Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 08-11-2019, 09:51 AM   #1
aerofine
Incubating

Default First Horsfield hibernation

We have an approx 2 year old Horsfield who we have had a year and we don’t think he’s hibernated before. We plan to do a three week windown - no food then no lights - then hibernate for 3-4 weeks from 4 Jan.

He weighs 158g and is 90mm in width and length and 60mm in height. But according to the McIntyre ratio he is 120g too light.

He is eating, eyes and nose clear, no issues. He lives in an open top box with a megaray and spent most summer outside in a pen.

Does his hibernation plan sound ok?
Old 08-11-2019, 06:00 PM   #2
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

I've long since forgotten about ratios etc but if he is in fact 120g too light then maybe it would be better to not hibernate this year. Were you going to do it in a fridge or some other method?
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 09:02 PM   #3
aerofine
Incubating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan1 View Post
I've long since forgotten about ratios etc but if he is in fact 120g too light then maybe it would be better to not hibernate this year. Were you going to do it in a fridge or some other method?
In the fridge. He eats well, and is healthy. He’s grown loads since we got him last December.
Old 08-11-2019, 09:12 PM   #4
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerofine View Post
In the fridge. He eats well, and is healthy. He’s grown loads since we got him last December.
Size is not the thing to go by, but how they are eating etc since you have had the tortoise. Guides are just than a guide its not set in stone. I have not used a guide for my tortoises in over 20yrs. This includes hatchlings. As long as they are eating etc well, and have a dry nose and clear bright eyes, then they get hibernated.
Horsfields need a hibernation more than most of the other hibernating species. As most are grown far too fast (when you can see white lines around each scute) and need to hibernate. In the wild they hibernate up to six months of the year:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 02:36 PM   #5
CherryBrandy
Adult

Love Horsfields, such characters. Mine are similar sizes but I keep them outside and they are asleep now naturally outside. I hibernated since they were born so if I equate that to yours them your plan is a good one but if they are indoors central heating will dry them out also despite turning the lights off - so make sure you bathe. I am wondering when their last meal was as you need to set your plan against that otherwise 4 weeks is too long without lights if not hibernating til later and haven't fed / food passed through. But make sure bathe them and put them somewhere at least 5 or 6 degrees for around two, maybe three months and check monthly -even weight them again to check for any excretion / weight loss. Hope helps. I fridge that's fine but check on them. Personally I think tortoises in hibernation lets them recharge their batteries. Once chemical reactions starts on waking them don't rehibernate them again unless exceptional circumstance.

Tags
hibernation, horsfield