Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 02-11-2007, 03:19 PM   #21
lilacgeorge
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to lilacgeorge

WOW! You lot I'm very impressed!!!!

I have got Hermanns torts. I have just bought a T-rex flood combi bulb (today!) and I also have a Arcadia compact UV light and am currently uses normal spot for the heat on both tables. One of my tables is a pre-made bought one and the other is a old bookcase salvaged from the school.

I shall measure up now and PM you....

2.1.2 ~ THB

Frank ~ Tallulah ~ Grace ~ Archie ~ Teefa ~ Mollie

0.0.1 Bearded Dragon ~ Freckles

lilacgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 03:23 PM   #22
wildlifewarrior
Banned
Adult

Send a message via MSN to wildlifewarrior

can u post pics of ur lighting and such so i know what sort of fixtures u are using.

will u be wnating to make complety new tort tables then or do u just want to have the 2 u have now but make then double....as if this is the case then i need to see pics of them and know what there made from as certain types of wood don't go well together.
wildlifewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 03:45 PM   #23
wildlifewarrior
Banned
Adult

these are extremly rough drawings and had to take the pic with my cam as i don't no how to use the new scanner, my bro does tho. this is the bunk table design.

the lines aren't stright as hand draw design deveolments shud never be drawn with rulers or pencils as i aren't able tyo draw freely.

baically this is a quick design i cam up with, the legs are on the inside on the bottom but has more hieght that the top so the ground flooring can extrude so ther eis more gorund space.

Old 02-11-2007, 04:07 PM   #24
lilacgeorge
Sub Adult

Mmmm, how do you put photo's on here........[/url]

2.1.2 ~ THB

Old 02-11-2007, 04:13 PM   #25
wildlifewarrior
Banned
Adult

two ways, either take the pic then when u are wirting the message u click on add image to post under the box ur typing in or go and create an account on photobucket.com and do it that way.
Old 02-11-2007, 04:33 PM   #26
lilacgeorge
Sub Adult

OK, here goes...

The last one is just to show you what I ment when I said it was up on the computor cupboard! Neither of these setups are ideal but my little girl (who's in the bookcase table) was a rehomer so I didn't have much notice of her coming.

So please ignore these setups before anyone says they're not suitable - thats what this post is all about - making tham suitable!

Alcove measurements are 42" width (absolute max) by 31" depth. So maybe something that measures 40" x 30"???? Would that be big enough? Obviously hight is normal room hight though I don't want them too high!!!

As for using current tables, it may look nicer if they were matching and so from scratch I feel......

I look forward to seeing what you come up with...........

2.1.2 ~ THB

Old 02-11-2007, 04:45 PM   #27
wildlifewarrior
Banned
Adult

i wish ir ead the post twice....i was wondering if iwas looking at the wrong pics as i cud not see ur little girl in the girl....i now realise that it is a tortoise.

from looking at the pics it seems u have a heat lamp and a uv. i don't think these massive lights are needed as if there too hot then u can just get a lower wattage.

will get to work on the design tonight. by depth i mean hieght.....so by depth do u mean length. do u know the hieght and length of ur torts as the sides will been be be twice as big so they can't escape.

are u able to cut the wood u need ur self or wud u like a cutting list so u can go to a hardware store and have it done for u.
Old 02-11-2007, 04:53 PM   #28
lilacgeorge
Sub Adult

LOL! Sorry, just assumed you'd no what I ment!!!

My light set up at the mo is the smaller table just has a normal spot bulb for heat in an Arcadia holder and the bookcase has an arcadia compact UV bulb in a Arcadia holder (These are ceramic holders) and the black one is a normal desk lamp with a spot bulb in.

As I said earlier I (today)) purchased a T-rex 100 watt flood UV/heat combi bulb. I could purchase another one so that I got one on each table. These have to hang vertically though and I was hoping to use the Arcadia holders to save a bit of money

As for wood cutting, I have got a jig-saw but I'm female nd thats very sharp!!! I can and have used it but if DIY shop will cut would prefer that, so yes could I have the appropiate info for that please..

Thank you!

Sorry in answer to your other questions; the alcove is 42" from side to side (width) and 31" from front to back (depth). Thats if you were standing facing the alcove with the depth measurement I wouldn't want to come into the room anymore than 31" as there is a doorway at the side so would be a hazard.

The biggest tort is 15cm long .

2.1.2 ~ THB

Old 02-11-2007, 05:02 PM   #29
wildlifewarrior
Banned
Adult

the vertical bulb is fine, thats easy to fix on. i will sort a cutting list out for u and the equipment u need.

p.s. a jig saw ani't gonna t the wud u need as the saw's motor is not string enough. just go into the store and pretend u know what ur on about and u will be fine

will start on a few design and trt get them done for tomoz
Old 02-11-2007, 05:04 PM   #30
lilacgeorge
Sub Adult

Thank you! You are a Star!!!!

I can't wait to see what you come up with!

2.1.2 ~ THB