Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Shelled Warriors Shop, Classifieds and Rehoming > Classifieds > Wanted

Old 28-07-2013, 10:18 PM   #21
Catwoman63
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanako View Post
I would think so. It is the natural thing for animals and humans to do. I know that animals do it usually to breed but saying that female animals dislike it is a bit presumptuous. If they really disliked it, they would make that they are not caught by any male.
Have you seen a male go after a female? They are quite aggressive and the females arnt willing participants (based on my own torts experience) they bite and pester till the female eventually gives in, so I don't think they do enjoy it, well a odd few might lol x

0.3.0 - T Horsfieldii (Xena, Zelda & Lilly)
2.2.0 - TG Terrestris (Zeus, Astreus / Zagreus & Alexia)
1.2.0 - Zebra Finches (Gunner / Bonnie & May)
0.1.0 - SBT (Hazel)
1.0.0 - FBD (Ted)
Catwoman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2013, 11:04 PM   #22
vyolla
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by alley cat View Post
Urm? definitely not for breeding? how are you going to stop him if they are to live together?
I'm not going to incubate the eggs. They won't hatch on their own here without assistance.
vyolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2013, 11:11 PM   #23
vyolla
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by alley cat View Post
I think you are missing the point here, in the wild the tortoise can chose to escape the males advances or mate, in captivity she would have little chance of escaping for long in a confined space so every day her life would be about trying to avoid the male, in my opinion this would be cruel
Can I just say that I don't keep any of my torts in confined spaces. My sully gets a third of an acre (I've nearly seven acres to my name). I've room to separate.

My friend keeps sullies too, she has 5 (3 males, 2 females). She has no problems whatsoever with females being bashed to bits. She owns a couple of fields too, I wonder if the issues many of you are describing are to do with a lack of space?

Are any of you sully owners, out of interest?
Old 29-07-2013, 12:53 AM   #24
Wanda
Hatched

I would love to be but don't have the space ��
Wanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 04:33 AM   #25
lynnedit
Hatched

Don't be ridiculous.
Many of us are not Sulcata owners, but being one does not give you the expertise to generalize to all members of the species.
There are many posts on many forums from members with multiple Sulcatas, about the difficulty of housing tortoises together, Sulcatas included.
The main difference is the space that Sulcatas require compared to the smaller tortoises.
People are simply saying that if you get a second Sulcata tortoise (female to add to a male, in particular), be prepared to monitor them closely and house them separately.
If it works out that your male Sulcata does not regard the female as a constant sex toy and let's her live a relatively peaceful life, then that's great!
Just remember that tortoises range over HECTACRES in the wild. They meet occasionally to mate or fight , not 100x per day, so of course they procreate in the wild.
There are plenty of tortoises that need to be rehomed, so hopefully you can accomplish that.
Pacific NW, US
lynnedit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 08:15 AM   #26
alley cat
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyolla View Post
Female Sulcata wanted, age 5+ - definitely not for breeding, but as a companion for my 6 year old male sully, who keeps trying to get a meaningful conversation out of a football

He's having a whale of a time, but would like a friend.
Here it is in your original post.....definitely not for breeding.....

How do you know he would like a friend? most tortoises in the wild live a solitary life and only get together for breeding purposes.

Quote:
I'm not going to incubate the eggs. They won't hatch on their own here without assistance.
Here is the contradiction.....they will be breeding, just that you will decide whether to incubate the eggs!

Quote:
Can I just say that I don't keep any of my torts in confined spaces. My sully gets a third of an acre (I've nearly seven acres to my name). I've room to separate.

I wonder if the issues many of you are describing are to do with a lack of space?

Are any of you sully owners, out of interest?
I am not a sully owner, I don't have the space, I do however have ample space for the torts I do keep.

If I were a sully owner who happened to have a female for sale I would not sell you a female to be housed on a 1.1 ratio.
alley cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 08:42 AM   #27
vyolla
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnedit View Post
Don't be ridiculous.
Many of us are not Sulcata owners, but being one does not give you the expertise to generalize to all members of the species.
If that's directed at me, I'm being neither ridiculous or claiming to be an expert. I asked if any of you were sully owners because I don't know who is, and who isn't. I'm new to this forum.

Must say, bar a couple of people, you guys are rather aggressive on this particular forum, I've not encountered one like this before.

All I wanted to do was place an ad (maybe I've put it in the wrong section?) to let any sully owners know that, should they need to rehome their sully at any point, I can offer a nice permanent home to them, where they can keep in touch and get photos and updates on how their pet is doing (can even Skype them!). I've plenty of space, full of weeds and grasses that sullies love, and nice accommodation. Seems a shame to just have one sully.

I don't claim to be an 'expert', I never did. I can only tell you that I'm familiar with how to care this species and have the means to do so.

Sorry if I've offended anyone, as I said, I'm new. I don't think I'll be staying around here though.
Old 29-07-2013, 02:53 PM   #28
becciwales
Adult

My garden wouldn't house a sulcata, the size of them, a few paces and they'd be at the other side!!
I do wonder as above how you can stop breeding, not incubating is not not breeding!
My mum had 2 torts years ago when they were 10 a penny in the UK and no laws/certification and they fought constantly! This is why I just got 1. But with a few acres, you could at least separate them with plenty of space.

1:2:0 Testudo Hermanni Boettgeri -
Darwin, Galileo, and Einstein.

Archimedes (THB) RIP June, 2018
becciwales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 11:50 PM   #29
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

Never like when threads go this way/direction. I don't mind if someone needs to be gotten after about tortoise related issues. Just wish that people would ask questions first before assuming (which we all know what that does to you and me ) you know what the poster is doing exactly or is looking to do. The more information you know the better the advice you will give.

Consider hands and bottoms smacked

Danny
Old 30-07-2013, 08:38 AM   #30
alley cat
Adult

Danny...if you are meaning my posts then I have to say that I feel I have been polite, I have questioned the intentions of the poster as they have made contradictions in what they have said. I have in no way assumed anything, only replied to what was written.
I think it is wrong to house 1 male and 1 female tortoise together of any species, this has been said by numerous people on numerous occasions on this forum so why is this situation any different?
The poster states that the female will definitely not be for breeding, this is clearly not the case and has caused the thread to go in the direction that it has, if the poster had not included that statement then I would not have even replied to the post in the first place. The fact is that the female will be for breeding but that the eggs will not be incubated, that is a very different thing altogether and as already mentioned, one which I do not agree with.

vyolla...my original question to you was a straight forward one as I was genuinely wondering how no breeding was going to be managed, however, the respose triggered strong feelings from others as well as myself, it was never my intention to cause trouble so I appologize for that and feel sorry that as a new member your experience of the forum has been a poor one.
alley cat is offline   Reply With Quote