Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 24-09-2015, 06:40 PM   #1
Hollie
Egg

Red face Horsefield not eating

Hi guys,
Just wanted to get your views on my horsefield tortoise Tamsin. I've had her 3 years in a tortoise table with seperate basking and UV lights.

However, she hasn't been her usual self for a couple of months now we have noticed. In the way of not eating, literally turning away from hand feeding sometimes, and sleeping all of the time. Not really moving, and needs encouragement in waking. She is currently under going vets treatments, but I'm just wanting your views really.
I have noticed similar posts regarding this around this time of year, but thus has been going on for a while now. It's just not like her.

Basking temp 33.9, shade 19.2. Have been bathing her every other day.

Your views would be greatly received.

Thank you
Hollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 09:51 AM   #2
CherryBrandy
Adult

Hollie, just check her weight, over a period if it goes down is usually a good indicator of ill health. I think you will find it a little for the norm for the season though despite you overwintering her and its been a while. My Horsfields haven't fed since August really (outside) even though temps were ok. And they are gannets as you know. Personally, I think 33.9 is a little on the high side. I tend to keep any overwinterers or smaller ones at around 27 - 29, that way they seem to be a lot more active. But monitor. In my experience my Horsfields never took to hot temps regardless and would often dig if too hot. They are quite tuff little things and at that temp your humidity would need to be up also, 55pc I would say, though mine are 40pc but that's borderline. likely dehydration could occur more frequently at 33.9, though I see you do bath but prevention is better. I'm sure the vet will know and sure they will alleviate any worries and rule out any concerns either way, worms etc CB
Old 25-09-2015, 03:34 PM   #3
yuna1971
Adult

I actually think that 33 degrees isn't too bad for a basking temp. If torty is too warm he'll dig or move to the side or out of it completely. I think he just might be sending Autumn/winter coming. Days are getting shorter...and light quality can be dull on non-sunny days. You're doing the right thing with the bathing. It could turn around...they can do this not eating thing (I forget the technical name for it) then suddenly start again. Keep offering food. Maybe the enclosure is a little dark?? If so a strip light with minimal uv such as a 5% repti glo may help. xx

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 03:43 PM   #4
yuna1971
Adult

This is Lily's set up. Along the back horizontal I fixed a 5% repti glo strip which is mainly for uva and light quality for winter/Autumn times. The heat is from the Arcadia D3 160w (which isn't as hot as you might think, more like a 120w Mega Ray in terms of warmth), and angled in I have a 100w ceramic on a thermostat which kicks in if the temp needs it. I find Lily will often just want basic warmth away from the combined bulb. He will then move off centre as and when he requires his main uv + heat.
Just thought it might help if I explained the strip thing xx

Lily's Movie.
Old 25-09-2015, 03:53 PM   #5
CherryBrandy
Adult

yes Rach, I don't disagree, they always have a choice don't they! I love your set up. Does Lily eat the spider plants? mine just won't touch them which is maddening when they are so easy to grow ! CB
Old 25-09-2015, 04:55 PM   #6
yuna1971
Adult

No, he just likes to hide amongst them, Cher xx

Lily's Movie.
Old 25-09-2015, 11:49 PM   #7
Hollie
Egg

Hi, thank you for the reply. Much appreciated .

I think I'm going to change the bulb from a 60w to a 40w as she does dig a lot so think it may be the temp, however, with the colder weather coming, I'll have to monitor it. She is in a tort table so lots of air is moved around, and not in a dark room.

The vet has ruled out worms which is good, but still not really eating compared to what she was previously.

Thanks again

Hollie
Hollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2015, 12:46 AM   #8
yuna1971
Adult

Just want to suggest to double check your temps, Hollie. Are you using an infrared thermometer to read them - or one of the round dial face ones.
The digital infrared ones are the ones to use for accuracy. I can post a link to suggestions of where to buy and type if you need them.
The round dial face ones are not accurate and can be difficult to read and easily can be misread.
The reason I ask this is 60w does not seem like a bulb that would give 33 degrees reading at basking spot. It's quite a low wattage bulb you have there so this is why I'm just making sure the temp reading is right. I think switching down should be treated with caution as it will get colder soon. Let us know about how your measuring the temps xx

Lily's Movie.
Old 26-09-2015, 01:05 AM   #9
Splinter
Egg

I think it's better to adjust the height of the bulb than changing it for a lower watt one?

Apparently a higher watt bulb from a greater distance, is better for a tort than a lower watt closer to them.
Splinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2015, 08:20 AM   #10
Catwoman63
Adult

I agree with splinter, don't change to a lower watt it won't give out enough heat x

0.3.0 - T Horsfieldii (Xena, Zelda & Lilly)
2.2.0 - TG Terrestris (Zeus, Astreus / Zagreus & Alexia)
1.2.0 - Zebra Finches (Gunner / Bonnie & May)
0.1.0 - SBT (Hazel)
1.0.0 - FBD (Ted)
Catwoman63 is offline   Reply With Quote