Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 04-06-2014, 10:02 AM   #21
becciwales
Adult

LonesomeGeorge, please say you've arranged a vets appointment for Flo, I'd have gone last night, there has to be a vet on call out of hours. Any vet can give pain relief, antibiotics and thoroughly clean the wounds properly, at least to tide her over until a tort vet can be seen.

1:2:0 Testudo Hermanni Boettgeri -
Darwin, Galileo, and Einstein.

Archimedes (THB) RIP June, 2018
becciwales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:04 AM   #22
emma_mcraf
Adult

How is Flo today? Most vets would see her as a matter of urgency if you say on the phone that she has been bitten by a dog.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 12:10 PM   #23
Suze65
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonesomeGeorge View Post
Thank you Lynne I'm just hoping and praying everything will be alright-fingers crossed. She seems to have taken longer to get to sleep tonight, and was still digging when the lights had gone off on timer. I've decided that I will give her a salt water bath in the morning, and see how she is. Will keep you all updated on how she's doing in the next few weeks.
If I had been bitten by a dog and had no pain relief I would take longer to get to sleep !

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 01:38 PM   #24
cherylahutch
Adult

Any news on flo this morning? Hope she is doing ok x
Old 04-06-2014, 03:03 PM   #25
LonesomeGeorge
Hatched

Hello all,

Flo is doing brilliant. She woke up this morning like usual. She has had two warm baths today, and then I have just cleaned her over with a mild salt solution. She has eaten, pooped and weed normally. Her eyes are bright, nares are open and clear. Still inquisitive like she always is. So showing great signs at the moment, however it is early days.

Last edited by LonesomeGeorge; 04-06-2014 at 03:51 PM.
LonesomeGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 03:07 PM   #26
becciwales
Adult

I'm glad Flo seems to be doing well.

Have you been to see a vet or made an appointment yet? Are the wounds looking clean? Bleeding still?

Fingers crossed she will be fine, I just hope she's not in any pain, the shock and "putting on a brave face" that they do could be masking the discomfort. xx

1:2:0 Testudo Hermanni Boettgeri -
Darwin, Galileo, and Einstein.

Archimedes (THB) RIP June, 2018
becciwales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 03:22 PM   #27
Pussygalore
Adult

lets just hope that you've made the right choice in not bothering with a vet, to be honest 99% of the rest of us would have done, personally I'd rather you had not posted as all's its done, at least for me, is to make me worry about an animal that could be in pain and not getting any help!.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 03:53 PM   #28
Mrs Frog
Adult

Please Take Flo to be checked by the vet,any vet if you cannot find a reptile vet,who can examine her,give painkillers,clean out and examine the wounds,A tortoise has a very slow metabolism and she really could be suffering,infection could spread and it may be several weeks before she gets a pink undershell and blood poisoning which could cause a slow and painful death.I am trying not to be dramatic but I need to make you see that this is best for her.You have posted on here for help and advice and we have all told you to take her,please listen
Mrs Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 04:01 PM   #29
pagan queen
Adult

Just a thought, if a dog or cat were bitten like this and the owner did nothing they could be fined or sent to prison. It's your duty as carer of this animal to take it to a vet even if it's an RSPCA vet, you are duty bound to get it seen or hand it over to people who will take care of it.
0.1.0 Hahns Macaw
0.1.0 Pearly Conure
0.2.0 Guinea Pigs
0.2.0 Chickens
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
7.4.0 Budgies
1.1.0 Cockatiels
1.3 Kids
1 Husband
pagan queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 04:05 PM   #30
Suze65
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pussygalore View Post
lets just hope that you've made the right choice in not bothering with a vet, to be honest 99% of the rest of us would have done, personally I'd rather you had not posted as all's its done, at least for me, is to make me worry about an animal that could be in pain and not getting any help!.
I agree, like I've said if you or I had a dog bite going through bone , we would need pain killers, and most probably antibiotics.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote