Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > Other Animals

Old 01-06-2013, 11:08 PM   #1
cherylahutch
Adult

Default Anyone got a rabbit?

I really want a rabbit it's my birthday in July and I'm going to get one then. I've found a hutch on a local buy and sell sight and am going to get a run etc anyone got any advice on how to keep them or a good place to look for advice.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:21 AM   #2
shay
Egg

Smile

Hi Cheryl

I have 2 rabbits so can give a little advice! Also check out Rabbit Rehome forum and RWAF for a lot of very knowledgeable advice. The forum layout for Rabbit Rehome is very similar to SW. I don't often post on the forum but 'lurk', same for SW really

Your hutch should ideally be a minimum of 6ft, and 24hour access to a run is ideal too. My two have a 6ft x 9ft enclosure with roof, 2 hutches with the doors removed and 24hour access to 'free-range'.

Please try to rescue/adopt a rabbit rather than buying from a pet store. Rescued rabbits will normally be neutered / spayed already and should have had at least one of their injections, (myxi / vhd). A spayed girlie will be at less risk from uterine cancer and neutered boys are less 'frisky' and more settled.

Some rescues have quite strict adoption procedures and requirements though, but please don't let that put you off. There are approx. 35,000 rabbits needing homes.

Ideally, you should look to get 2 as they are very social animals and like company, a boy / girl mix is best (but neutered!!). I have Pebbles and Barnaby. Pebbles is 3 years old and came from a lady who runs a very small rescue. I've known her since she was 3 weeks old and have had her from 8 weeks. Barnaby came from a large all-animal rescue. He was around 3/4 when I got him in 2010. His history is largely unknown but I believe he was 'abused' in some way as he isn't fond of men and some smells (dog / bbq) leave him terrified.

Some people assume rabbits are an easy pet to look after, but they aren't. I lost my first rabbit Tinker to something called gut stasis. I was in-experienced and losing him devastated me as it was my fault as I'd fed him incorrectly and didn't know the warning signs. I'm now slightly neurotic and look for the slightest little health issue!

I keep the buns and Tilly apart though. Tilly did walk up to their gate last year and they were slightly scared! Plus they could injure Tilly and Tilly may (did last year) have parasites which could infect the buns.

Sorry for the long post but as I'm sure you will understand, they are my passion a little!! I even have a rabbit tattoo

Sharon

Last edited by shay; 02-06-2013 at 05:21 AM. Reason: update
shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:38 AM   #3
shay
Egg

This is my setup taken with the gate open, but the pic is 2years old so things have changed slightly.

Meet Pebbles (dwarf lop on the right) and Barnaby (lion lop on the left)
Old 02-06-2013, 07:36 AM   #4
FLINTUS
Juvenile

I echo the above. I have two, a silver/white French lop cross-Bobby, and a pure white lop which is a mix of lionhead, cashmere and French we think-Bracken. Both rescues-both had very sad stories, Bracken in particular however Bobby will now be 6 in October so doing something right. Definitely get two! We have ours in a 6 by 8 shed with two hutches and then we have a portable small pen and a large stationary 14 by 10 off the top of my head. Don't let them free range as we lost two rabbits a few years back because of that-those guys were very good jumpers. Mainly we let them graze, but also supplement with a lot of the weeds I give to the torts, hay, excel pellets and now and again he odd cabbage, carrot, cauliflower e.t.c
1.2 Serrated/Forest Hingebacks
Fish
Snails-Achatina Fulica 'Jadatzi', Limicolaria Flammea, Limicolaria Numidica, Archachatina marginata suturalis,
Achatina Tincta

Jadatzi GALS for sale:
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...799#post610799
FLINTUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:04 AM   #5
shay
Egg

Flintus, your set-up sounds fab! I would love to move my two into a shed, that's the plan eventually with an attached run.

Mine free-range within their enclosure. Our garden is insecure plus we have foxes / cats around so I cannot risk them getting hurt / taken. There was also a mink about a mile away earlier this year that tried attacking some rabbits in their enclosure. Luckily it failed and the householder caught it but it did escape before the RSPCA came to collect. I double-checked my fencing after that

I have a purpose-built section for Tilly that she cannot escape, but birds etc have access to. She comes in at night as we have a hedgehog that likes to forage and I'm just too paranoid to leave her outside. Again, if/when I move I will build a more secure, covered enclosure for Tilly.

Just to add as well, chicken-wire is a no-no. Rabbits / foxes can chew through it so you'd need galvanised weld-mesh as fencing.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:08 AM   #6
emma_mcraf
Adult

We have a Netherland Dwarf called Bubbles. He turns 13 this August but is still in excellent health. He has a five foot hutch outside within a large run. We have made it pretty safe with anti-tunnelling skirts and a lid across, to prevent any predators getting in, due to having chickens in the garden. I've always been paranoid a fox would try to get the chickens and then turn it's attention on the rabbit and guinea pigs instead (the torts all have lids and anti-tunnelling skirts on their enclosures too but they come in at night).

Through the winter, Bubbles and the guineas have large hutches in their own playhouse, keeping them out of the winds and frosts. I put this down to Bubbles getting to such a good age.

They make wonderful pets Cheryl.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:49 AM   #7
cherylahutch
Adult

Thanks guys that's great advice. The hutch we are getting is about 3 foot so not big enough for two bunnies. I want a small breed is a mini lop a good choice? It will have a run in the garden to play in. Are they ok out doors all year round? I've seen some hutch covers that are supposed to help in the winter are they a good idea? Can they still go in there pens when it's cold? I'm guessing they are pretty hardy. I will have a look at the rescue ones I've not decided where to get one from as yet but there are some breeders on preloved I looked at as well.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:50 AM   #8
cherylahutch
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by shay View Post

This is my setup taken with the gate open, but the pic is 2years old so things have changed slightly.

Meet Pebbles (dwarf lop on the right) and Barnaby (lion lop on the left)
They are beautiful rabbits and set up looks great as well
Old 02-06-2013, 02:16 PM   #9
FLINTUS
Juvenile

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylahutch View Post
Thanks guys that's great advice. The hutch we are getting is about 3 foot so not big enough for two bunnies. I want a small breed is a mini lop a good choice? It will have a run in the garden to play in. Are they ok out doors all year round? I've seen some hutch covers that are supposed to help in the winter are they a good idea? Can they still go in there pens when it's cold? I'm guessing they are pretty hardy. I will have a look at the rescue ones I've not decided where to get one from as yet but there are some breeders on preloved I looked at as well.
You really do need two bunnies or more. When Bobby's lifelong companion, his sister died we thought he would pass off as he deteoriated rapidly until we got Bracken. The pen attached to the hutch should have a cover on it, no rabbit should be in a hutch 24/7. You could get away with a 5ft hutch for a pair of mini lops-my guys are mini, or at least meant to be- as long as they have a pen attached. I really wouldn't leave a hutch outside in the open, the rabbits will not like it and it will die quickly-believe me, I speak from personal experience! Try and construct like a shelter over the hutch and pen. Before moving my pair to the shed we used to have them in the garage-don't worry we didn't keep any cars or that sought in there- with a hutch and pen attached. Get a rescue one please, there are so many that need homes. They aren't that cold tolerant and each rabbit will have their own preferences. However as long as it's not frosted over, very heavy rain or very hot I will put them outside.
Fish
Snails-Achatina Fulica 'Jadatzi', Limicolaria Flammea, Limicolaria Numidica, Archachatina marginata suturalis,
Achatina Tincta

Jadatzi GALS for sale:
Old 02-06-2013, 02:17 PM   #10
FLINTUS
Juvenile

Just realised I need to get some pics of their set up, never have taken any for some reason
Fish
Achatina Tincta

Jadatzi GALS for sale: