Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 30-07-2006, 08:14 PM   #11
sandy
Adult

Lets hope the sunshines early in the morning, they usually head for the sunniest part to warm
up. Fingers crossed for you.
Just to say, one of mine was buried for a week, before I found her. I checked just like you, and I
checked next doors garden more than once. Only to find her dug down about three inchs, because
of the heat. This was last year, and its a lot hotter this year.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2006, 08:39 PM   #12
Monty
Egg

how tall are the borders actually? my 2 yr old is a real houdini. He can climb out of things you would never think he could. I've watched him try and try and eventually they find a way, so persistant.

I really hope he's just dug down and you fond him tomorrow.
Monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2006, 08:57 PM   #13
SCiARA
Incubating

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprillinda
hi

are you going to put a net or something over the enclosure to protect the other one

i am really keeping every thing crossed that he will turn up

linda
when i'm not about there kept in a pen they're only in the large enclosure when i'm in and out of the garden

i've checked the garden but nothing yet

3 female Hermanni Boettgeri 2 5yr & 1 6yr olds
SCiARA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2006, 09:08 PM   #14
Pitcorthie
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry-flash
I have had a thought try watering the enclousure. All my hermanns emerge in the rain and I find the watering can has the same effect!
Have you tried Peters idea it sounds a good one to me

Sharon
Pitcorthie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2006, 10:43 PM   #15
nina
Adult

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you that he turns up tomorrow - I know how worrying this can be. This afternoon for a bit of a change I put Boris inside a little portable logroll pen (about six foot by two or 3 foot) on an area where the grass is patchy and the earth is rock hard from all the dry weather we've been having. In forty minutes he had dug a nice little hole in the hard ground, but the hole was empty and he was nowhere to be seen. I started to panic, but then put my hand in the hole and discovered it was the beginning of an 8" long tunnel that he'd dug about 3" below ground level, but parallel with the ground, and when I put my hand in the tunnel, there he was at the end of it, burrowing away. He is a Horsfield, and they do dig, but maybe your tort has done the same thing.

Is there wire on the inside of your wooden surround, holding it together? They can accomplish amazing feats of climbing if given anything to hold on to (I've put some pictures below). If he did get out, how secure is the rest of your garden (i.e. could he escape into a neighbour's garden? If not, then you will probably find him under a shrub in the garden.
http://russiantortoise.org/escape_artist.htm

Nina
nina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2006, 10:50 PM   #16
Henry-flash
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Henry-flash

I also hope you find him. I have 'lost' my tortoises a few times, only to find them in their enclousres! I did find one of my two yr olds about 4 inces up the side of my enclousure yesterday. Luckily when they get to the top they get stcuk in the netting and just sit there until I move them, thankfully this doesnt happen often. This is the reason I think yours may have climbed out as my 2 yr odl is capable of climbing over 4 inches which is more than twice his length.

The North West Tortoise Group
Henry-flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2006, 11:19 AM   #17
owen-morris
Egg

hi hope he is found soon safe and sound, but I have noticed some replies are sounding like hermanns are left out 24/7 like the one where it was not for a week, my outside enclosure is meshed over the top 100% so can my hermanns be left out all day even when its cloudy as ive no heating or uv in the enclosure.

owen-morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2006, 11:22 AM   #18
Henry-flash
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Henry-flash

In this weather at this time of the year all my torotrises stay out in their enclousre 24/7. They choose wheter they want to go into their shelter, but tey tend to prefer to sleep under a bush. I have no heat or Uv in my enclousre either

The North West Tortoise Group
Henry-flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2006, 11:23 AM   #19
SCiARA
Incubating

I hosed down the area this morning and still no luck, I’ll have another good look around all possible hide's after work.
My wife's knocking up some leaflets for neighbors on the (smallest of) chance he's been dropped in there gardens - you never know.

3 female Hermanni Boettgeri 2 5yr & 1 6yr olds
SCiARA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2006, 11:26 AM   #20
Leila
Egg

Put posters up down your street. That's how we got Tank back. He managed to dig under two fences (one being concrete based and quite deep into the ground) to be found in a neighbours garden. He was fine and after 3 weeks he was brought back to us all thanks to the posters we had put up in our cars. Chances are he is still in your garden but just in case he isn't put lots of posters up

Hope you find him. I know exactly how you feel.

Good luck
Leila is offline   Reply With Quote