Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 09-07-2006, 08:39 PM   #11
owen-morris
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah
Have you posted your housing pictures in the phot competition?
hi is this to me

Yes post your pictures in the competition thread!!!!
owen-morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 08:48 PM   #12
owen-morris
Egg

Hi to all and thanks for all comments. Ive decided im not going to hibernate Sherman & Rocket this year as im still very new to keeping tortoises and have read so much conflicting advice its hurting my eyes. I have Sherman that is 5 and Rocket who is 3 years old.I am planning on building my experience and starting a fresh and will be hibernating them for winter 2007 when I have got to know them as im still learning about each one individually.All I want is what is best for my torts.

Owen
Old 09-07-2006, 10:04 PM   #13
Eire_Ade
Super Moderator
Adult

Hi Owen,

Really its too soon to be making any real hard decisions not to hibernate for 2006, especially if you hav had them a while.

Its a natural thing for them to do and think their bodies and metabolism must need the break as this is how they have evolved into the marvelous creatures that they are.

I haven't hibertated mine yet, I hadn't had Dug long last year before hiberantion time so she skipped last year but my babies which are only 8 months old which i have had since Feb 06, will subject to jacksons ratio and being ok will have some kind of hibernation this year along with my golden greek if she is ok to hibernate.

Ade

My Tortoises :- Dug (Testudo Graeca Ibera Terrestris (Syrian), Penny, JJ (JennyJack), Buttons and Gem (Testudo Graeca Ibera)
Eire_Ade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 10:13 PM   #14
owen-morris
Egg

hi ive only had my torts about 5 weeks so am sticking with my decision until I am more confident and feel comfortable to hibernate them with no problems.
thanks again for any advice.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:33 PM   #15
Eire_Ade
Super Moderator
Adult

I now understand Owen.

Like i said I made the same decision last year with Dug as I didn't know her that well either.

Hope your torts are settling in ok. They are really great amazing creatures.

Ade

My Tortoises :- Dug (Testudo Graeca Ibera Terrestris (Syrian), Penny, JJ (JennyJack), Buttons and Gem (Testudo Graeca Ibera)
Eire_Ade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 10:57 AM   #16
Joanne
Egg

I couldn't hibernate my Hermann's last year as she was recovering from an illness and was a little too under weight to be induced safely. It is her first hibernation this year as she is only 18 months old so she won't be doing the full sleeping beauty routine but I'm hoping for a January and February snooze. Not looking forward to it but am prepared as I know how natural this is for her. Will probably post lots of pleas for help and advice when the time comes. In a panic thinking about it! I deal with animals daily but when it's your own, it becomes a different story.

Joanne
Joanne is offline   Reply With Quote