Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Edible Weeds, Diet & Suppliments

Old 16-11-2007, 03:25 PM   #1
EJ
Adult

Default Plant list... what do you feed your tortoise?

This will only work if you are honest about it.

List as many of the plants as you can that you HONESTLY feed to your tortoise on a daily basis considering tortoises normally feed daily.
Try to list the quanty (leaves, ounces, grams...), Common name and Latin name if you can.

Try and do it in a list form so it is easier to read.
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2007, 03:42 PM   #2
Jason1
Hatched

Sorry no good with Latin names but here goes. This is the variety throughout the year. All apart from the last eight items are present in there enclosure so they help themselves. variety differs throughout the year. this time of year is probably the worst as the frost have started so at the moment from the list below there is dandilion, clover, vetch, plantain, stinging nettle, buttercup in the enclosure but I also add Lavatera, wall flower, forget me not, prickly pear (a full pad four times this year over a week), aloe vera, pansy and loads of fallen silver birch leaves which they seem to like. i cant comment on the amount they eat because it is mostly through foraging.

Dandilion
hawkbits
sow thistle
nipplewortplantain-three varieties
clover-white and red
vetch-2 varieties
campanula
bind weed
bittercress
milk thistle
chickweed
dead nettle
stinging nettle
creeping butter cup

Not in the enclosure

Nasturtium
Lavatera
Wall flower
forget-me-not
Prickly pear
Aloe Vera
pansy
Silver birch tree leaves

shop bought

Florette crispy
romain
cucumber
occaisonal tomato, strawberry and grape
Jason1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2007, 04:06 PM   #3
Pies
Hatched

Strewth Ed!
Are you trying to prove a point here?
Lets face it, I doubt any of us count the number of leaves of any particular variety. I doubt, also, that any of us has a chemical beam balance to weigh them on.
You just know if your tort has eaten well today, or not. I very much doubt that you know how much pellet/water mix any individual of yours has eaten. As for the variety, it changes from day to day.
Over a period of time it would include (in no paticular order)

Dandelion
Hawkbit
Hawks Beard
Sow Thistle
Prickly Lettuce
Common Mallow
Bindweed
Plantains
Chicory
Pansy
Viola
Rocket
Watercress
Oxalis
Chickweed
Clover
Cucumber

If you are still trying to promote pellets over nature, you said yourself, it's bland. A different mix each day means interesting eating.
Variety is the spice of life, even for torts!

Ban the import of tortoises, sign the petition at http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/769012123
Pies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2007, 04:37 PM   #4
wildlifewarrior
Banned
Adult

Send a message via MSN to wildlifewarrior

pies no offence or anything mate but can we not try to start an arguement.....ed has just stated that he wud like to knwo what u feed ur torts..........as ed knows i am not his biggest fan but i do have say that he has not actually promoted the use of pellets he just stated his views and disscussed things that he has tried. also if u have a problem in one topic then try not bring it over the next one.
wildlifewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2007, 05:17 PM   #5
terrypin
Adult

hi Ed what an interesting thread im sorry i cant give quantitys because my torts the meds in particular have large enclosures and free range as such they have no real restriction in thier intake only the weather and the speed they can chew at. i have to say that all mine are have access to grass at all times when they are outside and i hope to have this sorted for the indoor enclosures for the juveniles and hatchlings this year as well.so apart from this i collect for supplementary feeding
smooth sowthistle
spiney sowthistle
ribwort and hoary plantain
ratstail plantain
common mallow
hhawkbit
hawksbeard
dandelion
perrenial sowthistle
vetch
apart from these items i confess to the use cf cos lettuce at times in small amounts
my main leopard enclosure is full of thistle and clover also this iswere i collect my vetch as i only feed it in limited amounts to the meds.
terry
this is a sub adult hermanni that i have bred and raised myself on this sort of diet obviously nothing is written in stone and has been subject to slight variation over the years.
Old 16-11-2007, 05:46 PM   #6
sarah
Administrator
Adult

Interesting post Ed.

I have no idea how much in grams i give.

Stars fed twise a day and gain 2-4grams a month.
Pancakes large handful every day.
Ibera adults twise a day sometimes varies.
Hermann 3 years old small amount gains 2-4g a month.
Reds 3/4 carrier bag and fruit ,and cat biscuits once a week.

I was having bad luck with my tunisians they were not gaining weight and were losing some. So i decided to feed twise a day and see how it went, now they gain 4g a month and are thriving.

I go on weight gain rather than feeding what fits on a shell as all species are different.

I also find UVB plays a huge part.

I feed
dandelions
Bittercress
Sow/ smooth thistle
vetch
mallow
chicory
Evening primros
Nipplwort
Dead Nettle
Bedstraw
Hawkbit
Yarrow
clover red and white
Self Heal
Trefoil
Plantain
Chickweed
Bindweed (small amounts)

In the winter they will have mixed salad, with greens.

Alos i have noticed once outside they will eat huge amounts of grass especially my iberas and reds.

STRUGGLING TO FIND WEEDS? LOOK AT OUR DRIED WEEDS 'READY TO FEED'

Home of 'Grow Your Own Food' Bearded Dragon, Tortoise, Rabbit, Hamster seed mixes from 89p FREE POST
Livefood, Thermostats, Housing, Heating, Mercury Vapour bulbs, UVB etc etc CHEAP PRICES
TORTOISES ARE MY PASSION
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2007, 05:46 PM   #7
EJ
Adult

This is the kind of evidence I love to see. This gives me some insight as to how to raise a tortoise in the shape I find apealing.

The common factor that seems to exist in your case is that you live in an area very similar to their natural habitat and they appear to be given enough choice to make up for any short comings that might exist because they are not in their native range.

As to the above post. I personally wasn't looking for what everyone feeds. I thought everyone would find it interesting. I'll get into it in more detail in a few days if and when more post.

The other thing is that keepers get a 'feeling' of what the tortoise needs or provided with to get the development we are looking for. This is not easily conveyed and I get a giggle when it is implied that this is an easy topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrypin
hi Ed what an interesting thread im sorry i cant give quantitys because my torts the meds in particular have large enclosures and free range as such they have no real restriction in thier intake only the weather and the speed they can chew at. i have to say that all mine are have access to grass at all times when they are outside and i hope to have this sorted for the indoor enclosures for the juveniles and hatchlings this year as well.so apart from this i collect for supplementary feeding
smooth sowthistle
spiney sowthistle
ribwort and hoary plantain
ratstail plantain
common mallow
hhawkbit
hawksbeard
dandelion
perrenial sowthistle
vetch
apart from these items i confess to the use cf cos lettuce at times in small amounts
my main leopard enclosure is full of thistle and clover also this iswere i collect my vetch as i only feed it in limited amounts to the meds.
terry
this is a sub adult hermanni that i have bred and raised myself on this sort of diet obviously nothing is written in stone and has been subject to slight variation over the years.
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2007, 05:47 PM   #8
pawsplus
Hatched

I have a redfoot, so the dietary requirements are quite a bit different from the grazing tortoises. I feed a good bit of fruit, trying to stay, for the most part, w/ tropical types that a RF might conceiveably encounter in the wild:

mango
papaya
star fruit
kiwi
strawberry
plums
prickly pear fruit
opuntia cactus pads
dandelions
chickory
plaintain
wild violets
hibiscus leaves and flowers (all summer long)

And b/c I have a RF (who eat more leafy stuff than the grazing torts do), I feed a bit of assorted Spring Mix in the wintertime (when I have no weeds to pick).

I am trying to expand my weed-hunting abilities but have found it difficult in part b/c most of my weed gurus are in the UK, and there are diff. things there than we have here. I'm not sure if what I have here is what is safe or not. Working on it, though.

I feed a SMALL amount of very high-quality cat food, re-hydrated, a few times a month.

And, of course, I feed calcium w/ D3.

I feed daily, but in VERY small amounts. I toss around a few weeds for her to find, and put a bite or 2 of 3-4 fruits up on her rock.

I guess that for me, EJ, the QUALITY of the food is what I am focusing on here. I may not hit all the nutrients required every meal, but I think I get pretty close, and every bite of food is REAL food, not processed, with no preservatives. I buy organic wherever possible. The ingredients in that Mazuri diet are very low-quality--for the most part, what is left over in the manufacturing process after other products have used up whatever good was in them. I do not feed food w/ those kinds of ingredients to myself, my dogs, my cats, or my tortoise.
pawsplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2007, 05:55 PM   #9
ghone
Egg

dandelion
plantain
clover
chickweed
dock
hibiscus
aloe vera
opuntia
sedum
grape vine
dead nettle
pansy
ice plant
ghone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2007, 06:02 PM   #10
Pies
Hatched

is it a quiz Ed. Who gets the prize, what for, and what is it?

Ban the import of tortoises, sign the petition at http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/769012123
Pies is offline   Reply With Quote