Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 18-12-2008, 06:32 PM   #1
Pla
Egg

Default Wine Cooler - Hibernation

Hi can someone help. Will a wine cooler be ok to hibernate mine in rather than a fridge?
Pla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2008, 06:38 PM   #2
swad1000
Adult

As long as it cools down to around 5C and can maintain that temperature it should be fine.

But people have reported lots of problems keeping a stable temp with these.
swad1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2008, 07:42 PM   #3
lucy1
Incubating

Hello,

I have Bud beer fridge that I bought and have had it up and running with box containing substrate and also coke bottle to substitute Torty's weight and all temps stable at the moment. She will be going in there in 2 weeks or so.
xx
lucy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2008, 04:36 PM   #4
Pla
Egg

Hi there, mine is similar to that. I have set it up today so I can monitor it. Have put a box in there and some bottles of water., so will see how it goes. Have also ordered a new thermometer so hopefully that will arrive next week so I can get a more accurate reading of temp. I do have a thermometer but its not digital. If it settles well and temp is ok I will start the wind down. Am a bit nervous as this is my first hibernation. Will let you know how it goes with the cooler.
Pla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2008, 10:45 PM   #5
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

should be OK if you can maintain a suitable temperature so that for instance when your central heating comes on the fridge temp doesn't zoom up too much. Some fluctuations are fine as long as they are within suitable limits. Some really small fridge units don't keep enough stability.

I've had a couple down for a rest for about 6 weeks now and they are doing fine. I check their weight weekly and have a quick look every day. I know they are still living creatures as the legs move when I lift them out and they settle back down when I lie them down again. This helps with the anxiety (a bit).