Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Edible Weeds, Diet & Suppliments

Old 26-11-2015, 12:35 PM   #1
Finsky
Incubating

Default Tortoise greenery

I've started to plan my tortoises outdoor 'estate' for next summer and how to plant it. I don't have issue with available space..plenty of that, just what 'spot to choose' as currently most of the available area is growing something weedy or purposely planted.
I just can't decide what would be best ground as starting point..'rough/weedy' grassy area, just weedy soil or bare soil that will sprout new weeds next spring.
What would you think as ideal starting point for Horsfield tortoise?
Sowing or transplanting new plants is not problem..plenty of supplies for that.. ...as my 'garden' space is rather large allotment plot behind my house..all 'private' and secure and nobody is not able to wonder in just like that.
My issue is more of 'too much to choose from'.
Adding substrates is not issue neither...I have plenty of horticultural grit and different kind of 'clean' sands to add onto soil...'thinking..maybe 'bare' soil with added drainage and purposely sown/planted weeds'???
Would some rough lawn grass be bother for Horsefields??
UH...suffering with 'too many thoughts and not enough brain power' moment!
Finsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 04:29 PM   #2
CherryBrandy
Adult

definitely look at some enclosures for ideas, lots of good ones on this site or add tortoise pen/ enclosure to internet and choose images (sorry if sucking eggs !). Horsfields love to dig. You mustn't under estimate a Horsfields ability to climb and dig down - metres....upon metre. even my smallest ones have moved heavy pots out the way - climbed up vertical walls, mesh, bricks (5 high), dug under thick heavy industrial wooden sleepers and come up the wider side of the garden and a first for me through a drain pipe buried into the earth. If you can ideally chicken wire a metre down, and lips on walls . triangles over corners and must above all else not hold the damp - so a good draining substrate on most of the area. I sound like I'm talking about some wild like creature that miraculously disappears after a Houdini style performance. Oh I am ! it is called a Horsfield tortoise ! CB
Old 26-11-2015, 06:10 PM   #3
Finsky
Incubating

Really!..they are as 'bad' as that!
I have already read about them being diggers and had thought about 'underground construction'...but I have hugely under estimated their capabilities! I though maybe a foot or so under frame should do the job..
Good thing that I like to do my research before starting doing anything

I have something already in mind, that resembles something like polytunnel but in smaller scale. Having just built another full size polytunnel for my plant growing, I have plenty of left over supplies to make matching one for Putin to lounge about. Not a permanently fixed one, but thinking of idea with base and movable/adjustable 'tunnel' top.

Would something like 2m/3m x 1.5m be enough wondering around space to keep worst escape ideas from its mind...or should I be looking hiring another garden plot..
Old 26-11-2015, 06:22 PM   #4
CherryBrandy
Adult

can be ! some of mine don't seem to bother much. The boys I find are the worst, say no more, sorry ! If you read the books it is something along the lines of 9ft by 9ft minimum area for (edited the up to bit ) meant for a 12 inch tortoise, room to graze. I know yours isn't a hatchling. He will march the parameter too finding his feet! and like a little velocaraptor finding the weakness ! they are brilliant fun ! CB

Last edited by CherryBrandy; 26-11-2015 at 06:59 PM.
CherryBrandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 06:24 PM   #5
Finsky
Incubating

Talking about greenery...doing some planting to new enclosure, that is the part I really looking forward already..and maybe I need to leave few tufts of established grass/turf on...so that there is something for my 'monster' to rip into. Can't let him to have too easy time escaping....!

The short time I had him wake and eating, before going to his winter rest...I already managed to get him eat 20 different species of plants! I was only just warming up for the new horticultural experiences..roll on next year..there won't be weed on site with my new found 'goat'..
Old 26-11-2015, 06:26 PM   #6
Finsky
Incubating

AH...OK..another under estimation.....I shall double all my plans..
Old 26-11-2015, 06:58 PM   #7
CherryBrandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finsky View Post
AH...OK..another under estimation.....I shall double all my plans..
have a little check around, I should have said for a 12 inch tortoise sorry. ( I will edit) yours is smaller. ! weeds galore ! super job, CB
Old 26-11-2015, 07:10 PM   #8
Finsky
Incubating

yep..he is only 5".
Old 27-11-2015, 01:18 AM   #9
alley cat
Adult

As a starting point I would pick the sunniest spot in the area available, none of my horsfields eat grass so it is not essential, having said that some grassy tufts are good for digging around and shading under! A variety of surfaces is a good idea, limestone chipping, maybe some flat wooden pieces as they warm up nicely and a couple of smooth slabs that kind of thing.
alley cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 09:55 AM   #10
Finsky
Incubating

Thanks..'scribbling all the suggestions down on paper...list is getting longer and longer'...yep, I have all that kind of 'stuff' plenty around.

Hmm..I wonder now if I should leave the ground 'as it is with some improvements (sand, grit etc) and use some sort of 'material' vertically under the frame to prevent digging out....OR...if it would be 'safer' bet to dig out the soil from the whole pen area (say foot deep or so?), line it with thick horticultural weed membrane (type that still allow drainage but wont rip) and then fill it back up with now loosened and 'improved' soil that has been mixed in all the drainage stuff..and then plant/sow some greenery in...weeds, tufts of grass, edible flowers, small bush or something etc etc.
Hmmmm....???