Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 27-12-2020, 12:30 PM   #1
jimothy
Egg

Default Acceptable weight loss in hibernation

So I am hibernating my two year old iberas for the first time this year. I have seen some conflicting information about acceptable weight loss during hibernation so I'm not totally sure if they are ok. They have been down for 2 weeks.

These are the weekly weigh ins:

start -- week1 -- week2
D: 348 -- 340 -- 333 (4.3% loss)
P: 273 -- 261 -- 254 (7% loss)

They otherwise look fine, opened their eyes when I handled them. During the first week the weather was a bit warm so the temperature in the box was around 10 for a few days, but has now settled to a steady 7-9 degrees during the second week.

Is it ok to keep them hibernating for another two weeks (my original plan)? Is this weight loss too much and should I get them up soon?
jimothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2020, 03:31 PM   #2
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimothy View Post
So I am hibernating my two year old iberas for the first time this year. I have seen some conflicting information about acceptable weight loss during hibernation so I'm not totally sure if they are ok. They have been down for 2 weeks.

These are the weekly weigh ins:

start -- week1 -- week2
D: 348 -- 340 -- 333 (4.3% loss)
P: 273 -- 261 -- 254 (7% loss)

They otherwise look fine, opened their eyes when I handled them. During the first week the weather was a bit warm so the temperature in the box was around 10 for a few days, but has now settled to a steady 7-9 degrees during the second week.

Is it ok to keep them hibernating for another two weeks (my original plan)? Is this weight loss too much and should I get them up soon?
Its a 10% weight loss over the whole of the hibernation. It might be they need to be colder, if they open their eyes when handling, they are not fully down. When I used to weigh mine they never had their eyes open. The temps really need to be lower at around 5c. The weather so far this Winter has not really been cold. Although the next week looks like temps will be dropping.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2020, 05:55 PM   #3
jimothy
Egg

Thanks - that's roughly what I thought I should do.

Temps in the store room and in the box have dropped to around 6 and it is 1-2 degrees outdoors so I think they will do better this week.
jimothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2020, 10:33 PM   #4
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimothy View Post
Thanks - that's roughly what I thought I should do.

Temps in the store room and in the box have dropped to around 6 and it is 1-2 degrees outdoors so I think they will do better this week.
At anytime you are not happy with them (using your head not your heart) then just get them up. Hibernation is a learning curve for all:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote