Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 15-08-2011, 09:31 PM   #1
_simon_
Incubating

Default Leopard outdoor enclosure?

Asked elsewhere but should have just asked here really as I've had great advice in the past.

My leopard is almost 10 months old and lives indoors and goes outside with me on nice days and wanders around while I keep a close eye on him.

I would like to make him an outdoor enclosure for him to use on suitable days so that I don't have to worry about him going places he shouldn't or keeping close to him for fear of cats and magpies running off with him.

This is for suitable days only, I'm not intending to move him outside permanently until he's much bigger.

We rent the house we're in but the landlord has given me permission to sort out an outdoor enclosure. He's a good bloke, he's already let me dig a pond. So, we're here for at least another 5 years and I want to build an enclosure that will last him for at least those 5 years in terms of size. I'm thinking 6' wide x 12' long and 3' tall with a secure top. I do have more space available if that's not big enough but I don't want to go overkill if it's not needed as it just means more for me to put right if and when we move out. Ideally if this were our own house I'd look at using all of the garden.

Can anyone tell me how long 6' x 12' might be an ok size for?

Currently he's this size: How is his growth looking by the way? I've seen pictures of leopards with perfectly smooth shells but this is how I bought him and how he's stayed. He's fed on grasses and weeds only. I've had him 2 1/2 months now.

I realise we probably won't have many more nice days for him to actually go out this year but there's nothing stopping me making a start.

Incidentally his indoor enclosure is 5' x 2.5', how much longer is that likely to last him?
Mexican Red Knee Tarantula
Peach Faced & Sea Green Lovebirds
Yemen Chameleon, Blue Tongue Skink, Tokay Gecko
1300L Outdoor Turtle Pond: Yellow Belly Slider, Peninsula Cooter, 2 False Maps
_simon_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2011, 09:47 PM   #2
terrypin
Adult

hi this is the larger of 2 i kept for myself .i hatched them sept 3 years ago.they both live in this enclosure most summer days it is approx 20'x10' at night they are in my heated tortoise room in a 6'x3' open pen.i expect them to be ok for a couple more years but will move the larger one in with my adults once it is about 6" scl regardless.also picture of same tortoise with its mother in the adult enclosure and another picture of it alone.

Last edited by terrypin; 15-08-2011 at 09:51 PM.
terrypin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2011, 09:48 PM   #3
jonesy
Hatched

That size is plenty big enough and should last him for a few years. If you do not want to have it that big 6' x 6' would do for now and then you can extend as he gets bigger if you want. I am glad to hear that you are doing it high as well so that you can get a good range of plants in there. I presume that you will be putting a chicken wire top on it so that your tort is safe from preditors?
Let us see how you get on.
http://www.tortoiselady.co.uk
http://www.hedgehoglady.co.uk
http://www.gullrockfairbourne.co.uk Holiday home
jonesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2011, 09:56 PM   #4
jeannette37
Juvenile

Owww hes so cute

I don't own torts they own me
jeannette37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2011, 09:58 PM   #5
_simon_
Incubating

Thanks for the replies. Yes the top will be meshed. I'm actually thinking of using aviary panels, seems the most secure option for a little tortoise.

Terrypin, what size are your 3 year olds at the moment?

What would be the ideal layout for a leopard enclosure? From what I can see in those pictures they've basically just got grass? I see these fancy enclosures with rocks and earth etc but they all seem to be for Mediterranean tortoises.
Old 15-08-2011, 11:22 PM   #6
Neddy
Sub Adult

Hi Simon,

My Ralph free roams in the garden but we went through the same thing when he was littler.

We used the base of a bed frame for a while as like you we rented.

My Ralph is now 5 and is 9.5" he loves to climb over things and go under things so plants and tunnels are great We use those wooden flexible tunnels that people use for rabbits.

We also bought lots of different seeds from the SW shop and mixed them in with grass seeds, this will be fab for those summer months and maybe a little into the winter too.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Sara
Neddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2011, 11:55 PM   #7
_simon_
Incubating

See, I see people all the time saying leopards grow fast. 9.5" at age 5 years doesn't seem fast at all to me. makes me wonder what rate other species grow at!

I've got some SW seeds growing now but the idea is to sow some directly into the enclosure, perhaps dig out patches of turf and sow them in like that.
Old 16-08-2011, 11:05 AM   #8
Neddy
Sub Adult

I didn't even dig up anything just sprinkled them onto the grass

They aren't fast growers but have growth spurts. My measurements might need to be done again as haven't measured him for ages.
Old 17-08-2011, 06:27 PM   #9
_simon_
Incubating

Trying to think of the cheapest way to build a secure enclosure and wondering what you think of this.

Something like log roll for the sides and then in the centre of the enclosure I'll sink in a post and then basically place a net over the whole thing with the highest point being the pole so it drapes downwards and secure it around the log roll sides with hooks. I've seen log role with spikes on for hammering into the ground.

What do you reckon?
Old 17-08-2011, 07:20 PM   #10
Neddy
Sub Adult

Sounds like a good idea Simon.

We went to Newquay zoo today they had perspex the log roll perspex log roll and they all seems very happy. It was had loads of plants too and a housing area.