, on the verge of splitting up the UK. For anyone who thinks Alex Salmond or any of his crew are responsible then they are wrong, Margaret Thatcher did it. If the poll tax had been tried out on only the black people in the UK it would have been called racism.
Being a strong leader means little, Idi Amin was a strong leader
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:44 PM   #27
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by alley cat View Post
Sheep follow sheep!
From what I see in the media the vast majority of the population is supposedly distressed and mourning. Thats your sheep!
Old 09-04-2013, 12:47 PM   #28
alley cat
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozric Jonathan View Post
From what I see in the media the vast majority of the population is supposedly distressed and mourning. Thats your sheep!
No that is empathy!
alley cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:53 PM   #29
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

I agree with Alan's comments about the scottish political situation. The conservatives destroyed themselves here and there will bo no recovery for them. After Labour fell apart on the UK stage, there was a huge vacuum in scottish politics.

This has been filled by the nationalists who were originally a right wing party but have been selling themselves more recently as being on the left. Since the scottish population cannot get a national government that represents it's views, it makes sense for them to separate.

A lot of Thatcher's legacy is about the destruction of manufacturing industy and the giving away to wealthy friends of valuable public assets. But there are so many other unforseen results.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:59 PM   #30
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by alley cat View Post
No that is empathy!
Thatcher was a very old woman who had done very well in gaining and using power and accumulating vast wealth. She ended her days in the Ritz surrounded by lackeys and servants.

I fail to see what there is to be sad about.

Although it's true to say that her son failed at everything he tried despite the great prevelidges he enjoyed.