Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 25-02-2014, 06:20 PM   #11
Cali
Egg

I keep trying to reply to this thread but my replies never show up?
Cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 04:50 PM   #12
burnt toast
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali View Post
I keep trying to reply to this thread but my replies never show up?
Seem to remember your first five posts have to be authorised by admin? I think to stop spam. But I seee your now up to five, so fire away
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 08:00 PM   #13
Cali
Egg

Thanks! I've responded to a few of the questions but my replies have got hidden further back in the thread so I'll try and ask all the questions again. I can see from the advice and from the research I have done that housing the tortoises with the chickens wouldn't be at all suitable. I'm thinking of buying a run for the tortoises and putting it in the 'nature' area of our garden where there are lots of wild plants. Are there any plants I should look out for and remove? The run includes a shelter and the largest one I can find with solid sides is 8'x3'. Will that be big enough? We would make one but honestly our garden has been hammered during the winds and we already have a ridiculously long list of things that need rebuilding and fixing, enough to keep my husband busy until next winter I think!

The male(?) tortoise is sometimes aggressive to the female(?) tortoise and has damaged her shell in the past. We assume he was trying to have his wicked way and she was resisting. My grandma did find eggs once. Should I keep them seperate all the time, or just seperate them if there is any sign of this aggression? Is there any other way of preventing this (I'd rather stick to one run if its possible! Perhaps I could just put a divider in when needed)

Several people have advised cold frames/ bringing the tortoises indoors if the weather is less than 10C. Is that really necessary for tortoises that have lived outdoors without any of that for decades? If it is I will have to think how to house them indoors as well. Also, how do I manage hibernation? They have been previously just allowed to bury themselves in the garden. Will they be ok in the shed in boxes or something, and how do I know when they're ready? They are fine to stay where they are until they wake up this winter so no need to disturb their hibernation.
Old 26-02-2014, 08:06 PM   #14
Cali
Egg

Also, thank you for the offers to identify the tortoises I would really appreciate that. As soon as they are awake and I have them (they are currently on the other side of the country) I will take some pictures.
Old 26-02-2014, 08:22 PM   #15
becciwales
Adult

I'm sure you could use a divider if necessary, I'm not really experienced with outdoor torts as mine are still hatchlings (I think I said this earlier ) but someone will help you out with a definite answer

This will give you advice on what plants are safe and what to avoid:
http://m.thetortoisetable.org.uk/m/tortoise_home_1.asp

I can't advise about the cold frame, indoor housing on torts that have always been out I'm afraid, but the run with a built in house sounds good.

1:2:0 Testudo Hermanni Boettgeri -
Darwin, Galileo, and Einstein.

Archimedes (THB) RIP June, 2018
becciwales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 08:52 PM   #16
Suze65
Adult

Males being aggressive to the female is normal courtship behaviour, but if they in a confined space and the female can't get away, the male can cause damage to her and stress her, so they do need to be separated.
They probably are quite hardy after years of living out in the garden all year, but I would still provide them with some sort of waterproof shelter, I'm sure they would benefit from a cold frame or greenhouse or small shed, even a small animal kennel. Have a look on the housing section, at pictures of other peoples out door enclosures, to get some ideas.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ead.php?t=4920

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 09:39 PM   #17
Cali
Egg

Does this look ok?
http://www.ukrabbithutches.co.uk/tortoiseruns.html

I can easily put some felt on the roof of the shelter to make it waterproof.

The pictures of other outdoor enclosures in that link are very elaborate! Is it ok just to put the run straight down on the grass in the garden? Are they likely to be able to dig their way out? There are lots of wild plants there but I could plant some extra. Do they need anything else- loose soil or a slab to bask on or anything? They are not used to having a water bowl even, but presumably this is needed?
Old 26-02-2014, 09:52 PM   #18
becciwales
Adult

I'd say yes to a water bowl and the bigger the run the better. Could they have some supervised free roaming time too?

The entrance to the house seems quite small if they are big torts.

Some soil to dig in would be good for them too, they love to bury themselves x

Old 26-02-2014, 09:53 PM   #19
becciwales
Adult

The 8'x6' rabbit run with a box put in would be a better size maybe?

Old 26-02-2014, 09:56 PM   #20
Cali
Egg

I thought that solid sides were needed, are mesh sides ok? That would make things easier.

I also found this one (the 'tortoise complex'):
http://www.riversidehutches.homecall.co.uk/page8.html

It is smaller but I could add substrate and make sure it isn't too wet. Perhaps I could also extend it with one of the runs they sell? Would that be better?