Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Edible Weeds, Diet & Suppliments

Old 30-06-2006, 08:16 PM   #1
Tomatillo
Egg

Default Opuntia cacti growers

Hi there
I was wondering if the tort keepers who grow opuntia cacti for their tortoises could give me some advice about how I go about propagating my plants? I bought four of them earlier in the Spring and they have two pads each with a small third pad just beginning to bud and are about 4 inches tall . Also roughly how long does it take to get decent sized plants to start harvesting from ?. Thanks
Old 01-07-2006, 11:24 AM   #2
Puncture.uk
Egg

Hi,

Opuntia is pretty easy to grow... I have been colleting / growing cacti for about 20 years now and have never taken it too seriously - my plants just seem to do well! Put your plants on a sunny windowsill (South facing if you can) but if it is really fierce sunshine you might consider putting them outside for the day (might scorch the plants if it is too hot throught he glass) I only every water my cacti maybe once or twice every week.. if you can find a aerosol top (such as a Lynx can or something) you can use that as a guide to how much water to give (One top-full per plant per week) Obviously this will change depending on the size of plant but would be okay for the O. Microdasys plant pictured. If you have a pencil or something handy it may be a good idea just to 'prick' the soil top-layer prior to watering, this helps the water escape below quickly and avoids it evaporating in hot conditions.
I've pictured two types of Opuntia, they are both edible but I would steer well clear of the Opuntia Microdasys varieties - They look nice but they have 'hairs' instead of spines. These are irritant and a real pain to try and get out your hand (I'm talking hours / days, seriously!) they come off freely if touched and blow about the place. Although they look nicer (I think) I would avoid these and go for the other more traditional-spined types (pictured)
If feeding gets confusing you could always buy a little cactus-feeding drip device (about a £1) and just use it in the Summer (pref the start / late spring) and then just forget about it.
Most places sell cactus compost and it may be an idea to re-pot your plant asap as this does help speed up growth rates, just go for the next size up.
Just an idea.... if you have bought a few plants consider writing down their species and the date you bought them. If you have two of the same then put them in two suitable locations and see which one does the best / grows the fastest... you will have then determined your best growing location! You may even want to experiment by taking pad cuttings and growing your own / reproducing them?

In short, the answer to your 'how long' question is that it really does depends on providing the right care levels. If you really want to get into it to provide an all year round supply you might consider buying some plant lights - Just be careful not to give people the wrong idea of what you're growing though!! lol

I've been told that torts do not mind the spines but I choose to take them off (using tweezers) They are expensive pets to take short-cuts with!

Also, all Opuntia are edible but remember that NOT ALL cacti / succulants are - needless to say, check first!

Sam
Puncture.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 11:29 AM   #3
veebee
Sub Adult

Oh wow Puncture you are an expert, I know where to come in furture!! lol

Well done real good advice

Vivienne
veebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 12:05 PM   #4
Tomatillo
Egg

Thanks very much Puncture -thats great information.You certainly know your cacti. I think my plants resemble the second picture more.The variety I have is Opuntia Elata and was recommended especially suitable for feeding to tortoises.I would like to try and get as many plants growing from my original four plants as I can as I do have a number of torts and some babies on the way too.If I wanted to start another plant growing do I tear off a pad/cut off a pad and place in water or straight into soil .Will it just grow roots in time ? Thanks for your time in answering my qery -much appreciated.
Kind Regards
Laura(Tomatillo)
Old 01-07-2006, 01:19 PM   #5
Puncture.uk
Egg

Cheers both, I forgot to mention though... as far as feeding / pest control goes... just remember to try and stay 'natural' as the plant will end up being fed to your torts at some point. As long as you keep an eye on your plants now and again things should never get too bad anyway.
Puncture.uk is offline   Reply With Quote