Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > Other Animals

Old 13-04-2011, 06:28 PM   #1
lindso3000
Adult

Send a message via MSN to lindso3000
Unhappy Dog Attack

Hi everyone
something awful happened to our beautiful pet dog [before you read this i want to let you know she is fine and unharmed! my parents nerves however havent!]

My mum and dad were walking our 2 dogs, woody and honey in the country.
Whilst walking they came across a loose rottweiler who had escaped. They dog came straight for Honey and pinned her down by the neck
she was screaching and very scared and pooed herself in fear.
our other dog, woody, was barking
both of our dogs were on leads
my dad had to kick the rotty to get him off honey. another couple were passing and knew where this dog lives and managed to drag him off honey

what i want to know is has anyone experienced this before? what are you supposed to do? is there anything you can carry to warn the other dog off?

Honey is lucky to be alive and uninjured from the attack. she didnt do anything to provoke the attack
Old 13-04-2011, 06:40 PM   #2
TortBabe
Adult

What a horrific experience for you all I'm glad she is ok. If I were you I would find out where the dog lives and report it, to the RSPCA or that, its obviously a very dangerous dog
Old 13-04-2011, 07:08 PM   #3
Pussygalore
Adult

I think the police wouldn't be a bad idea, it could have been a child or an elderly person with a dog.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 07:12 PM   #4
MiShelley
Hatchling

We get this sort of thing quite a lot (unfortunately we live on a pretty nasty estate (the only place we could afford to buy a house)). I would contact the police and play it up as much as you can - tell them that you've seen young children playing around the area and you're really concerned for their safety etc. If you report something for the police they have to either follow it up themselves or hand it to the dog warden. The owners should then be given a talking to and a warning which should scare them enough to keep it under control in future!
I've been there and it's absolutely petrifying, I really feel for you and I hope your poor doggies are ok.
Our neighbours have a dog that is always off the lead and goes for my dogs and has bitten my ankles a few times. I came in crying to hubby one day so he started to take me and the dogs outside and booted it every time it came near us, I felt awful for it but it runs away when it sees me now and I feel loads safer! I hate the fact that he might've hurt it but I couldn't have taken my baby girl outside knowing it was there.
Some people shouldn't be allowed pets!
MiShelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 07:56 PM   #5
pixie-egg
Sub Adult

Yes first thing to do is contact the police. It's very serious and they'll treat it as such.
You can get a milder (as proper ones are illegal) versions of pepper sprays. I can't remember what they are called. Dog repellers or something like that. And you can get high pitched noisey sprays that you don't hear but they do scare most dogs. Only thing with them is that it'll also work on your dog. Can't remember what they are called either. I worked in a camping/walking shop and we sold them.
Hope your parents are ok. It is bloody frightening when something like that happens. A pit bull attacked my dog years ago and I can still remember the noise. Really scary. The lady who owned it ended up being prosecuted as many others reported it too. I really hope she's never allowed another dog.
Please do report it. Your dog is ok but next time may not be. X
Old 13-04-2011, 08:18 PM   #6
BeatBeat
Hatchling

Oh how awful for your mum and dad as well as the poor dogs too. It is such a horrid thing to happen. I have 3 dogs myself and so I know how aweful you all must be feeling. I totally agree you should contact the police, this was clearly a dog out of control in a public place.

0.2.0 Testudo Hermanni Boettgeri (Matilda & Maizie)
3.0.0 Shetland Sheepdogs (Bryan, Cali & Bubble)
BeatBeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 08:58 PM   #7
Aliza
Juvenile

2 staffies killed my beautiful pussy cat Piglet outside our front door 3 years ago. We have no idea where they came from or went. You should report it to the police, maybe if you see the couple again you could ask them where the owner lives so you can tell the police.
Old 14-04-2011, 09:39 AM   #8
suttysue
Sub Adult

We had this happen in my town recently and it was splashed all over the local evening press. So suggest you call your local paper. They will name & shame as ours did.
As said befor report it to the police.
If you took your doggy to your vet for a check up I bet you can claim for damages etc against the owners of the rotten rotty (not all rotties are rotten).
I am so sorry your dog & your parents had to go through this it must have been very disturbing for all concerned.
I am a life long dog owner (not at the moment though, lost my little fella last August) & it realy makes my blood boil when owners are so irresponcable.
Take care
Sue
suttysue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 06:22 PM   #9
lindso3000
Adult

Send a message via MSN to lindso3000

Thanks everyone for your lovely replies
my mum has phoned the dog warden for the area who said hes had complaints before and is going to go round to their house, luckily he knows where the dog is from
my concern is any smaller dog might not have been so lucky, or a person, child or cat etc etc