Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Ask The Experts > Identification/Sexing.

Old 26-12-2010, 05:12 PM   #1
AdamK
Egg

Default Curious of what type he is and weather is home is healthy?

AdamK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2010, 10:56 PM   #2
EquestrianBabe
Adult

Send a message via MSN to EquestrianBabe

Looks like maybe a Greek tortie, not sure, look up Greek Tortoise Hatchling, and see if he looks any similar, very cute. Looks to be in good condition. Nice Phone
Old 26-12-2010, 11:47 PM   #3
TortBabe
Adult

What a beautiful little tort If you want him I'd, post close up pics of him on the sexing/id thread. Be sure to add a picture of his underside
Vivs are not generally recommended for tortoises, a tortoise table would be much better for him, with sterilised topsoil. Have a look on the housing forum for ideas. He is lovely
Old 27-12-2010, 07:37 AM   #4
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

the 2 that are not showing in the first post

Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2010, 07:53 AM   #5
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

I take it you have a basking bulb in there even though I can't see it. It would depend where that bulb is but I see the temperature is at 32 or 33c which would be fine but as the thermometer is halfway up the wall it can't give a good reading. wherever the basking bulb is, the temperature needs to be taken directly below it on the ground. 33c on the ground below the bulb would be fine. the other end of the housing needs to be much cooler or the tort will dehydrate. It needs to be bathed daily as well, sat in warm (but not hot) water for around 15 minutes.

I'm not sure if the UVB bulb you have there may be too high, that would depend on the height of the vivarium.

EDIT> I see the basking lamp now, the same applies though, temperature taken on the soil directly below the bulb, to be precise, it should be the height of the highest point of the animal so if you get tit o 32c on the ground it would be about 33c on the tort's back or head.

Have you just got it? It should have an A10 certificate saying what it is (unless it's a sulcata or other non mediterranean type). It would be illegal for the seller not to give you the certificate if one was required

Last edited by Alan1; 27-12-2010 at 08:02 AM.
Old 27-12-2010, 09:10 PM   #6
yuna1971
Adult

Adam, I agree totally with what Alan has said.

Take note of what Al says about the height of the lights, including the UV light. And also how to measure your temperatures.
I would go for a substrate of sand/topsoil - or just normal sterilised topsoil. These can be bought from Wickes, B & Q etc. It has to be sterilised. IF its sand/soil mix then perhaps go for 70%soil and 30% sand.
I will be honest if thats ok. I just think if you are going to keep him in a viv (first year or so probably fine) - then you will need it bigger IMO to be able to get the hot end/cool end gradient. You might struggle with something with your current size. It probably will be warm all over in there.
You also will need to get a digital thermometer, or even 2. This then will give you accurate readings. One probe on one thermometer at the cool end to give you your reading...and one at the warm end for that reading. Or there could be a thermometer with 2 probes not sure. Alternatively you can look into an infrared thermometer. The round mechanical type ones are not too accurate, and can be difficult to read xx

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2010, 09:12 PM   #7
yuna1971
Adult

I would go for a peice of slate for the feeding area rather than a dish. This will help keep his beak trim. Cuttlefish bone also keeps their beak trim, and also is a great source of calcium. He may or may not take to cuttlefish though...at this stage. xx

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2010, 07:57 AM   #8
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

I don't think cauliflower is great food, it may even be harmful, I'm not really sure. take a look in the edible weeds / diets section.

Are you looking at the plastic tupperware type water dish Rach? There's a brown food dish in there too and they are really hard just like a bit of stone. I have them and put them on top of a slate so that anything that goes over the edges are still on a hard surface.

Anyone know what this tort is then?
Old 28-12-2010, 08:12 AM   #9
NATURALIS
Adult

looks like a Ibera spur-thighed
NATURALIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2010, 09:19 AM   #10
ziggy's owner
Adult

I think tgi

2.0.0 spur thighs