Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Turtles and Terrapins > Aquatic, Semi-Aquatic, and Terrestrial Turtles

Old 12-05-2007, 01:40 PM   #1
fourtorts
Incubating

Default help turtle found in road - need id and advice

I am posting for a lady who has rung me as she has found a turtle (i think it is ) in the road and needs help on what it is and how to care for it whilst she is trying to find the owner. I would very much appreciate someone contacting her if you pm me I can give you her email address or phone number.
Hope someone can help heres the pics looks a nice fella....

my doggy daycare web

http://www.littledoggydaycare.co.uk/index.php
fourtorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 01:47 PM   #2
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

Hi Lynne,
Your friend has found a female Red-eared slider

Danny
Old 12-05-2007, 02:28 PM   #3
fourtorts
Incubating

thanx dan... is there anyone in uk who is willing to contact mandy with help on feeding and housing

my doggy daycare web

Old 12-05-2007, 05:48 PM   #4
bruceleetortoise

im quite sure it is a red eared slider aka a terrapin, i am not an expert although i did have a few of these at one time i would happily try and give her some advice.

they should be in a fairly decent sized tank, 10gallons for every inch on shell, and should also have an area they can come out of the water should they want to, also should have a basking light over this area, and also a uv light.
she will be able to buy turtle pellets from any petshop, feed these to the turtle, and fish, meat, prawns, and maybe some veg could also be fed to it also.

pm me should you require anymore info..
Old 12-05-2007, 06:48 PM   #5
fourtorts
Incubating

thanx very much darren.. I'll pass on the info, The lady has put it in her pond this pm, she took the fish out though because I thought it would eat them.
I told her about this site and she is currently awaiting access. She has never had anything to do with turtles and I only know about torts. It is being kept in her conservatory at the moment.

my doggy daycare web

Old 12-05-2007, 08:18 PM   #6
bruceleetortoise

yes chances are it would eat her fish, so if she doesnt want to lose them put them somewere else ot put the turtle somewere else!!

does she plan on keeping the turtle??? if so just go by what i said and read more on the forum she will get lots of info about the upkeep of turtles.

pm me if you need more info.
Old 13-05-2007, 11:41 AM   #7
fourtorts
Incubating

I think she is planning on keeping it if the owner can't be found. She should be registered on shelled warriors by now. Unfortunately i don't know anything about turtles. Although looking at the picture it is about 10" long and has obviously been looked after really well. I am concerned that because we don't know what it has been fed on it may have an adverse effect on it changing it's food.
I feel sorry for the person who has lost it I bet they put it out cos of the good weather and it managed to find an escape route they must be worried as she has had the turtle since Sunday. Luckily she found shelled warriors on the net and contacted me as i live in the same town. She has also contacted the police ,vets, and houses on adjoining roads. this turtle is really lucky as the road it was found on was a busy one.

my doggy daycare web

Old 13-05-2007, 03:14 PM   #8
Fred
Egg

Hi I am new to this so hope this turns out ok. We have decided that we cannot give our found turtle the home which she deserves but not sure what to do next. She has not eaten much since we found her last week and we are getting really concerned, although she is still quite lively.

Any advice would be much appreciated on what to do next or who to contact.
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2007, 03:39 PM   #9
KayMarie
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to KayMarie

Well you could wait and see if anyone comes forward for him/her and then go from there... You could ring the RSPCA or Tortoise Trust and see what they advice or you could re home him/her on here. I'm sure there are plenty of people on here with experience in keeping turtles...

Its up to you...
KayMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2007, 03:56 PM   #10
bruceleetortoise

if you cant keep it, then just do what kaymarie has said, ring the rspca or re-home it, where abouts are you?? if it wasnt far from me i would be willing to look after it, but depends where you are!!