Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 09-10-2011, 03:05 PM   #21
Evie
Sub Adult

Hope it goes well tomorrow.
Evie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 03:56 PM   #22
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

The only other thing that would spring to mind apart from what has been said, is toxic poisoning, this as you know can be ruled out sorta with the tort's enviroment, no way a damaged slug ect from slug pellet's from neighbour's ect ect.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:19 PM   #23
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Thanks Paul. I don't know of the tort eating anything toxic but its not impossible. Will see what the vet says. The eyes are incredibly dull but the tort is still eating and has periods of activity. Still no urates, maybe not producing any.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:36 PM   #24
EJ
Adult

How long have you had the tortoise? What was the origin? what is the tongue color?
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:43 PM   #25
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Hi Ed. I have had it for five years and it was sold to me as a CB tort. Although I later found the seller has a dodgy reputation and its been said he sold wc animals.. Think tongue is pink but when I just went to look she wouldn't oblige. This tortoise has been slow to grow.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:08 AM   #26
SeeShell
Adult

How did you get on at the vets Jonathan? Hoping for good news.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:08 PM   #27
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Hi folks. It's not really good news -we don't really know what is wrong. The vets took blood for tests. The tortoise has lost quite a bit of weight. I decidde not to leave her there at the small animal hospital. We are now tube feeding a solution of Emeraid which has some electrolytes, glucose and other stuff. The vet can do their diagnostics from the test results at this point.

She has stabilised I think but to be honest it's not a great outlook. She possibly has some underlying problems with kidney / liver function and the eye problem could be deposits. The vet gave me ointment for the eye.

She is probably dehydrated as well. This tortoise appeared to be doing well when she was outside in the coldframe but I could have been missing vital signs of illness then. When I brought her indoors I noticed problems within 48 hours but maybe the bringing in was a stressor.

We didn;t get Kevin Eatwell but we did get a very good female Italian vet. She wasn't optimistic about the tests telling us very much. I think its a question of trying to keep the tortoise alive and hopefully building her up a bit. If that is achieved then I might get to find out what is causing the problems but I might not.

She is still eating some leaves which is good I suppose.

This tortoise came from a source that I stopped using after hearing various things about him.

The tongue is pinkish but the inside of the mouth is pale.

I think there is a chance she will survive but probably not a very good one. I'll do everything possible at this point.

In the meantime its 24/7 worry and fussing.

Thanks to all who have asked.

Last edited by Ozric Jonathan; 11-10-2011 at 12:12 PM.
Ozric Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:48 PM   #28
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

I'm sorry that you didn't have more positive news Jonathan, it must be very frustrating to not get an actual diagnosis

I do feel though that if anyone can give her a fighting chance then it would be you.

Sending good vibes and positive thoughts, you never know, she may just surprise you yet
Old 11-10-2011, 12:51 PM   #29
EJ
Adult

The tongue is the important thing. The mouth is usually white.

Has the vet considered testing or treating for entameoba? That is one protozoa that can be present... attacks the internal organs in general... and does not always shed any external evidence. The only way to test for the protozoa properly is via biopsy.

It is cheaper, easier and safer to agressivly treat for the protozoa as a precaution.

Antibiotics should be used for any secondary infection.

I brought back a Chaco tortoise that was in similar shape... cost me a small fortune but I still have it 3 years later and it is growing like a weed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozric Jonathan View Post
Hi folks. It's not really good news -we don't really know what is wrong. The vets took blood for tests. The tortoise has lost quite a bit of weight. I decidde not to leave her there at the small animal hospital. We are now tube feeding a solution of Emeraid which has some electrolytes, glucose and other stuff. The vet can do their diagnostics from the test results at this point.

She has stabilised I think but to be honest it's not a great outlook. She possibly has some underlying problems with kidney / liver function and the eye problem could be deposits. The vet gave me ointment for the eye.

She is probably dehydrated as well. This tortoise appeared to be doing well when she was outside in the coldframe but I could have been missing vital signs of illness then. When I brought her indoors I noticed problems within 48 hours but maybe the bringing in was a stressor.

We didn;t get Kevin Eatwell but we did get a very good female Italian vet. She wasn't optimistic about the tests telling us very much. I think its a question of trying to keep the tortoise alive and hopefully building her up a bit. If that is achieved then I might get to find out what is causing the problems but I might not.

She is still eating some leaves which is good I suppose.

This tortoise came from a source that I stopped using after hearing various things about him.

The tongue is pinkish but the inside of the mouth is pale.

I think there is a chance she will survive but probably not a very good one. I'll do everything possible at this point.

In the meantime its 24/7 worry and fussing.

Thanks to all who have asked.
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:58 PM   #30
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Thanks EJ i will discuss this with the vet as soon as possible.

I was on chat last night and Chris was saying that protozoa might have a lot to do with this tortoise's problems.

The vet wants a poo sample to get tested but the tortoise isn't producing much this past week.