Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Shelled Warriors Shop, Classifieds and Rehoming > Missing/Found/Stolen

Old 16-01-2024, 04:34 PM   #1
emma_mcraf
Adult

Default Dumped Deceased Aldabras

This isn’t a nice post but I’m leaving it here so if anyone knows of a potential theft or anyone comes on the forum to look for information on stolen or smuggled aldabras they will see what has happened and be able to call the police dealing with it.
Can’t do a direct link as I’m not on FB but I think the news has broken on every available news source.
I don’t have words for what I think of the people involved that could be published on the forum. I expect they’re similar words to what you feel too.

Devon & Cornwall Police
4 h ·
#LatestNews - we are investigating reports of several deceased giant tortoises being found in the Mid Devon area and are appealing for anyone with any information to come forward.
Enquiries are under way to identify the owners and establish the circumstances that led to the animals being disposed of.
Two bodies were found in a wooded area roughly north-east of Exeter on Monday 8 January and a further five were found nearby on Friday 12 January.
At this time, they are understood to be Aldabra giant tortoises. Police are investigating the circumstances given the unusual type of incident and the protected status of the animals.
Officers are appealing to the public to identify further lines of enquiry that may assist in determining the animals’ origin and assist in the investigation of potential criminal offences.
Inspector Mark Arthurs said: “We are appealing to members of the public for information to try to establish the circumstances around this discovery and to identify those responsible. We would ask that if anyone knows anything, they get in touch.”
“We would also like to hear from anyone who has recently purchased a giant tortoise in the area or knows of anyone who normally has a large number of tortoises but has fewer now.”
If you have any information that could help with enquiries, please contact police via our website or by calling 101 quoting 50240006127.
Alternatively, independent charity Crimestoppers can be contacted anonymously online at its website or by calling freephone 0800 555111.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2024, 11:43 PM   #2
tortydat
Sub Adult

I didn't believe this story when I first heard about it it's just so awful someone must know something.
tortydat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2024, 10:20 AM   #3
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortydat View Post
I didn't believe this story when I first heard about it it's just so awful someone must know something.
I agree Mary they are too big a tortoise for someone not to know:0(

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2024, 03:19 AM   #4
burnt toast
Adult

It's very sad. I remember one being dumped in same area two years ago. Must be connected?
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2024, 01:00 PM   #5
tortydat
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt toast View Post
It's very sad. I remember one being dumped in same area two years ago. Must be connected?
I don't remember hearing about one being dumped before what was the outcome if any?
Old 21-01-2024, 10:50 AM   #6
burnt toast
Adult

https://m.facebook.com/groups/980148...4202937279847/
Old 21-01-2024, 10:52 AM   #7
burnt toast
Adult

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...vjVlT6Uu4N8Sy4

The guardian mentions that first case Mary. I don't think it raised as much suspicion in 2021 as it was an isolated animal.
Old 21-01-2024, 02:19 PM   #8
emma_mcraf
Adult

Thought processes sound to be that they could have been smuggled in to Plymouth. That doesn't explain why they were dumped. Has someone been raising them to sell on and ran out of money or space? Were they unsuccessful in selling them? Did they leave them in the woods and they died of hypothermia in the temperatures we've had (perish the thought) or had they died first? They don't look as if they were malnourished.
So bizarre and Ashclyst Forest is one of those areas that you wouldn't know it was there unless local to the area. It's part of the Killerton NT Estate.
Feel awful for the poor walker who found them.
Really hope the police get to solve this awful tragedy so it doesn't happen again.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2024, 02:28 PM   #9
tortydat
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt toast View Post
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...vjVlT6Uu4N8Sy4

The guardian mentions that first case Mary. I don't think it raised as much suspicion in 2021 as it was an isolated animal.
Thank you for getting back to me Lynn with details of the original case really a bizarre and tragic incident. Not sure if the police will be able to solve it.
Old 21-01-2024, 02:32 PM   #10
tortydat
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma_mcraf View Post
Thought processes sound to be that they could have been smuggled in to Plymouth. That doesn't explain why they were dumped. Has someone been raising them to sell on and ran out of money or space? Were they unsuccessful in selling them? Did they leave them in the woods and they died of hypothermia in the temperatures we've had (perish the thought) or had they died first? They don't look as if they were malnourished.
So bizarre and Ashclyst Forest is one of those areas that you wouldn't know it was there unless local to the area. It's part of the Killerton NT Estate.
Feel awful for the poor walker who found them.
Really hope the police get to solve this awful tragedy so it doesn't happen again.
From the pictures in the press these definitely look like captive bred specimens and as they were all found together would suggest that maybe they had died before being dumped. Very sad .....