Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > Other Animals

Old 02-06-2013, 02:17 PM   #11
shay
Egg

Unless you have a run constantly attached to the hutch, 3ft really isn't big enough. Despite their name, mini (and dwarf) lops do get quite large (around 4-6lbs). You may be better getting a Netherland Dwarf like Emma above, they're a very sweet, little rabbit and Emma's has got to a very grand age!

Also, you would need to go down the private breeder route as it's very unlikely a rescue will allow you to adopt with that size of hutch. You would then be looking at approx. £100 for neuter / spay and approx. £30-£60 for their injections. Although it may well be cheaper for you, vets prices seem to vary wildly and I seem to get the short straw down here!!

As with all animals, the bigger their accommodation the better.

Rabbits do much better in cooler weather as their coats are quite thick. Hutch covers can be bought for foul weather which protect against wind and rain but still allow air circulation. Some people use tarpaulin over their runs to protect against the rain too.

I have a roof over my enclosure but use clear plastic bought from The Range as water-proof covers for the wire mesh. In the winter I also peg up fleece blankets bought from Asda to try to prevent the chill getting in at night.

In freezing conditions I have snugglesafes which heat in the microwave and are supposed to give 10hours heat (they don't). Snugglesafes are cheaper on Amazon than Pets at Home. But two rabbits can keep each other warm! (sorry, I'm going to push for the 2 rabbit scenario!!)

Last edited by shay; 02-06-2013 at 02:19 PM.
shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:22 PM   #12
shay
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLINTUS View Post
You really do need two bunnies or more. When Bobby's lifelong companion, his sister died we thought he would pass off as he deteoriated rapidly until we got Bracken. The pen attached to the hutch should have a cover on it, no rabbit should be in a hutch 24/7. You could get away with a 5ft hutch for a pair of mini lops-my guys are mini, or at least meant to be- as long as they have a pen attached. I really wouldn't leave a hutch outside in the open, the rabbits will not like it and it will die quickly-believe me, I speak from personal experience! Try and construct like a shelter over the hutch and pen. Before moving my pair to the shed we used to have them in the garage-don't worry we didn't keep any cars or that sought in there- with a hutch and pen attached. Get a rescue one please, there are so many that need homes. They aren't that cold tolerant and each rabbit will have their own preferences. However as long as it's not frosted over, very heavy rain or very hot I will put them outside.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks two are better than one!! I didn't want to come across as militant
Old 02-06-2013, 02:32 PM   #13
FLINTUS
Juvenile

There is lots of evidence to suggest this-and most recues also won't rehome a rabbit without being with another rabbit. My portable pen is only 4 by 4 but it is needed for when they wreck the grass in the big pen. They make good work of wrecking 16ft sq of grass a day. They are out now in the big pen and must have eaten 100ft sq of grass in the last 2 days.
1.2 Serrated/Forest Hingebacks
Fish
Snails-Achatina Fulica 'Jadatzi', Limicolaria Flammea, Limicolaria Numidica, Archachatina marginata suturalis,
Achatina Tincta

Jadatzi GALS for sale:
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...799#post610799
FLINTUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:08 PM   #14
cherylahutch
Adult

Just got back from picking up the hutch it looks to be nearer 4 foot took a bit of getting in the car lol not looked properly but looks to have a ramp and pen with it. Will investigate later on and update :0)
Old 02-06-2013, 04:20 PM   #15
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by shay View Post
In freezing conditions I have snugglesafes which heat in the microwave and are supposed to give 10hours heat (they don't). Snugglesafes are cheaper on Amazon than Pets at Home. But two rabbits can keep each other warm! (sorry, I'm going to push for the 2 rabbit scenario!!)
Snugglesafes are brilliant! I use them in the winter for the animals and they even go under the roosting bars in the chicken house when it's well below 0 degrees at night. They often reduce the price on Amazon and I picked mine up for £12.50 each.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:33 PM   #16
cherylahutch
Adult

The hutch is just under 4 foot and has a low metal pen with it, don't think it will be ok on it's own but might be good for inside a taller chicken wire fence (to keep dog out) going to have to plan it out well before getting any bunnies
Old 03-06-2013, 08:59 PM   #17
cherylahutch
Adult

Well I'm getting my rabbit tomorrow I emailed a friend who is on the rabbit council (always makes me think of them sitting round with bunny ears and tails lol) anyway one of the other members breeds show rabbits and is bringing me a Netherland dwarf. She lives quite away away from me but is coming near tomorrow so thought we would go for it :0) very excited its just a baby and grey coloured just needs a name now.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:38 PM   #18
emma_mcraf
Adult

You can't go wrong with a Netherlands Dwarf Cheryl. They are just gorgeous!
Do you know if it's a male or female?

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:45 PM   #19
cherylahutch
Adult

It's a baby boy apparently they make better pets with children around than the mini lops the breeder said I could have either but she said they were really friendly and docile and liked cuddles.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:46 PM   #20
shay
Egg

Good luck with your new rabbit and I hope you have everything in place for his/her arrival.

Make sure you get a decent amount of handover food that the rabbit is used to. Changing their diet too quickly, or feeding them foods they aren't used to can be dangerous. Rabbit digestive systems are very sensitive and baby buns are particularly at risk. Just remember, hay, hay, and hay again is the best thing for rabbits and helps keep their teeth in check. A horse-quality bale of hay is more cost effective and can be used for food as well as litter trays/bedding.

Just to say again, chicken wire is not strong enough to keep foxes/predators out nor rabbits in their enclosure.

Check out the RWAF website, they have quite a few leaflets that can be downloaded that are a great source of info, from health, diet, behaviour to choosing a good vet. http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resou...=leaflets.html